UFC LW title picture

Stare Staring GIF

I aee Connor get smoked by virtually everyone at 170, I would even favor masvidal over him.

Conor does not put people out at 170 except for a 37 year old Cerone who was a career long LW until the end.

Conor will have 1 or 2 fights at WW, get thoroughly handle and retire

1 Like

Madsen vs Klose has been added to the 10/29 FN. I think Pimblett said he plans to fight in December. I’m pumped for these fall LW fights, UFC LW ending the year strong.

UFC
Oliveira vs Makhachev for the title
Dariush vs Gamrot
Poirier vs Chandler
Moicano vs Riddell
Azaitar vs Frevola
Hooker vs Puelles
Johnson vs Diakiese
Guida vs Holtzman
Hernandez vs Quarantillo
Madsen vs Klose

2 Likes

Tsarukyan vs Ismagulov too. Great line up for LW. That title fight on paper is my most anticipated of the whole year I’d say

Yeah, can’t forget about that Tsarukyan fight either. Agree 100%, sick fall lineup for the division. Got rid of the Hernandez fight because that is at FW. I’m with you, Oliveira vs Makhachev is my most anticipated fight of the year. Since before even Khabib vs Gaethje happened its just been a fight I really wanted to see and once Khabib retired I knew it was one of the most likely upcoming title fights of the future and its finally here. Neither man got the UFC fast track to the title shot once they hit the promotion like Conor, Chandler, Gaethje etc… but they got there.

UFC
Oliveira vs Makhachev for the title
Dariush vs Gamrot
Poirier vs Chandler
Moicano vs Riddell
Azaitar vs Frevola
Hooker vs Puelles
Johnson vs Diakiese
Guida vs Holtzman
Tsarukyan vs Ismagulov
Madsen vs Klose

1 Like

We’re so fucking close to 280

1 Like

Islam (or Ali) playing mind games lol

1 Like

On some podcast I just saw Anderson Silva picked Charles to win

1 Like

After how good he’s looked, I’m surprised more people aren’t picking him. Islam has looked great too, but Charles’ current run is incredible. Chandler, Poirier and Gaethje all by finish is super impressive.

So we know if Dariush wins he will be 8-0 and want a title shot.

Of course the Poirier vs Chandler winner is going to want their 2nd or 3rd LW title shot as well

But another interesting piece of the puzzle is the champ vs champ fight as Volkanovski is expressing interest in a LW title fight himself. 2023 looks promising for the division.

1 Like

I would give Beneil the title shot before either of them

1 Like

The thing is, say Oliveira loses a close fight and it sells a lot of PPVs…UFC would probably do an instant rematch. That makes Dariush have to wait. Gamrot can also upset him here. I for sure don’t want to see the Poirier vs Chandler winner get another title shot off this win. I am interested in a Volkanovski champ vs champ fight for sure though.

Lots of moving parts. 2023 will be awesome at LW however it plays out.

Just look at the UFC fights booked already for the rest of the year. Then add the Pimblett fight that has not been booked yet and the Usman Nurmagomedov title fight and Barnaoui debut over at Bellator. Its fireworks at LW right now.

2 Likes

If they did a rematch they could have Beneil v. the winner of Dustin/Chandler if they agreed to fight rather than wait

That makes perfect sense really. Dariush would only be 8-0 after this Gamrot win and we just saw Makhachev have to get to 10-0 to get his title shot so it would not be that crazy in this current division to give him that option.

Sucks for Dariush but it is true, marketable LW champs list… Oliveira, Makhachev, Poirier, Chandler, Volkanovski, etc… Dariush is at the very bottom of the list of “stars” at LW. 33k twitter followers. Seems like the nicest guy in the world but he is the very last person the UFC would like to see holding the LW title in 2023.

I don’t see how it’s a close fight. Either Charles finishes him (and it could be either strikes or submission with how good he is) or Islam’s wrestling is too much and he completely shuts Oliveira down. Anything can happen, but I doubt we see a close fight. Maybe Oliveira looks great in two rounds and has him hurt, or is working a sub as the bell rings, and Islam dominates top position in 3 rounds and a close decision goes to Islam, and everyone is mad because Charles did all the real damage? IDK, I don’t see it happening. When Charles has hurt guys in all his recent fights, he’s gotten them out of there.

I think if Charles hurts him, he’ll finish the fight…I think a split decision is the least likely outcome here. Either Charles by TKO or Sub after hurting him with his hands, or Islam by UD.

IMO whoever wins is winning by finish

1 Like

I agree with your assessment in general. I was just saying…“if” he lost a close fight to bring up the chance of the rematch in terms of what the next title fight looks like. I think Charles by a round 1-3 sub or KO or Islam by UD are the most likely outcomes. However as we have seen a thousand times in MMA… expect the unexpected.

It is my hope that it is a brilliant FOTY that is the perfect blend of technique and heart but thats just because its my favorite on paper fight of the year. We will find out soon what reality brings.