UFC Los Angeles counters Affliction Anaheim ?

They already did, didn't they ?

mrzipplokk -  ^Which one Knux ?!

I was talking about UFC.

I will definitely be there for affliction again.

Ok, I'll meet you in the same spot that you didn't show up last time. lol

lol i ran a little late

I think they'd be more effective having another UFN air free on Spike the same night, if they really cared about counter programming

Everyone knows this is the last Affliction show, I don't think they're going to pull out all the stops to torpedo them anymore and let them just hang themselves

LA has been a shitty market for the UFC, which is surprising with the MMA scene there.

I'm sure they were planning this event for months before it was finally announced, they map their events out months ahead of time unlike Affliction

Zuffa will have several UFC events to replay on Spike by the time Affliction airs its third show.

jongkiman - Hardcore Fans will go the Affliction Event and Casual Softcores to UFC event

Why would hardcore fans go to affliction over a good UFC card?  If the UFC puts on a weak product, then the fans will flock to whichever card has the best fights, understandably......but if the card is good, then I don't understand the comment.

HardyJenns -

LA has been a shitty market for the UFC, which is surprising with the MMA scene there.

LA may be a shitty market for PPVs (I don't know the data, but it wouldn't surprise me given there is a lot more to do on a Satruday night here than in most places, so the competition for entertainment buck is tougher), but in their only appearance in LA, the UFC had an attendance of almost 15,000 (their highest US attendance at the time), and in three shows in Anaheim they have never drawn fewer than 12,500.

ttt

JimmersonzGlove - 
Misedukatd - 
HardyJenns -

LA may be a shitty market for PPVs (I don't know the data, but it wouldn't surprise me given there is a lot more to do on a Satruday night here than in most places, so the competition for entertainment buck is tougher), but in their only appearance in LA, the UFC had an attendance of almost 15,000 (their highest US attendance at the time), and in three shows in Anaheim they have never drawn fewer than 12,500.
They papered 1/3 of the crowd @ Staples and there were still lots of empty seats. I was there.

This was my understanding as well-- don't believe the raw quote gate numbers, they've been considered relative disappointments, especially considering what a huge MMA scene there obviously is in LA/OC

I think you'll see way more shows in markets like Ohio, Texas, etc where they will actually sell every single ticket quickly

JimmersonzGlove - 
Misedukatd - 
HardyJenns -

They papered 1/3 of the crowd @ Staples and there were still lots of empty seats. I was there.

I don't know the whole truth of the matter, and I will defer to you as far as how the crowd looked since I wasn't there, but I got the following from a news article about UFC 104, in which it discusses UFC 60:

"According to the California State Athletic Commission, there were a total of 14,765 fans in attendance that night, including 10,347 of which were paid attendees. The organization reportedly pulled in a live gate of $2,900,090.

That’s not too shabby considering, at the time, it was the second largest live gate collected by the Ultimate Fighting Championships behind only UFC 57: “Liddell vs. Couture III.” "

I know that attendance figures are often made up, but I figure live gate must have tax implications, so I would think they would have to be honest about that, and 2.9 aint terrible for a live gate.

hopefully they blanket the town with comp tickets like they did last time.  I pretty much got free floor seats for RoyceXHughes.

I agree fedor vs. barnett is a must....Dana knows this is a big fight, so he's got to do his thing...

but the bigger issue is "CAN WE GET A SHOW IN SEATTLE" ?????????? DANA

PTM2020 -  hopefully they blanket the town with comp tickets like they did last time.  I pretty much got free floor seats for RoyceXHughes.

What does 'pretty much' mean exactly ?

Both...but more inclined to UFC because the Staples Center is closer

mrzipplokk - 
PTM2020 -  hopefully they blanket the town with comp tickets like they did last time.  I pretty much got free floor seats for RoyceXHughes.

What does 'pretty much' mean exactly ?

More MMA in Los Angeles and Los Angeles, not Anaheim, is a good thing.

But California in general really needs it since Arnold and his cronies have ruined this state and run it into the ground. Along with Tony Vilar.

TheVileOne - 

But California in general really needs it since Arnold and his cronies have ruined this state and run it into the ground. Along with Tony Vilar.

I see you have no idea about the history of Ca.

Does anyone seriously think UFC will come close to matching anything Affliction puts on?

Fedor and Barnett....... case closed.

mrzipplokk - 
TheVileOne - 

I see you have no idea about the history of Ca.

OK . . . they ruined it worse? Or did they fix it? Well they definitely didn't help.