UFC plans 54 events in 2014, fans whine

I used to never miss an event 2002 - 2011 and then likely would buy the DVD through ufc 100, when it came out. Now, I pick and choose which PPV to buy and even when I miss a fs1 event it's no big deal because the next event is already being hyped as the can't miss of the year.

Oversaturated. Phone Post 3.0

MOAR!

54 of 365 days this year booked

Now to schedule my days for the other MMA events =)

I would love a ufc card every week. Make it happen! Phone Post 3.0

shit there goes a lot of my free time.

HighFreq - I would like to know the breakdown of PPV cards versus FOX/FOX Sports cards. either way 2014 is going to be unbelievable. The more fights the better! Phone Post 3.0

+1

I don't buy PPVs, so if they are still keeping it to 1 PPV per month and the rest are free shows on cable, this is great news...

I love the idea of having a UFC event every week. That being said I'm not buying more than 8-10 PPV next year. Phone Post 3.0

RASHADsBBCGAVeMeaVAGiNALtear - UG whines IMO. Phone Post 3.0

lol

fightharder - I am not sure abou this either. If at least half of them are overseas and at least 40 procent focus on localized talent then it might not be that bad.

It all comes down to how thin they are going to spread the champion and upper echelon fighters.

If the continue in current format though the better get use to a world with PPV income because how they are currently handling things is not doing there PPV numbers any favors.

Having said all that i will still watch most if not all ( even TUF china). But the state in with i am watching and the financial implications of this are both very uncertain.

I think "Cagepotato" raised some legit concerns in a antagonist manner! Phone Post 3.0

Yup. I don't think there was anything wrong with questioning this move. There are fans that will be on both sides. Doesn't mean they are not fans.

It is basically a change in the product so naturally people are going to be concerned.

Having that said, bring those events because I'll watch them!

I'm assuming there will be Friday night cards to absorb the audiences of Bellator and ESPN Friday Night Fights?

Super saturate the market so others cannot excel. Fuck em. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - Super saturate the market so others cannot excel. Fuck em. Phone Post 3.0

So they should hold back their business to let others do events? 

That makes no sense.  They are doing more international events to grow revenue and spread the sport since PPV numbers have dropped and they dont want to rely on the US.  They want other ways to make money, tv deals in Asia, Mexico, UK, Russia which means doing TUF and putting one events in these markets.

Whats stopping anyone else from doing events? 

People complaining about this sort of thing are myopic idiots. 54 shows a year means most likely 40 shows on cable and network TV. Considering a decade ago we got like 5 cards a year and 100% of them were on PPV, that is truly an incredible number.

Who gives a fuck if the cards are "watered down"? If you just want to watch the main event, just watch the main event. Nobody is forcing you to watch every single fight!!

I love the idea of that many events, but the advantage that any other sport has over the UFC is a printed schedule. If they were able to plan out every events location, including what station or place it was going to be shown, it would make things better for the fans. If all I had to do was pay attention to what fighters were going to be on a card, and not that, the date and channel it was gonna be on it'd be easier to follow. Phone Post 3.0

More free MMA? Fucking right doggy Phone Post 3.0

That's 54 more cases of beer on the wall Phone Post 3.0

FCFBlazer - I used to never miss an event 2002 - 2011 and then likely would buy the DVD through ufc 100, when it came out. Now, I pick and choose which PPV to buy and even when I miss a fs1 event it's no big deal because the next event is already being hyped as the can't miss of the year.

Oversaturated. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed.

If you thought that the Brazil cards were weak, shit, expect that x10!

Man there is going to be some awful cards over the next 18 months.

lordbreakdown - I love the idea of that many events, but the advantage that any other sport has over the UFC is a printed schedule. If they were able to plan out every events location, including what station or place it was going to be shown, it would make things better for the fans. If all I had to do was pay attention to what fighters were going to be on a card, and not that, the date and channel it was gonna be on it'd be easier to follow. Phone Post 3.0

To be fair they have a full schedule at UFC.com. I'm sure most football fans get their team's schedule online these days too.

Voted up because honestly, I never knew that or thought to check. Their site is way too busy so I stopped going there a while ago. Thank dude Phone Post 3.0

UFC has 465 fighters under contract and they are contracted to fight three times per year. That is 1425 times a fighter needs to fight. Average card has 24 fighters on it. So UFC needs 60 cards per year, less injuries etc. They have let people go so maybe 400 fighters now, but the numbers are about right. Phone Post 3.0

I can't tell if you're serious or doing some sort of "MMA hipster" satire. The comment about "bands that aren't popular" is highly suspicious.