UFC on Fox Pulls 3.4 million viewers...

i think these are basically the numbers ufc is gonna get, unless they put on fights that would be really big ppv sells. the mistake in zuffas thinking was that they thought the ufc name would sell above and beyond strikeforce or elite xc, but truth of the matter is most casuals don't know the difference. 5 years ago I didn't know the difference when I was getting geeked up for Kimbo shamrock. 

Last night was an awesome card but it was a 275-325k ppv. these are the numbers they are gonna get. 

ufc98newb - 

i think these are basically the numbers ufc is gonna get, unless they put on fights that would be really big ppv sells. the mistake in zuffas thinking was that they thought the ufc name would sell above and beyond strikeforce or elite xc, but truth of the matter is most casuals don't know the difference. 5 years ago I didn't know the difference when I was getting geeked up for Kimbo shamrock. 

Last night was an awesome card but it was a 275-325k ppv. these are the numbers they are gonna get. 

Agreed, great card but reality is that was a 350k PPV buys card at best.

If they got this deal in 09 when they were doing big PPV numbers for basically every event, or 2010 when they did 9 mill buys they could afford to take a huge PPV fight and put it on Fox. Now they really cant.

You need every GSP, Silva, Jones and JDS fight to be on PPV because they are the only divs that can get 400 to 1 mill buys depending on the fight. If they put GSP vs Diaz or Silva vs Bisping on Fox it would get Fox 1 type ratings, maybe more.

2 to 4 mill is where they are gonna average for every Fox card that doesnt involve GSP/Silva/Jones/JDS.

Next card with Flyweights will probably go back into the 2.5 range even with a title fight and Rampage. That card is a 200k buy PPV card if that.

Ornoku - I didn't see one commercial for the fight ahead of time.

You must not have watched Fox at all last week.  Hell, I even noticed about 3 UFC commercials when my girlfriend was watching Glee.

Pancake Syrup - What were the other 3 cards for viewers?

UFC on FOX 1: 5.7 million average

UFC on FOX 2: 4.6 million average

UFC on FOX 3: 2.418 million average

UFC on FOX 4: 2.436 million average

The thing with the viewership thing (especially with sporting events) is that bars don't have Nielson boxes.  You know a lot of bars were showing the fights before the Pacman fight.  Plus they also don't include Canada where there was probably another 4 million viewers

forrestfan - 
Ornoku - I didn't see one commercial for the fight ahead of time.

helps if you watch Fox or FX. They had commercials during the NFL.

Yeah, they promoted the hell out of this card. The primetime shows last week were even billed as fight week or something like that.

They even run promos for the next 3 Fox network cards on NFL games today. So Fox is making a strong effort to market the UFC.

Kevin Iole ?@KevinI

The @UFC main event last night did STRONG number on Fox: From 10-10:30, it had 4.78 million viewers. Full rating out on Tuesday.

So factor that in the average is gonna be 4 mill and the peak will be over 5 mill.

great event to build from

If the final viewership is at least 4 million, that's some solid numbers.

UFC on FOX 1 (Velasquez vs. Dos Santos) ratings: 5.7 million
UFC on FOX 2 (Evans vs. Davis) ratings: 4.7 million
UFC on FOX 3 (Diaz vs. Miller) ratings: 2.4 million
UFC on FOX 4 (Rua vs. Vera) ratings: 2.4 million
UFC on FOX 5 (Henderson vs. Diaz): 3.4 million

Would be a great improvement if it touches 4m

ufc98newb - 
MMALOGIC - 
Pancake Syrup - Regardless i don't think the FOX deal will end up being what Dana and the gang wanted it to be

we'll know in 2 years...  because they are finally doing things right (tuf on a better nights, moving off of fuel and into fs1 which is in 80 million homes, etc...)

but they did burn out a significant amount of what zuffa worked hard to build on spike.

has anybody come out and said this is how it was going down? my thought was that fx stuff would go to fs1, but fuel would still basically be UFCTV

there have only been reports that there will be lots of UFC on FS1.  Since they've stopped pushing fuel (moving the fox prelims from fuel to fx, moving all international shows to fuel and domestic fight nights to FX) it tells me the UFC content is moving from fuel to FS1.

Now, fs1 is not gonna have 40 hours of ufc programming a week like fuel but they'll have all the fx prelims, ppv replays, unleashed, best of pride, countdowns, the fuel fight nights, international tuf's etc...

The UFC has 5 hours of programming per event.  Fox is gonna make the most and best use of that content so I dont believe the FX programming is gonna move to fs1.

the FX prelims on fs1 would pull 600k plus viewers.  That's gold for that network.  so you cant move the fx fight nights to fs1,.,, what do you do with the prelims if the main card is on fs1?

Besides, FX needs sports programming to compete with USA, TNT, etc...

What I believe the strategy will be, is to get fight nights back to 1.8 million viewers on FX (then you'll have 800k plus watching the prelims on fs1 and more people watching the international fight nights on fs1)

if tuf doesnt rebound then maybe a different kind of show is tailored for fx.... and tuf as we know it is moved to fs1.

but essentially, it looks like the fuel ufc content will be moving to fs1.   FX wouldnt be moving tuf to tuesday nights, and fight nights back to saturdays if they didnt have long term aspirations for the programming.  They wanna be the free basic cable version of HBO and they need UFC to hbo's boxing.

MachidasStraightLeft - 

I think it's pretty safe to say that if the final numbers are over 4 million then it was a success.  

However, I just know that we're gonna hear Dana say "This was a home run for Fox. We fucking killed it.  Number 1 in our timeslot for 18-34 male demos..." blah blah blah.

You can tell how nervous he is about Fox by how insanely sensitive he is to the slightest criticism about ratings.

yeah, when he says tuf is a homerun for FX he means tuf is the retarded kid who comes on the field and everyone pretends he hits an inside the ball park home run so everyone can feel good about themselves.

ufc on fox however is not bad...  the average MLB game in the same saturday night timeslots pull around 3million viewers with a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49.  the worst ufc shows on fox pull nearly twice that rating in adults (the worst 2 ufc fox shows pulled 1.2's... this last fox show pulled atleast a 1.6 with likely more once the final tally comes in)

Even at 3.4 million viewers, it still beats most college football games on fox.

The fuel numbers, the fox numbers and even the fx numbers are good enough for fox... it's just not good enough for the UFC.

Vera vs Randy on spike via tape delay outpulled 2 fox shows (2.9 million viewers).  bisping vs mayhem outpulled 2 fox shows (2.5 million average with 3.5 million peak).

the fox numbers arent good enough for the UFC.

And my biggest problem with these numbers is that unless the UFC can routinely pull ufc on fox 2 type of numbers they may not be able to economically support more ppv type shows on fox.

WIth UFC on fox 2 type of numbers you can have 8 Fox fight nights a year with ppv quality cards.... thereby reducing the amount of ppv's.

every 300k buy ppv card should be on fox... it should not be on ppv.  that should be the goal.  but in order for fox to justify a 6 million dollar per show licensing fee they need ufc on fox 2 type of #'s.

2 years ago, this would no have been a problem.  the firday night time slot and fuel is what's killed them.

couture vs vera was pulling 2.9 million viewers on a spike...  a card like ufc on fox 5 would have pulled 4.5 million easily on fox just a year ago.  Infact, it did.  Rashad vs Davis pulled a 4.7 million average.  Fox killed the ufc with the friday night and fuel timeslots.

Dana & MMA fans still think non-MMA fans will be drawn in to the sport with wrestlers like Bendo, Chael , Gida etc. Amazing

JimmersonzGlove - 

I would STILL watch Kimbo and carve another pumpkin in his honor, regardless of where he chose to fight... if he'd just come back.

Cindy

Good news. =)

i think the next fox card is going to bring the numbers down quite a bit.

@FOXSportsLouD
Henderson-Diaz portion avgd 5.7 mill viewers & solid demo ratings (3.5, M18-34 & 4.0 M18-49) that would rank it among top shows of week.

?@FOXSportsLouD
Big rebound. @UFCONFOX 5 attracted 4.4 million viewers Sat nite, +83% compared to UFCONFOX 3 & 4 (2.4 mill each). #UFC

This is an excerpt from TV by the #'s today"

SATURDAY
8:00-10:40 UFC ON FOX: (A18-49: 2.1/7, 4.4 Mil Total Viewers)

On Saturday, UFC ON FOX delivered a 2.1/7 from 8-10:40pm, making it the highest-rated UFC fight on FOX since January.

FOX won the night among Adults 18-49 and dominated the night across key male and adult demos, out-rating the combined averages of ABC, CBS, and NBC among Men 18-34 (2.8 vs. 0.8), Men 18-49 (3.1 vs. 1.4) and Adults 18-34 (2.0 vs. 1.1).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/12/11/fox-tops-the-week-among-young-adults-and-teens/161272/

UFC on FOX 5 final ratings average 4.4 million viewers, with nearly 6 million for main event