UFC picked Rampage

...to lose a court case to a competitor. Can't be a monopoly when you're lose contractual litigation to another promotion.

Genius move here. Phone Post 3.0

Makes sense Phone Post 3.0

I just hope Bellator hold back and act bullied. I want it all to blow right back into Zuffas face. Not only are they ripping talent away from the lower leagues, but they are doing it illegally. Phone Post 3.0

"you eff see dint fight hard enuff fo me"

i thought it was a trade, really. bonnar cut for rampage cut. guess coker wasn't in on it

Being that ppl used rampage leaving as an example why bellator is competition, it would make no sense. Phone Post 3.0

This move has the potential to blow up in the UFC face. The UFC will have handed another example of using dirty tactics to restrict a growing competitor. The first being Eddie Alvarez, which resulted in Bellator losing a top fighter for a year (litigation). If Rampage goes to court, Bellator would again be without another big draw.

If this actually hit court it could basically disprove the whole free market portion of the lawsuit.

UFC would be able to prove that Rampage left to Bellator because he got a way better deal and now when being resigned got a much higher deal than originally offered due to the success he had in Bellator.

Genius Phone Post 3.0

titoc123 - If this actually hit court it could basically disprove the whole free market portion of the lawsuit.

UFC would be able to prove that Rampage left to Bellator because he got a way better deal and now when being resigned got a much higher deal than originally offered due to the success he had in Bellator.

Genius Phone Post 3.0
That's supposing his new UFC deal is "much higher" at all. It could very well be under the terms of his old deal, or the terms of what they offered him before Bellator. Phone Post 3.0

Why would the UFC\Rampage lose the case if it is clear that Bellator didn't honor their contract with Rampage?

Pretty clear that Rampage wanted to leave and the UFC just got a good chance to snatch a huge name back from their main competitor

MMAhaiku -
titoc123 - If this actually hit court it could basically disprove the whole free market portion of the lawsuit.

Genius Phone Post 3.0
That's supposing his new UFC deal is "much higher" at all. It could very well be under the terms of his old deal, or the terms of what they offered him before Bellator. Phone Post 3.0
Good point but I can't see Rampage taking a pay it to come back to the UFC Phone Post 3.0

Pay cut

Sorry Phone Post 3.0

Yawn Phone Post 3.0

This is good stuff either way. UFC has gotten really boring and stale. The lawsuit has shaken things up a bit. Phone Post 3.0

There are two key points here.

The UFC does not have a contract with Belator. If Rampage has a contract and breaks it to go with the UFC or any other organisation, that's on Rampage.

How is the UFCs current legal case worse by Rampage coming back. Doesn't it show that the UFC pays/looks after their fighters better than their competitors. Which is their defense. Otherwise why is Rampage coming back? Phone Post 3.0

Lick Boners - Why would the UFC\Rampage lose the case if it is clear that Bellator didn't honor their contract with Rampage?

Pretty clear that Rampage wanted to leave and the UFC just got a good chance to snatch a huge name back from their main competitor

Yeah, idk why people are trying to make more out of it then what you have said. Rebney promised Rampage the moon, didn't deliver on almost any of it and now he wants to go back to the UFC where he made a shit ton of $$ fighting on PPV. It's all about the cheddar. Silva vs. Rampage will put millions in his pocket, as opposed to the ppv opportunity with Bellator.

Forgot my aluminum foil hat at home. Sorry guys Phone Post 3.0

Stephen Holder -

I wonder if theres something here regarding the lawsuit that we arent aware. For instance, there are rumors that Viacom is privately funding the suit. I'm no lawyer but if Viacom is behind the suit somehow AND tries to sue the UFC because of the Rampage thing is that somehow illegal or would it expose them in some way that would benefit the UFC?

Cung Le and Coker are really close so Bellator definitely has interest in this case... Phone Post 3.0

:)

Koreanflash - This move has the potential to blow up in the UFC face. The UFC will have handed another example of using dirty tactics to restrict a growing competitor. The first being Eddie Alvarez, which resulted in Bellator losing a top fighter for a year (litigation). If Rampage goes to court, Bellator would again be without another big draw.

How was the Alvarez situation dirty? His contract was up, he got an offer from the UFC, Bellator matched and he didn't agree the contracts were truly equal. The UFC had nothing to do with Alvarez's lawsuit (that was between him and Bellator).

No one knows what Rampage's contract is/was like w/ Bellator. Dana and co. haven't even discussed negotiating with signed fighters in the past (saying things like "we'll make an offer when his contract is up"), so I don't get why they'd announce Rampage re-signing if they hadn't looked at his contract.