UFC on ESPN 12 performance bonuses

UFC on ESPN 12, also known as UFC Vegas 4, and UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker took place place on June 27 at the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, Nevada.

In addition to being paid a fixed amount to show and another, usually equal amount to win, each UFC event also awards four $50,000 Performance Bonuses. Usually, there is a Fight of the Night in which both fighters are given a performance bonus, and a performance bonus to the winner in two fights, sometimes no fight of the night is awarded and four performance bonuses were given. "Performance Bonus" means the fight made you say "HOLY F@$%ING $#!@."

One of the primary differences between the UFC model and the boxing model is the depth of the card. Sometimes the greatest fight isn't the main event, or close to it. However, at UFC on ESPN 12  three of the four went to the main card, and the Fight of the Night was undisputed.

$50,000 Fight of the Night

Dustin Poirier defeated Dan Hooker by Unanimous Decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-46)

$50,000 Performances of the Night

Julian Erosa defeated Sean Woodson by Submission (Darse Choke, Round 3)

$50,000 Performances of the Night

Kay Hansen defeated Jinh Yu Frey by Submission (Armbar, Round 3, 2:26)

In addition, to the bonuses and purses, fighters earn:

•Reebok pay, based on tenure, for wearing the distinctive apparel during fight week and in the Octagon;

•Sometimes fighters get discretionary “locker room” bonuses of varying amounts; despite their name, locker room bonuses actually come in the mail now;

•In some cases there is an LOA [Letter of Agreement] on the contract for additional income; and,

•The most elite fighters get points on the pay per view for PPV events.

The next league event is in two weeks, UFC 251: Usman vs. Burns on July 12 at Fight Island on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

How long have these bonuses been stuck at 50k?

Over 10 years?

Kay had a nice sub but I really don't think that deserved performance of the night.... she looked quite green overall I thought. She was getting lit up on the feet and I thought her takedowns were actually quite lacking. She looked quite good once she established top position though.

How that 50k doesn't go to Tanner Boser for his transformation from plodding potshotter to destructive killer is beyond me. He fucking murked Lins.

BringBackGoldy - 

Over 10 years?

They have been fixed at 50k since  UFC Fight Night 36 on 2/15/2014.

LWs have earned more bonuses this year than HWs, LHWs, and all women's divisions combined.

Kirik -
BringBackGoldy - 

Over 10 years?

They have been fixed at 50k since  UFC Fight Night 36 on 2/15/2014.

Time for a bump.

Kay Hansen with the lucrative debut. 

Hope they dont rush her.

BJ Penn Forever -

LWs have earned more bonuses this year than HWs, LHWs, and all women's divisions combined.

I not bothering to check right now, but I wonder all of the UFC's divisions have the same basic amount of fighters.  It seems like there are more LW fights on cards than other divisions, but I could be completely wrong on that.

It also just seems like a deep, competitive weight where speed, athleticism, and power coalesce into a consistently exciting product. 

Divisions like LHW seem to be hampered by lack of compelling fighters, age, log jams at the top, and not a lot of fresh blood.  And WMMA,  well......its WMMA. 

WaltJ -
BJ Penn Forever -

I not bothering to check right now, but I wonder all of the UFC's divisions have the same basic amount of fighters.  It seems like there are more LW fights on cards than other divisions, but I could be completely wrong on that.

It also just seems like a deep, competitive weight where speed, athleticism, and power coalesce into a consistently exciting product. 

Divisions like LHW seem to be hampered by lack of compelling fighters, age, log jams at the top, and not a lot of fresh blood.  And WMMA,  well......its WMMA. 

There are a ton of LWs, like  2 or 3 times the number of other male divisions.

luctaro - 
WaltJ -
BJ Penn Forever -

There are a ton of LWs, like  2 or 3 times the number of other male divisions.

I swear I saw a list of active fighters per weight division before.

WW and LW were pretty close to even, and then they reduced basically on a bell curve. MW was about the same as feather, BW was like LHW, and flyweight was like HW. I think LW/WW had between 70-90 guys each per division where flyweight was low 20’s.