UFC LW title picture

Khabib is probably right.

Charles wants nothing to do with fighting Islam and admitted it.

Good chance he pulls out of the fight and lets Islam and Benny fight for the title.

Got a lot of good fights booked at LW for Oct and Nov. UFC, Bellator and PFL title fights.

Bendo vs Queally is next weekend. At the start of Oct, AJ McKee is moving up to LW vs Carlyle and Mamedov vs Brown is on the card too.

Mustafaev vs Mullarkey got added to the 280 with the LW title fight and the Dariush fight.

Mustafaev TKOed Fiziev a couple fights ago.

At the end of Oct Barnaoui vs Picollotti.

Poirier Chandler is two weeks later at 281 and Hooker vs Puelles, Moicano vs Riddell and Azaitar vs Frevola on the card.

The week after that Poirier fight is Patricky vs Usman Nurmagomedov for the Bellator title.

At the end of Nov is Aubin Mercier vs Ray in the PFL LW finals.

Oldest pictures:

3 Likes
1 Like

Well since weā€™re talking about Jens Pulver, I thought it was cool Nate still has his original Team Pulver TUF jersey at his gym will all their signatures on it. He gave him a shoutout last week

You can inject the Diaz bros into a discussion about theoretical astro physics

2 Likes

Lol it was somewhat relevant to discussion

Yuichi Watanabe was the first ever Shooto 154 lb/70 kg/WW champ when he won the title in 1991. I donā€™t see any pics of him online with that title though from a quick search.

He vacated the title as did the next three Shooto 154 lb champs, Ohara, Nakai and Uno over the next nine years.

Gomi was the first champ to lose the Shooto LW title in the ring when he lost via MD to Hansen. After that Gomi lost to Penn by sub but then remained undefeated for a while and then captured the PRIDE LW title.

It seems so weird to me that Gomi had 13 UFC fights. I just donā€™t remember him competing in the UFC that much. Though he started his UFC career 4-4 I guess the mind wants to forget he finished his UFC career on a 5 fight skid. He was 36 though when his big UFC losing streak started and he had been pro for sixteen years so thats pretty much how it goes for LWā€™s by that age. Just look at the recent example of Tony but the examples are endless. GSP and Khabib showed great restraint by retiring on top at 32. GSP only had one slip in that regard but his move was so calculated that it worked out well for him. He damn sure was not rushing back to fight prime Mousasi, Jacare, Romero or Anderson up at MW, that is for sure.

Donā€™t see a pic of Nakai with the Shooto title eitherā€¦

2 Likes

Before Pulver vs Uno for the 1st UFC 155 lb title in 2001 there was Uno vs Sato for the vacant Shooto LW title in 1999 that had been vacant for years since Nakai relinquished the title in 1996 after the JVT incident.

Wow, despite being 47 and fighting since 96 when he debuted vs Sakurai, Uno fought last year, making his pro career 25 years, legend.

Though he was the #1 ranked LW in the world in 2001, by 2021 at the age of 47, Uno was the 559th ranked FW in the world at fightmatrix.

Still though, Uno was a highly ranked fighter for fifteen years.

2 Likes

Heā€™s obviously not surrounding himself with good people.

1 Like

Obviously

Upcoming fights for fightmatrix top 100 ranked fighters:

UFC
Oliveira vs Makhachev for the title
Dariush vs Gamrot
Poirier vs Chandler
Moicano vs Riddell
Azaitar vs Frevola
Hooker vs Puelles
Johnson vs Diakiese
Guida vs Holtzman
Hernandez vs Quarantillo

Bellator:
Henderson vs Queally
Picollotti vs Barnaoui
Patricky vs Usman for the title
AJ McKee vs Carlyle
Mamedov vs Browne
Rogers vs Wilde

ACA
Vartanyan vs Raisov

PFL finals:
Ray vs Aubin-Mercier

KSW
Ziolkowski vs Parnasse for the title

ONE
Nastyukhin vs Amir

1 Like

Over Your Head Dodge GIF by Jeremy Speed Schwartz

So now with these fights booked Coker came out today and announced an 8-man LW GP for 2023. I had said in another thread I was 99% sure he would do this LW GP but I thought it would be a 16-man to be honest and I didnā€™t expect it to be announces so soon. Guess they did not want a GP taking too long but the only reason the FW 16 man took so long was the pacing. PRIDE, PFL etcā€¦ have shown you can do four rounds of fights pretty quick if you book it that way.

Anyway, saw in a recent interview that GSP said LW was the deepest division in the sport right now. GSP knows whats up.

Tsaryukyan vs Ismagulov has been booked for Dec 17th.

Interesting we have seen Tsarukyan vs Gamrot and Ismagulov now. Gamrot vs Kutateladze as well and Kutateladze vs Ismagulov also.

Gamrot has advanced out of it into this huge fight with Dariush I expect a winner in this Tsarukyan fight to maybe get something big too.

For sure got some big UFC LW fights coming up here this fall, especially these six:
Oliveira vs Makhachev for the title
Dariush vs Gamrot
Poirier vs Chandler
Tsarukyan vs Ismagulov
Moicano vs Riddell
Hooker vs Puelles

1 Like

ONE LW champ Christian Lee is also headed up to WW for a champ vs champ fight vs Abbasov on Nov 18th.

So now we got UFC, Bellator, ONE, KSW, champs all in title fights this fall plus the PFL LW finals and some other great fights booked as well like McKeeā€™s LW debut, Barnaouiā€™s Bellator debut and the Dariush and Chandler fights and Coker just announced the Bellator LW GP.

My God this mma knowledge!

Very funny Tim, very funny. I just pay attention to the upcoming fights at fightmatrix and announced at mmajunkie for LW because MMA is my favorite sport by a mile and LW is my favorite division by a mile so while everyone else is thinking of the favorite football and basketball games coming up this fall I ignore that shit 100% and look forward to stuff like the big Bellator and UFC LW fights. Plus Iā€™m drinking coffee and have and have been up since 1 am with insomnia, haha.

2 Likes

Hopefully you get some sleep!

Frustrated Fainting GIF

1 Like