UFC is #1 - but 4 things will kill them

Zuffa successfully re-built the UFC into a billion dollar brand name that is now the #1 MMA organization in the world.

But there are 4 things will kill them from ever solidifying the #1 position permanently or feel safe.

1) putting too many events on PPV with watered down cards that are beyond the average fans budget or interest

2) keeping the UFC brand name bigger than any one fighter is brilliant as long as you keep all the best fighters within your fence

3) continuing to believe the rhetoric that Zuffa made it on their own and therefore do not need to collaborate with anyone else......this is strange thinking considering there is a huge vacuum in MMA that will be continually filled by new organizations and major networks

4) continuing to push sloppy boxing and standup fighting as the base of MMA

VTFD for stupidity.

1) putting too many events on PPV with watered down cards that are beyond the average fans budget or interest

TRUE. UFC 95 and 96 were horrid and then 97 suffered.

2) keeping the UFC brand name bigger than any one fighter is brilliant as long as you keep all the best fighters within your fence

TRUE...

3) continuing to believe the rhetoric that Zuffa made it on their own and therefore do not need to collaborate with anyone else......this is strange thinking considering there is a huge vacuum in MMA that will be continually filled by new organizations and major networks

True.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. So true...It's not even MMA in UFC, it's more like Ultimate Kickboxing.

Overall, great thread.

Do you work hard at being this stupid or does it just come natural?  Do you have a training regime you follow?

LOL at 4 things on the title then 3 things on the post and listed 4 things again.

) putting too many events on PPV with watered down cards that are beyond the average fans budget or interest

Ok I can agree with this one

Partially on this one

Are you serious? Come on now bro

Get out of here bud

flip_guard - LOL at 4 things on the title then 3 things on the post and listed 4 things again.

The fail is stong in this one!

5) Dana White's mouth.

One day he is going to say the wrong thing to a reporter or athlete..

"4) continuing to push sloppy boxing and standup fighting as the base of MMA"

Thats why their LW, WW, and HW champions (and three of their most popular stars) are all primarily ground fighters

Spaghetti Legs - Zuffa successfully re-built the UFC into a billion dollar brand name that is now the #1 MMA organization in the world.

But there are 3 things will kill them from ever solidifying the #1 position permanently or feel safe.

I disagree with all three. The best way to kill interest in a sport or activity is to remove it from the public eye. UFC needs a constant presence in eye of the public. Why do you think Affliction never got off the ground? The public never got a consistant quantity of it.

As for #2, the brand over the individual works for the NFL, MLB, NBA, Euro League Soccer, and NHL. It also works for NCCAA sports, as well as minor league/independent league sports. The "individual" aspect of what you're saying is what has plagued boxing, and is why tennis fails to draw large numbers.

#3 - Every leader in every industry in every continent of the world ultimately has done it on their own. The NFL does not collaborate with the CFL, XFL, AFL, or UFL. Microsoft and Apple do not co-promote their products.

#4 - The UFC does not "push" any form of fighting. They do not control the officials. They do not control the judges. If fighters feel it neccessary to stand up, it is because they realize this is what the majority of what the fan base wants. I think the UFC is more than capable of realizing the difference between squatters and scooters vs. ground technicians and submissions experts.

....I could possibly agree with #1 in some cases,but the rest quite idiotic imo.

actually the only downfall for the ufc i hate to say it one day will be blafs mouth. hes gonna say the wrong thing to the wrong person and end up paying dearly sooner rather than later.other than that i loves me some blaf hopefully his vlogs are up later today

mma.tv is #1 - but 4 things will kill it

1. Threads like this
2. Posters like you
3. Some other stuff
4. More other stuff

TheBear228 - 

3 - Every leader in every industry in every continent of the world ultimately has done it on their own. The NFL does not collaborate with the CFL, XFL, AFL, or UFL. Microsoft and Apple do not co-promote their products.

The NFL merged with the AFL in 1970 after co-promoting the Superbowl for a few years.  As for the Arena Football League (that AFL),  the NFL pretty much owns them.

Squared Circle - 
TheBear228 - 

#3 - Every leader in every industry in every continent of the world ultimately has done it on their own. The NFL does not collaborate with the CFL, XFL, AFL, or UFL. Microsoft and Apple do not co-promote their products.

The NFL merged with the AFL in 1970 after co-promoting the Superbowl for a few years.  As for the Arena Football League (that AFL),  the NFL pretty much owns them.

I was indeed referring to the Arena football league, but they don't own them. The AFL is actually going out of business now. Point is, when you are the big dog....you needn't bother with the little guys.

The old AFL and the old NFL were equal, small-time players so the reasoning was solid. The UFC is leagues beyond any of the competition at this point.

Spaghetti Legs - Zuffa successfully re-built the UFC into a billion dollar brand name that is now the #1 MMA organization in the world.

But there are 4 things will kill them from ever solidifying the #1 position permanently or feel safe.

I agree with number one. There cards used to be stacked. When they had 3-4 max per year. Now..I don't get near as excited for the cards. They are watered down...obviously due to their extensive stable of fighters..and well, I guess you don't want to have giant payrolls every PPV.

This is coming from the guy who says Nick Diaz would beat Tito Ortiz.

Someone just get rid of this troll already.

Dana White gets a lot of flack from unknowledgable fans, but is in fact a good spokesman for the UFC. He is the white Don King, without the hair, cigar or humor. The Zuffa team played all the right cards with marketing, sponsorship and especially TUF to make it where they are now.

But here is still not big enough. The fact that Affliction or StrikeForce or the next flavor of the month actually draw fire from Zuffa means that they are significant as well as a threat.

All the rule adaptations and exclusivity that made the UFC mainstream, are the same things that can also sink them.

TheBear228 - 
Squared Circle - 
TheBear228 - 

I was indeed referring to the Arena football league, but they don't own them. The AFL is actually going out of business now. Point is, when you are the big dog....you needn't bother with the little guys.

The old AFL and the old NFL were equal, small-time players so the reasoning was solid. The UFC is leagues beyond any of the competition at this point.

The NFL was a dominant brand and the AFL was considered as something of a joke at the time although they merged for economic viability reasons. The first AFL-NFL championships were considered insulting to the NFL. The AFL didnt gain credibility until the Jets won SB III.

The UFC is not going under.

But because of the type of product they are trying to sell, and their exclusivity the MMA promotion game will always be open to better versions of what they are doing.

The UFC puts on great shows, but for every great show, there are 3 or 4 snoozefests, which makes fans always look at other alternatives of how the sport should be showcased.