UFC host one-legged wrestler UFC60

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/news/newsdisplay.aspx?ID=4018

UFC will host one-legged national champion wrestler at UFC 60 this weekend

DATE: 5/24/2006 1:15:00 PM
By John Fuller
Full Athlete Marketing

Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) will host Anthony Robles, a national champion wrestler born with just one leg, at their UFC 60 event at The Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif. on Saturday, May 27. During the event, Anthony will be honored by the UFC for his amazing accomplishments.

The UFC brings together the some of the top mixed martial arts competitors in a world to compete in a controlled environment. Many of the top UFC stars are former elite-level wrestlers, including Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Tito Ortiz and Matt Hughes, who will fight in the UFC 60's feature bout.

Born with just one leg, 17 year-old Anthony Robles of Mesa, Ariz. capped off an amazing career on March 26 by winning the National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) national title at 112 lbs. with a 9-1 victory in the finals. The NHSCA invites only seniors in high school who won state titles to its national meet. Robles became the first disabled wrestler to win a title at the NHSCA national championships.

The win also finished off a perfect 53-0 senior season for him. For his four-year career, he posted a record of 131-15 and won two Arizona state titles. He was also undefeated as a junior. Amazingly, Anthony never wrestled until his family moved from just outside of Los Angeles to Mesa before his freshman year. He aspires to someday compete in mixed martial arts after he completes his collegiate wrestling career at Arizona State Univ., where he will study Business.

Recently, Anthony has been featured on ESPN's Cold Pizza, CNN, Fox News Channel's Fox & Friends and this week will be featured on ABC World News Tonight as their Person of the Week. He is expected to be nominated for a 2006 ESPY Award for Best Disabled Athlete.

For more information on the UFC and this event, please visit www.UFC.tv.

Well I don't know how he'd do im MMA, but you certainly wouldn't have to worry about any roundhouse kicks.

It doesn't surprise me that only 8000 tickets have been sold to UFC 60, with the outrageous prices they are asking.

there was a 96 lb state runner up from NY,

i think he was from central islip about 5 years ago...

black kid....maybe the last name murphy???

he was great to watch wrestle....he had NO legs, and hobbled around on his torso using his hands for supports.

he beat most everyone his senior year.

bambino

"I tried to go for the double-leg, but it just wasn't there"

I'm going to hell for this, but LOL!

There was a kid who placed 4th (I think) in Michigan in 2000 that had only one leg. It was pretty impressive to watch. My teamates and I also made some jokes that we will surely burn in hell for. But, the kid could move well on one leg and you have to consider how much bigger they are up top. Cut off one of Liddell's legs and hes a lightweight. Still an amazing accomplishment.

Anyone have a pic of him wrestling? I just can't figure out how that would work.

his guard wouldn't be too great

the kid you are thinking of from east islip is rohan murphy he took second in the sectionals which gets you to states, he lost 8-7. the kid leap frogged over murphy for him to win the sectionals..and eventually won states. murphy now is a backup @ 125lbs at penn state

good question

murphy, is a GOOD wrestler , reguardless of his handicap.

"his guard wouldn't be too great"

Half-guard, perhaps?

He could fight Zach Gowan.

"I tried to go for the double-leg, but it just wasn't there"

You cruel SOB. Cruel but funny.

Great wrestler or not, he shouldn't compete MMA.

One Thai low kick with all of his weight on his one leg would probably break it.

Check this guy out!

http://www.kmaynard.com/index.html

Blue namer please.

Very inspiring.