UFC own's Fedor's Pride footage?

When did this happen? I've seen it mentioned on several threads. For the longest time the belief was that Fedor's management had negotiated for ownership of his films and Dana got nothing in the purchase.

Zuffa will only show UFC fighters who have fought in PRIDE, its not really a PRIDE show they will show in SpikeTV

Okay, so UFC DOES own Fedor's pride footage? Why did we all think Fedor owned it?

Lord Kancho - Okay, so UFC DOES own Fedor's pride footage? Why did we all think Fedor owned it?

Zuffa owns part of the PRIDE video library, but that doesn't supercede existing licensing agreements. Fuji TV can still show (and perhaps sublicense) virtually any PRIDE event they aired, Fox Sports also has licensing to show some PRIDE stuff, and if the reports are true, Fedor's team has a license to use any of his fight footage

smoogy - 
Lord Kancho - Okay, so UFC DOES own Fedor's pride footage? Why did we all think Fedor owned it?

Zuffa owns part of the PRIDE video library, but that doesn't supercede existing licensing agreements. Fuji TV can still show (and perhaps sublicense) virtually any PRIDE event they aired, Fox Sports also has licensing to show some PRIDE stuff, and if the reports are true, Fedor's team has a license to use any of his fight footage

Which I doubt (the last part about fedor possibly having license to use footage). If Fedor/M-1 had rights to use the footage, why would they not use it to promote him in Affliction and Strikeforce? Instead, they just list the names of people he's beaten and show the Arlovski KO on repeat.

Gullivers Travels - 
smoogy - 

Which I doubt (the last part about fedor possibly having license to use footage). If Fedor/M-1 had rights to use the footage, why would they not use it to promote him in Affliction and Strikeforce? Instead, they just list the names of people he's beaten and show the Arlovski KO on repeat.

I believe Fedor and M-1 own the Pride footage to Fedor's fights. I'm not sure what countries these rights extend to but IIRC Fedor has a Fedor Compilation DVD of all his fights sold in Korea by M-1.

As to why they don't show them in the US I dunno. I know they showed Arlovski watching Pride footage on the Arlovski Blogs in promotion for Affliction.

It takes two to fight. Maybe Fedor doesn't own rights to his opponent's footage.

bradolson - It takes two to fight. Maybe Fedor doesn't own rights to his opponent's footage.

That's silly.

Gullivers Travels - 
smoogy - 

My guess is that M-1/Fedor has limited usage rights to that footage, and those rights do not extend to North America.  M-1 can show all the Fedor footage it wants in Russia, Korea, etc. but not in the USA.  That would explain why there was no Pride footage in his BMOP promo video or in any of Affliction's advertising.

Steve4192 - 
Gullivers Travels - 
smoogy - 

My guess is that M-1/Fedor has limited usage rights to that footage, and those rights do not extend to North America.  M-1 can show all the Fedor footage it wants in Russia, Korea, etc. but not in the USA.  That would explain why there was no Pride footage in his BMOP promo video or in any of Affliction's advertising.

That seems like the most likely explanation.

Gullivers Travels - 
smoogy - 

Exactly... don't listen to most of these guys they have no idea.
ALL of Prides video footage was part of the deal with Zuffa.
That's exactly why Strikeforce nor Affliction used Fedor's Pride footage even though it was a so-called "co promotion" by the almighty M-1.