UFC main event alternate/reserve:

looking to get some opinions on why the ufc does not have a replacement ready in the event the main event is scrapped. I just don’t get it.

It’s not just this fight being cancelled that has me skeptical of Dana whites intellingence. It’s not his fault tony Ferguson sucks and ruined our lives. 

It is his fault that he is bringing in the INJURED featherweight champion to fight khabib. 

Props to max for being a G, but what in the fuck is going on at UFC HQ? 

A main event reserve/ alternate would be very simple and not very costly. Not to mention that they wouldn’t have to use injured champions to save ppvs. 

I like the idea of having another fight on the main card at the same weight as the title fight for someone to jump in but it's not always that easy to set up. In theory, it's the best strategy. 

Fantasy Land.

what's the reason they can't have a guy on reserve and pay him 50k to be ready and make weight and if he has to actually fight he gets a bump to the championship fight payday.  $50k to train and make weight seems like a pretty nice, easy way to make some extra money

Tommy Gunnz -

what's the reason they can't have a guy on reserve and pay him 50k to be ready and make weight and if he has to actually fight he gets a bump to the championship fight payday.  $50k to train and make weight seems like a pretty nice, easy way to make some extra money

signed

I think this was an example of having a ready replacement. And, my life is a little more ruined cause of this.

Tommy Gunnz -

What company wants to spend an extra million a year (assuming they have a 50k reserve on every card) when they will get the same sales more or less by just grabbing someone off a couch and plugging them into the fight?

If the reserve fighter was someone that they could make money off of, they wouldn't put them as a reserve fighter. 

Death Beast -
Tommy Gunnz -

What company wants to spend an extra million a year (assuming they have a 50k reserve on every card) when they will get the same sales more or less by just grabbing someone off a couch and plugging them into the fight?

If the reserve fighter was someone that they could make money off of, they wouldn't put them as a reserve fighter. 

have u seen Danas house ?
Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Tommy Gunnz -

He didn't get that by giving away money "just in case"

It’s probably an argument in favour of having a weight class stacked events. At least the main card. Like when Overeem was pulled from the JDS fight, we still ended up with a stellar card and a justifiable title fight 

ipponssting -

It’s probably an argument in favour of having a weight class stacked events. At least the main card. Like when Overeem was pulled from the JDS fight, we still ended up with a stellar card and a justifiable title fight 

This. Cheaper to round up some local fighter to fill out the undercard and pull a scheduled undercarder up to the main event than it is to just pay a main eventer a retainer. 

Death Beast -
Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Tommy Gunnz -

all the owners and everyone close to the inside are rich for life They can easilly afford 50 thousand per show
ipponssting -

not a bad idea as well.

They gotta fill out events nowadays with people actually scheduled to fight. Would be a cluster, “Why isn’t this top 5 guy fighting?”

”Oh he’s waiting in reserve on this title fight to happen then he’ll get booked!”

Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Tommy Gunnz -

all the owners and everyone close to the inside are rich for life They can easilly afford 50 thousand per show

I 100% understand what you are saying. I just don't think they got that rich by giving away money the way that's being suggested here. It's a cut throat business.

I used to be a bigger proponent for this.

But then realized that the reserve fighter could potentially gain an advantage, and I'm not sure how they would get around it.

The scheduled fighters are preparing only for their scheduled opponent, not the reserve. If one goes down a month out, it's probably not a big deal. But two weeks or less, and they suddenly have to change their strategy and approach for the reserve's style and strengths, while the reserve has been preparing 50% of his training the whole time for the scheduled fighter? I don't know.

Death Beast -
Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Winston Wolf -
Death Beast -
Tommy Gunnz -

I 100% understand what you are saying. I just don't think they got that rich by giving away money the way that's being suggested here. It's a cut throat business.

they have no competition they are rich and they need to do this
Thingading -

But then realized that the reserve fighter could potentially gain an advantage, and I'm not sure how they would get around it.

The scheduled fighters are preparing only for their scheduled opponent, not the reserve. If one goes down a month out, it's probably not a big deal. But two weeks or less, and they suddenly have to change their strategy and approach for the reserve's style and strengths, while the reserve has been preparing 50% of his training the whole time for the scheduled fighter? I don't know.

thats a very good point and worth a vu.You are correct I didnt think of that.So what they need to do is also on the undercard have a top fighter of the same weight who would step in and then they would have to mix the card up some what and still possible have a reserve fighter to fight on the card just not for title.Also maybe if the fighters fighting KNEW who the reserve was then nobody would have an advantage

i think they should have a reserve and so he doesnt have an advantage of knowing who he will fight have the main event fighters be aware of who the reserve is as the show must go on

Winston Wolf - 
Thingading -

thats a very good point and worth a vu.You are correct I didnt think of that.So what they need to do is also on the undercard have a top fighter of the same weight who would step in and then they would have to mix the card up some what and still possible have a reserve fighter to fight on the card just not for title.Also maybe if the fighters fighting KNEW who the reserve was then nobody would have an advantage

Appreciate the open-mindedness.

Would love to see them do something. There has to be a way.