UFC Gold (again) no definitive proof of the best!

If Hendro, Hendo and Weidman (true #1's) are denied fights in favor of Sonnen's (and Diaz's) for ratings and $$, then no matter how many fans think a fighter is the best it's just an unproven opinion. We can be SO SURE of a result but at the end of the day, that's why they fight! It MUST be proven.

Hendro (14-1), winner of five straight including Fitch, Kos, and the Hitman in his last three is as clear a number one as posible (9-1 in the UFC overall). Yet he's at a crossroad as a fighter who lost his last fight and was suspended for a year we're told will get the shot. Things don't get more comical than giving Sonnen a shot at the LHW title as he's never even one a single big fight in the division and he's coming off a loss. A clear move for FOX ratings (TUF) and great legend of the sport 4-0 ( wins over Shogun, Fedor, Feijao for SF belt, Babalu) is again denied his due. Things appear even worse for Hendo as we're told Gus will fight next after even though other than Shogun he's never beaten a top rated fighter. This is all after Hendo had to wait for Evans who only beat Tito (1 win in 5 years he had) in 2011 Vs Hendo's wins (above) and he could not get the shot he was promised written in his contract after UFC 100 leading to his exit from the UFC (per Hendo). Weidman took much abuse on this forum and many of us really did not not give him a great shot at beating AS (and we understood AS wants to make $$) but he had beaten a top five fighter in (Munoz) and a top 10 (#6 in many places) in Maia at the time he fought them and no one else was close at that point at all in terms of top 10 victories. Yet AS's camp turned down the fight. He does have both great BJJ and Wrestling.

Who is the best now is under dispute and that dispute is legit, it matters NOT if 90 percent of fans think it is not. This is the result of these crap fights. You can't have a real sport and deny a real #1 a shot for ANY consideration at all without creating a serious doubt as to who the best is period. Moreover, in our age with fighters getting injured as often as they do, who is to say they will ever get the opportunity again or EVEN if they do that they will be at the same level (maybe they are just getting to old for this crap too - Hendo) as when they were denied!

Ufc is entertainment, not a sport.. Phone Post

Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

Sports are entertainment, UFC is absolutely a sport.

And to TS are you saying Silva, Jones and GSP arent the best LHW/MW/WW in the world because they havent fought Hendo, Weidman and Hendricks yet? LOL.

Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

And to TS are you saying Silva, Jones and GSP arent the best LHW/MW/WW in the world because they havent fought Hendo, Weidman and Hendricks yet? LOL.

I'm saying it does not MATTER what WE think. "that's why they fight! It MUST be proven"; therefore, there is no "definitive proof of the best" as champions are failing to fight the true #1's and this can not be refuted.

Yes MMAE (entertainment) no question.

Sports are entertainment. Phone Post

Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

I'm saying it does not MATTER what WE think. "that's why they fight! It MUST be proven"; therefore, there is no "definitive proof of the best" as champions are failing to fight the true #1's and this can not be refuted.

There is always gonna be the next guy in line so by that logic whoever the champ is they can never be called the best in the world because they didnt beat x.

If GSP beats Hendricks Rory will be there so going by what you said a champion will never be considered the best.

As yes UFC is entertainment but its also a sport, the fights are real, two men enter a cage and fight for real, I call that a sport but thats just me.

jaytrainwreck - 

'Real sports' have playoffs as the best prove it. There is no champion until the playoffs are over. Number #1's are NOT denied AND NEXT YEAR means NOTHING in that equation at all.

Chris27 - 
Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

There is always gonna be the next guy in line so by that logic whoever the champ is they can never be called the best in the world because they didnt beat x.

If GSP beats Hendricks Rory will be there so going by what you said a champion will never be considered the best.

As yes UFC is entertainment but its also a sport, the fights are real, two men enter a cage and fight for real, I call that a sport but thats just me.

Not at all it only becomes BOGUS when the number 1 is denied. Until that point all is legit.

Lazer MMA - 
jaytrainwreck - 

'Real sports' have playoffs as the best prove it. There is no champion until the playoffs are over. Number #1's are NOT denied AND NEXT YEAR means NOTHING in that equation at all.

College Football doesnt have a playoff, not a real sport?

Damn I thought this was a new batch of MMA GOLD jewelery - they would have made some ideal xmas gifts..

Chris27 - 
Lazer MMA - 
jaytrainwreck - 

College Football doesnt have a playoff, not a real sport?

TY almost all the experts concur there must be a playoff to prove the best. You don't know this? They have said there is no other way for years.

nick diaz nut hugger - 

FRAT Lazer, though I disagree with how close you make the Sonnen and Diaz situations. They are contrastingly different, and here are some reasons why:

1. Diaz didn't go on Twitter and start a self-marketing campaign of WWE-style taunts. He may have had fanboys, me included, promoting the shit out of him, but but he himself was not using the hype machine/an obvious trolling strategy, unlike Mr Sonnen (imo).

2. Diaz's potential title shot does not involve a changing of weight classes. He's a natural 170 and though rumors of a fight with Silva have swirled, they should not be taken seriously. If the UFC decides to make that fight, I'll cheer for Nick while agreeing that it isn't fair.

3. Dana White stated that the only reason Diaz is maybe getting a shot is because GSP requested to fight him. Jones never discussed Sonnen before Sonnen promoted himself into title fight discussions. We're led to believe that had GSP not requested Diaz, GSP would be fighting Hendricks.

4. Diaz isn't coming off an embarrassing loss at a lower weight to challenge GSP. His fight with Condit was, at the very least, even for those who believe Condit won, a judges' decision. Sonnen was smashed in the second round in devastating fashion. If Diaz were coming off a knockout loss at 155 to challenge for the 170-lb. title, it would be ridiculous, even to me.

While on the surface, fans opposed to both title shots have been upset and grouped the two together, they're far too different to do so for reasons mentioned.
Also, I reject the idea that Sonnen paved the way for a Diaz title shot. Again, GSP requested this fight himself, and Dana is saying that the champion's request alone is what is getting Nick his shot. The two aren't that similar. Phone Post

No question that it's night and day NDNH (you're correct) and I said as much really in terms of the 'comedy' of Sonnen Vs JBJ ("Things don't get more comical"). Notice I'm not blaming any fighter at all either.

My post stands completely though, in order to have a real sport and know who is the best the number 1's must fight without exception.

TTT

Lazer MMA - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

FRAT Lazer, though I disagree with how close you make the Sonnen and Diaz situations. They are contrastingly different, and here are some reasons why:

1. Diaz didn't go on Twitter and start a self-marketing campaign of WWE-style taunts. He may have had fanboys, me included, promoting the shit out of him, but but he himself was not using the hype machine/an obvious trolling strategy, unlike Mr Sonnen (imo).

2. Diaz's potential title shot does not involve a changing of weight classes. He's a natural 170 and though rumors of a fight with Silva have swirled, they should not be taken seriously. If the UFC decides to make that fight, I'll cheer for Nick while agreeing that it isn't fair.

3. Dana White stated that the only reason Diaz is maybe getting a shot is because GSP requested to fight him. Jones never discussed Sonnen before Sonnen promoted himself into title fight discussions. We're led to believe that had GSP not requested Diaz, GSP would be fighting Hendricks.

4. Diaz isn't coming off an embarrassing loss at a lower weight to challenge GSP. His fight with Condit was, at the very least, even for those who believe Condit won, a judges' decision. Sonnen was smashed in the second round in devastating fashion. If Diaz were coming off a knockout loss at 155 to challenge for the 170-lb. title, it would be ridiculous, even to me.

While on the surface, fans opposed to both title shots have been upset and grouped the two together, they're far too different to do so for reasons mentioned.
Also, I reject the idea that Sonnen paved the way for a Diaz title shot. Again, GSP requested this fight himself, and Dana is saying that the champion's request alone is what is getting Nick his shot. The two aren't that similar. Phone Post

No question that it's night and day NDNH (you're correct) and I said as much really in terms of the 'comedy' of Sonnen Vs JBJ ("Things don't get more comical"). Notice I'm not blaming any fighter at all either.

My post stands completely though, in order to have a real sport and know who is the best the number 1's must fight without exception.

add in the fact that they were scheduled to fight and that fell through and left the conflict unresolved.

GSP/the champ fights all competitors eventually...I wish people would quit bitching about the sequencing so damn much.

Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

It's both... Sometimes the entertainment aspects trump the legitimate #1 contenders matches and sometimes not. In this case entertainment is over ruling. This is a unique sport here...We need entertainment, Joe Rogan, death metal, pitbulls, barbed wire, tattoos and drama in it to keep people watching.

It is what it is. Hendricks will get his chance, just not right now.

Lazer MMA - If Hendro, Hendo and Weidman (true #1's) are denied fights in favor of Sonnen's (and Diaz's) for ratings and $$, then no matter how many fans think a fighter is the best it's just an unproven opinion. We can be SO SURE of a result but at the end of the day, that's why they fight! It MUST be proven.

Hendro (14-1), winner of five straight including Fitch, Kos, and the Hitman in his last three is as clear a number one as posible (9-1 in the UFC overall). Yet he's at a crossroad as a fighter who lost his last fight and was suspended for a year we're told will get the shot. Things don't get more comical than giving Sonnen a shot at the LHW title as he's never even one a single big fight in the division and he's coming off a loss. A clear move for FOX ratings (TUF) and great legend of the sport 4-0 ( wins over Shogun, Fedor, Feijao for SF belt, Babalu) is again denied his due. Things appear even worse for Hendo as we're told Gus will fight next after even though other than Shogun he's never beaten a top rated fighter. This is all after Hendo had to wait for Evans who only beat Tito (1 win in 5 years he had) in 2011 Vs Hendo's wins (above) and he could not get the shot he was promised written in his contract after UFC 100 leading to his exit from the UFC (per Hendo). Weidman took much abuse on this forum and many of us really did not not give him a great shot at beating AS (and we understood AS wants to make $$) but he had beaten a top five fighter in (Munoz) and a top 10 (#6 in many places) in Maia at the time he fought them and no one else was close at that point at all in terms of top 10 victories. Yet AS's camp turned down the fight. He does have both great BJJ and Wrestling.

Who is the best now is under dispute and that dispute is legit, it matters NOT if 90 percent of fans think it is not. This is the result of these crap fights. You can't have a real sport and deny a real #1 a shot for ANY consideration at all without creating a serious doubt as to who the best is period. Moreover, in our age with fighters getting injured as often as they do, who is to say they will ever get the opportunity again or EVEN if they do that they will be at the same level (maybe they are just getting to old for this crap too - Hendo) as when they were denied!

cheesesteak - 
Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

It's both... Sometimes the entertainment aspects trump the legitimate #1 contenders matches and sometimes not. In this case entertainment is over ruling. This is a unique sport here...We need entertainment, Joe Rogan, death metal, pitbulls, barbed wire, tattoos and drama in it to keep people watching.

I guess it boils down a question if you (or sacredhate) even read my 1st post?

"In our age with fighters getting injured as often as they do, who is to say they will ever get the opportunity again or EVEN if they do that they will be at the same level (maybe they are just getting to old for this crap too - Hendo) as when they were denied!"

"Who is the best now is under dispute and that dispute is legit, it matters NOT if 90 percent of fans think it is not. This is the result of these crap fights. You can't have a real sport and deny a real #1 a shot for ANY consideration at all without creating a serious doubt as to who the best is period."

Lazer MMA - 
cheesesteak - 
Chris27 - 
Hikikomori - 

How is it not a sport?

I guess it boils down a question if you (or sacredhate) even read my 1st post?

"In our age with fighters getting injured as often as they do, who is to say they will ever get the opportunity again or EVEN if they do that they will be at the same level (maybe they are just getting to old for this crap too - Hendo) as when they were denied!"

"Who is the best now is under dispute and that dispute is legit, it matters NOT if 90 percent of fans think it is not. This is the result of these crap fights. You can't have a real sport and deny a real #1 a shot for ANY consideration at all without creating a serious doubt as to who the best is period."

jaytrainwreck - Sports are entertainment. Phone Post

. Phone Post

Great argument sitchpack illustrating the height of your mental capacity = no rebuttal at all