UFC on ESPN 18 results & discussion

UFC on ESPN: Blaydes vs. Lewis (UFC on ESPN 18, UFC Vegas 15) took place Saturday, November 28th from the UFC Apex Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada and was headlined by a lightheavyweight bout between top contenders Devin Clark and Anthony Smith.

Main Card (Live on ESPN at 10 PM EST)

-Anthony Smith defeated Devin Clark by Submission (Triangle Choke, Round 1, 2:34)

-Miguel Baeza defeated Takashi Sato by Submission (Arm Triangle, Round 2, 4:28)

-Parker Porter defeated Josh Parisian by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-28)

-Bill Algeo defeated Spike Carlyle by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

-Norma Dumont Viana defeated Ashlee Evans-Smith by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)

-Jonathan Pearce defeated Kai Kamaka III by TKO (Strikes, Round 2, 4:28)

Preliminary Card (Live on ESPN+ , 8:00 PM EST)

-Anderson dos Santos defeated Martin Day by Submission (Guillotine Choke, Round 1, 4:35)

-Gina Mazany defeated Rachael Ostovich by TKO (Liver Kick, Round 3, 4:10)

-Mudaerji Su defeated Malcolm Gordon by KO (Punch, Round 1, 0:44)

-Nate Maness defeated Luke Sanders by Submission (RNC, Round 2, 2:29)

Blaydes got the rona. Main event is now Smith v Clark.

1 Like
RonysTorresIceBag - 

Blaydes got the rona. Main event is now Smith v Clark.

key rekttt

This ufc just went in the shitter 

Still going to watch. everytime people start complaining about the card the fights end up being great.

3 Likes
JoeVIP -

Still going to watch. everytime people start complaining about the card the fights end up being great.

I don't think it's so much that people think the fights will suck as much as it's the fact that there's not much name recognition and almost no relevance in terms of title contenders or ranked fighters looking to move up. This card is basically a high level regional card with a small handful of UFC fighters as guest stars.

Here are the UFC records of the fighters on the card (copied from Jed Goodman's Twitter):

Smith 8-6 Clark 6-4 Baeza 2-0 Sato 2-1 Parisian (Debut) Porter 0-1 Carlyle 1-1 Algeo 0-1 Evans-Smith 3-4 Viana 0-1 Pearce 0-1 Kamaka 1-0 Day 0-2 Dos Santos 0-2 Mazany 1-4 Ostovich 1-2 Mudaerji 1-1 Gordon 0-1 Sanders 3-3 Maness 1-0

[The chicks on the card have a combined UFC record of 5-11. At least 2 of them shouldn't even be on the roster.... *cough* Mazany and Ostovich *cough* .]

1 Like

Anderson Dos Santos sounds like a fake Brazilian name someone here made up. 

3 Likes
Tight Butthole -

Anderson Dos Santos sounds like a fake Brazilian name someone here made up. 

Lol that was exactly my thought when I saw it. 

I know I am not keeping up with the new fighters but seriously, this is the best in the World?

Gianni - the guy with the unnaturally white teeth who offers his "picks of the week" on MMA - says to bet on Mazany (she's a slight favorite at -180 for some reason) and Algeo (he's an underdog at +165). I'm too lazy to go back and find the major fail Gianni had a month or two ago: Neither of his picks o' the week came through. My gut tells me that whoever he picks to win will lose.

Mazany is 1-4 in UFC and is somehow dropping down to 125 for this fight. She actually fought at 155 at the beginning of this year in some other promotion after getting cut by UFC. UFC re-signed her, and she made it to 0:22 of the first round before getting KTFO'd in her return bout. Of course, she's fighting one of the most inept chicks ever to "fight" for UFC. Ostovich has a good IG game, looks good if you like 'em thick, and that's about it. She's been finished in 3 of her last 4. 

Algeo got FOTN his last fight. He lands almost 8 strikes a minute. Carlyle only defends 34% of strikes, but he's good with TDs: almost 3 per 15 minutes. Who knows who'll win this. It could be a fun fight. 

2 Likes

Possible fun fights:

Josh Parisian vs. Parker Porter on main card and Mudaerji Su vs. Malcolm Gordon in prelims: All 4 guys finish 80 to 90% of their wins.

JoeVIP  - 

100% Correct. These shows with little name recognition have been unbelievably fun to watch! These fighters are hungry, young, tough and well rounded.

I find it sad that I know more fighters on the Tyson/Jones card than this one.  Only fighter I know is Smith on the UFC Card. 

JoeVIP -

You are completely missing the value of star power.  I can watch KOTC and see great fights...

JuicedBeast -

I find it sad that I know more fighters on the Tyson/Jones card than this one.  Only fighter I know is Smith on the UFC Card. 

Troof

knockoutfighter - 
JoeVIP -

You are completely missing the value of star power.  I can watch KOTC and see great fights...

You’re missing the point. No one starts off as a Star, you have to show your skill set. In order to get to the UFC, you have got to earn it. They just don’t sign just anyone! Give these fighter’s a chance and enjoy MMA. All these shows have been a lot of fun to watch and I never heard from f half of them. I never heard of Michel Pereira and I watched him fight and was floored at his skill set.

Round 1 sanders. Pretty good fight

Whoah! Exactly what I was talking about!^^

Wow big comeback in round 2.

That was a good fight. Luke Sanders is a master at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.