UFC payscale idea, would this work?

what if they gave everybody on the card a cut of the PPV and scaled it by fight order.

For example, you headline a card, you get higher percent. Prelims and undercard guys get much less. you could even assign percent to each fight then split 70/30 winner vs loser. it is pretty dumb to see the payouts where the loser makes more than the winner.

Seems this would fix a lot of pay issues for guys like Diaz.

Regardless of belt or fight record, you'd get paid greater if YOU draw a bigger audience. This would encourage guys to put on an entertaining fight. Wrestle to the title and nobody buys your PPV's. Yes, they have fight bonuses, but those are fixed unlike this idea.

This way fans can really support the fighters they want to see.

Thoughts, you think something that like would work? Seems like a win win for UFC and the fighters.

"what if they gave everybody on the card a cut of the PPV and scaled it by fight order."

Assholes would just complain about fight order Phone Post 3.0

the UFC has the fight order set well now. they wouldn't take a guy like lauzan or diaz and promote the ufc event then stick them down in the fight order or prelims just to fuck them.

keep winning, and you move up the card. i assume it is semi-arranged by ranking?

seems this would be a good balance of getting paid, being entertaining, and winning fights.

jdindiana - "what if they gave everybody on the card a cut of the PPV and scaled it by fight order."

short answer: set fight order set by ranking

first 2 fights on card can have similar percent, so order doesn't matter much. doesn't change much till you start to get to ranked fighters towards main card.

i think this could be a good base. obviously the details would have to be thought out.

you essentially could have a guy like nate diaz making more than renan barao if diaz is a bigger ppv draw. this would probably encourage barao to learn english.

i dont see how this isn't a win for the fans.

How about this - each fighter negotiates a deal with the UFC, and if both agree, then the UFC pays them that amount?

it would be wonky if a relative newcomer filled in for an injured fighter on a card against a more recognizable opponent.

should such a fighter be recognized...yes.
should such a fighter earn more than their opponent if they win...no.

Pura Vida - How about this - each fighter negotiates a deal with the UFC, and if both agree, then the UFC pays them that amount?

Lol.

Pura Vida - How about this - each fighter negotiates a deal with the UFC, and if both agree, then the UFC pays them that amount?

I think you on to something

Dana... Hire this guy!!

lol

RickStorm -

Dana... Hire this guy!!

lol

Why has no one though of this?

And if you go on to be 1-2 in your last 3 fights, you then have the right to renegotiate for more money since you deserve it. Phone Post 3.0

TheEssence - 
RickStorm -

Dana... Hire this guy!!

lol

Why has no one though of this?

And if you go on to be 1-2 in your last 3 fights, you then have the right to renegotiate for more money since you deserve it. Phone Post 3.0

No matter what your record is, you have the right to renegotiate, as long as you're willing to not fight, if the UFC says no.

If you want fighters to get paid more just based of wins and exciting fights then should they take pay cuts after losses and boring fights? Phone Post 3.0

1. you weren't in the room, so you aren't sure exactly how the negotiation went down. if he was told there would be room for negotiation via a handshake and it wasn't in the contract, it is understandable what is happening now.

if you were hired and told you'd get a review in 90 days and you didn't, then your boss came back with "gotcha, we didn't write it down" would you be upset?

2. people re-negotiate contracts ALL THE TIME, this isn't a first time thing. please look at ANY OTHER SPORT, and you will see this happen

if you tiered it with ppv buys, it be as easy as, "you were the maincard, here is your %"

these guys are in the top .1% of the population in regards to being able to compete in the UFC.

imaging taking a job in sales, making a ton of money for your company and getting mediocre raises while your boss drives a new car into work every 6 months.

take care of the people that take care of you (make you money). simple as that. as you can see, there is no argument that the diaz bros are a big ppv draw.

all these "get to work diaz bros" guys, i really hope you dont have employees that work under you.

on the flipside, all these "get to work diaz bros" would be good workers to have, you can abuse them and they wont complain.

JoeHurley - If you want fighters to get paid more just based of wins and exciting fights then should they take pay cuts after losses and boring fights? Phone Post 3.0

if it was tied to PPV buys, that is how it would work. you headline a boring PPV just because you hold a belt, you get low buys which equals lower pay.

so yes, i agree, poor performance and boring fights shouldn't pay as well as good performances and fun fights to watch.

koston - 
jdindiana - "what if they gave everybody on the card a cut of the PPV and scaled it by fight order."

first 2 fights on card can have similar percent, so order doesn't matter much. doesn't change much till you start to get to ranked fighters towards main card.

i think this could be a good base. obviously the details would have to be thought out.

Fights don't go in order though.

On TV cards, the 3rd or 4th biggest fight is often headlining the Undercard.

Not sure if it's the same for PPV, but that spot is one of the more important ones because it actually might bring guys in to watch on cable or the undercard.

koston - you essentially could have a guy like nate diaz making more than renan barao if diaz is a bigger ppv draw. this would probably encourage barao to learn english.

Your post above just said do it by ranking. Now it's by PPV draw. See how these complicated systems don't work, they change post to post.

3 Sided Square - 
koston - you essentially could have a guy like nate diaz making more than renan barao if diaz is a bigger ppv draw. this would probably encourage barao to learn english.

Your post above just said do it by ranking. Now it's by PPV draw. See how these complicated systems don't work, they change post to post.

ranking gets you your position on the card where you get share of fixed percent of ppv to split.

example: % is purely for visual

main card: champ vs #1 contender - 10% of ppv (7% to win, 3% to lose)

co main: #2 vs #5 - 5% of ppv (7% to win, 3% to lose)

under card: #11 vs #17 - 3% of ppv (7% to win, 3% to lose)

under card: new to ufc vs unranked journeyman - 1% of ppv (7% to win, 3% to lose)

under card: few fights in ufc vs few fights in ufc - 1% of ppv (7% to win, 3% to lose)

the bigger ppv draw you are, the more buys, equals more money for everybody

make sense?

shaqitup - 
koston - 

Fights don't go in order though.

On TV cards, the 3rd or 4th biggest fight is often headlining the Undercard.

Not sure if it's the same for PPV, but that spot is one of the more important ones because it actually might bring guys in to watch on cable or the undercard.

good point. it isn't 100% thought out and the percentages would have to be worked out. this is an idea that popped into my head and i brought it here as more of a brainstorm session, not a "this is 100% the best solution". it definitely would need to be worked over.

guess the main thing i'm saying is, compensation tied to ppv buys. would be similar to paying commission to sales guy.

RickStorm - 

Dana... Hire this guy!!

lol

lol @ negotiate.

More like the UFC offers an amount, take it or leave it.