UFC Releases John Dodson

![](upload://jZOlxHBmDh9nOGJOTYfevaJYnDh.jpeg)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/9/18/21446316/two-time-title-contender-tuf-14-champion-john-dodson-released-from-the-ufc

Meh 

4 Likes

Man I’ve hated watching his fights for years now.

13 Likes

MM vs Dodson 3!!!

1 Like
slaughteringyou -

Yeah. He was exciting for a few years but since then he’s been pretty fucking boring. 

1 Like

Something about guys like him and MM, borg being so little and being weird nerds with no personality makes it double offputting. 

6 Likes

Guy took a real nosedive. I truly wonder why? Seemed precipitous. 

1 Like

He should’ve started wearing blm apparel, could’ve avoided this 

2 Likes
HillboFrateTrane -

Something about guys like him and MM, borg being so little and being weird nerds with no personality makes it double offputting. 

I don’t know why but this is hilarious lol. 

I’m a small guy myself but it is funny, because they honestly have zero personality. I can’t remember a single thing any of them have said aside from:

”my eye is hurt” - Ray Borg 

“I finish fights” - DJ 

*weird cartwheel side flip thingy I do after I win” - Dodson 

2 Likes
scrapdo -

Honestly in my opinion, he simply didn’t evolve his game. Like, at all. His entire striking game revolves around incredible speed (with some footwork, yes) and an ungodly powerful left straight. Although he is very skilled, I feel that he became very predictable after a period of time. 

He literally never did anything else to get better. He didn’t throw more kicks, didn’t develop a very effective jab, and would mostly throw maybe 1 or 2 shots at a time with no set up. He didn’t use his wrestling when he should have. He seemed to have a single game plan for every fight and when it failed, he became easily frustrated and stopped trying to win. He never switched camps or really did anything that challenged his normal routine, that I know of. 

Dodson is a textbook example of a wrestling-based fighter that developed good striking with immense power, who then completely threw his base and other skills away just to headhunt and get the KO. 

7 Likes
MasterofMartialArts -
scrapdo -

Honestly in my opinion, he simply didn’t evolve his game. Like, at all. His entire striking game revolves around incredible speed (with some footwork, yes) and an ungodly powerful left straight. Although he is very skilled, I feel that he became very predictable after a period of time. 

He literally never did anything else to get better. He didn’t throw more kicks, didn’t develop a very effective jab, and would mostly throw maybe 1 or 2 shots at a time with no set up. He didn’t use his wrestling when he should have. He seemed to have a single game plan for every fight and when it failed, he became easily frustrated and stopped trying to win. He never switched camps or really did anything that challenged his normal routine, that I know of. 

Dodson is a textbook example of a wrestling-based fighter that developed good striking with immense power, who then completely threw his base and other skills away just to headhunt and get the KO. 

I could be way off but I feel like we see similar developments in a few veteran fighters. This tentative approach. Not pulling the trigger. Woodley comes to mind. It’s almost like they’ve learnt so much over the years that when they’re fighting, they’ve got too much to consider, which then causes them to hesitate. As opposed to early in their careers where they didn’t know as much which allowed for more simple mind set and more of a willingness to engage. 

3 Likes
MasterofMartialArts -
HillboFrateTrane -

I don’t know why but this is hilarious lol. 

I’m a small guy myself but it is funny, because they honestly have zero personality. I can’t remember a single thing any of them have said aside from:

”my eye is hurt” - Ray Borg 

“I finish fights” - DJ 

*weird cartwheel side flip thingy I do after I win” - Dodson 

Cody is a kind of a douche, but at least he stands out. A lot of those guys are cool, and then you have the guys who want to watch dbz and play Pokémon and they look like kids.  You gotta flip the script. 

1 Like

Prime Dodson was a lot of fun to watch. Didn't he drop MM 3 times in their fight and still lost a decision? 

Remember when he said he was going to be the first 3 time champion? 

I picked another Top 15 small fighter (still on roster) at random to see how Dodson compares. It turns out he stacks up pretty well. 

Dodson:

• UFC record: 10-7
  • Last win by finish: 2016
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 6
  • Career finish percentage: 58%
  • Last 10 fights: 4-6
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2013-2015)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 3.2
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.71
  • Post-fight bonuses: 3

Tecia Torres:

• UFC record: 7-5
  • Last win by finish: 2017
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 1
  • Career finish percentage: 9%
  • Last 10 fights: 5-5
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2017)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 4.1
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.61
  • Post-fight bonuses: 1
3 Likes
livelaughlove -

He should’ve started wearing blm apparel, could’ve avoided this 

Good insight, Adolph.

When I watch little guys fight, I want to see some small man syndrome psychopaths who think they can ko Ngannou. Not a grown ass man acting like a 12 year old marketing himself to kids. I always thought it was weird. DJ and Dodson killed 125 with their act like a kid bullshit.

1 Like

Who?

slaughteringyou -

Not as much as I hate hearing him try to be funny.

He’s always reminded me of Scrappy-Doo. And I hate Scrappy-Doo.