UFC Releases John Dodson

And nothing of value was lost.

3 Likes

Good

Vancouver BJJ -

When I watch little guys fight, I want to see some small man syndrome psychopaths who think they can ko Ngannou. Not a grown ass man acting like a 12 year old marketing himself to kids. I always thought it was weird. DJ and Dodson killed 125 with their act like a kid bullshit.

Catch me playing fortnite on twitch, bros 

1 Like
AtticusFinch -
MasterofMartialArts -
scrapdo -

Guy took a real nosedive. I truly wonder why? Seemed precipitous. 

Honestly in my opinion, he simply didn’t evolve his game. Like, at all. His entire striking game revolves around incredible speed (with some footwork, yes) and an ungodly powerful left straight. Although he is very skilled, I feel that he became very predictable after a period of time. 

He literally never did anything else to get better. He didn’t throw more kicks, didn’t develop a very effective jab, and would mostly throw maybe 1 or 2 shots at a time with no set up. He didn’t use his wrestling when he should have. He seemed to have a single game plan for every fight and when it failed, he became easily frustrated and stopped trying to win. He never switched camps or really did anything that challenged his normal routine, that I know of. 

Dodson is a textbook example of a wrestling-based fighter that developed good striking with immense power, who then completely threw his base and other skills away just to headhunt and get the KO. 

I could be way off but I feel like we see similar developments in a few veteran fighters. This tentative approach. Not pulling the trigger. Woodley comes to mind. It’s almost like they’ve learnt so much over the years that when they’re fighting, they’ve got too much to consider, which then causes them to hesitate. As opposed to early in their careers where they didn’t know as much which allowed for more simple mind set and more of a willingness to engage. 

Jens talks about this sometimes on twitch... the older fighter gets too patient n looks for the perfect opportunity but then decent opportunities that could lead to things are ignored... u get tentative but it’s not an aggression or ability thing he says 

2 Likes
AtticusFinch -
MasterofMartialArts -
scrapdo -

Honestly in my opinion, he simply didn’t evolve his game. Like, at all. His entire striking game revolves around incredible speed (with some footwork, yes) and an ungodly powerful left straight. Although he is very skilled, I feel that he became very predictable after a period of time. 

He literally never did anything else to get better. He didn’t throw more kicks, didn’t develop a very effective jab, and would mostly throw maybe 1 or 2 shots at a time with no set up. He didn’t use his wrestling when he should have. He seemed to have a single game plan for every fight and when it failed, he became easily frustrated and stopped trying to win. He never switched camps or really did anything that challenged his normal routine, that I know of. 

Dodson is a textbook example of a wrestling-based fighter that developed good striking with immense power, who then completely threw his base and other skills away just to headhunt and get the KO. 

I could be way off but I feel like we see similar developments in a few veteran fighters. This tentative approach. Not pulling the trigger. Woodley comes to mind. It’s almost like they’ve learnt so much over the years that when they’re fighting, they’ve got too much to consider, which then causes them to hesitate. As opposed to early in their careers where they didn’t know as much which allowed for more simple mind set and more of a willingness to engage. 

Yeah I agree. I think we see it in some veterans at different stages in their careers, particularly those who were on the cusp of becoming champion and it never materialized. Woodley has glaring confidence issues. 

With a guy like Dodson, I felt like his confidence certainly declined over the years. If you look at his record, his last KO win before Wood was 2016. But in all of his fights, he was marketed as a KO artist. In my opinion it very much depends on fight st yle and mindset. Early on when the guy is younger he’s much more fearless, aggressive, and motivated. As the guy gets older and takes some losses, he tries to adjust into being a more patient and technical fighter (as we’ve seen with Gathje and many others). In some cases, a guy will try to improve his fight IQ by sitting back and waiting for opportunities. And when you do that too much you’re overthinking, which causes hesitation and ultimately, doubt. 

I think Dodson has probably dealt with all of the above. I believe he overthinks at this point to where he can’t pull the trigger. I also think he didn’t evolve, and didn’t challenge himself to get better. I also believe he was never the same after the second Mighty Mouse fight. He had already lost to him once and put a good run together, he felt he had all of the tools he needed to be the champ. But it just wasn’t enough. Instead of getting better, I felt that deeply impacted his motivation. 

So you’re right in what you say about the “simple  mindset”. 

1 Like
Universally -

I picked another Top 15 small fighter (still on roster) at random to see how Dodson compares. It turns out he stacks up pretty well. 

Dodson:

• UFC record: 10-7
  • Last win by finish: 2016
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 6
  • Career finish percentage: 58%
  • Last 10 fights: 4-6
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2013-2015)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 3.2
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.71
  • Post-fight bonuses: 3

Tecia Torres:

• UFC record: 7-5
  • Last win by finish: 2017
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 1
  • Career finish percentage: 9%
  • Last 10 fights: 5-5
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2017)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 4.1
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.61
  • Post-fight bonuses: 1

Lol Tug Dabone, come out and playyyayyyyyy! 

can we please release about 150 more now???

1 Like

They should cut 95% of the woman's roster 

1 Like

Bring back "Cold Steel Cody!

![](upload://jrFo0TGY6UGKDg73b1fhczq3Ydm.gif)

1 Like
Universally -

I picked another Top 15 small fighter (still on roster) at random to see how Dodson compares. It turns out he stacks up pretty well. 

Dodson:

• UFC record: 10-7
  • Last win by finish: 2016
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 6
  • Career finish percentage: 58%
  • Last 10 fights: 4-6
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2013-2015)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 3.2
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.71
  • Post-fight bonuses: 3

Tecia Torres:

• UFC record: 7-5
  • Last win by finish: 2017
  • Number of UFC wins by finish: 1
  • Career finish percentage: 9%
  • Last 10 fights: 5-5
  • Last winning streak: 3 fights (2017)
  • Significant strikes landed per minute (UFC career): 4.1
  • Takedowns landed per 15 minutes of fighting: 0.61
  • Post-fight bonuses: 1

Dodson got a stoppage win in February dumb dumb

Was he on his last fight of his contract and UFC isn't renewing it, or was he on contract and UFC actually released him?

There's a difference. 

RJJH -
Dugs95 -
AtticusFinch -
MasterofMartialArts -
scrapdo -

Jens talks about this sometimes on twitch... the older fighter gets too patient n looks for the perfect opportunity but then decent opportunities that could lead to things are ignored... u get tentative but it’s not an aggression or ability thing he says 

GSP before and after the Serra KO comes to mind.

he was a finishing machine before. after he only finished 4 of his final 15 fights.

and two of those were against old balls Hughes and stool quitting BJ.

Well he was facing the best since all of his fights from that point on were title fights.

He(GSP) can finish end of his prime Matt Hughes, can finish prime BJ Penn, but can't finish broken orbital Josh Koscheck or can't finish Dan Hardy?

I'm not picking up what you're trying to lay down. 

livelaughlove -

He should’ve started wearing blm apparel, could’ve avoided this 

I think it was the knee surgery. When he came back he wasn't nearly as explosive. 

MasterofMartialArts -
HillboFrateTrane -

Something about guys like him and MM, borg being so little and being weird nerds with no personality makes it double offputting. 

I don’t know why but this is hilarious lol. 

I’m a small guy myself but it is funny, because they honestly have zero personality. I can’t remember a single thing any of them have said aside from:

”my eye is hurt” - Ray Borg 

“I finish fights” - DJ 

*weird cartwheel side flip thingy I do after I win” - Dodson 

His stupid laugh he does too. Just like Sam Alvey smiling all the time. Feels so put on. I get tired just watching them exist. 

derekhart3 -

WMMA is terrible in the UFC.

There are a handful that are worth watching.

The rest are not.

The UFC should let them all fight it out over in ivicta and only have the top 5 fight for title belts and contention in the UFC.

There a ton of fighters that should be cut but the reality is...

...go let them fight anywhere.

That would deal with a lot of things and create an amazing landscape for fighters and the promotions.

It would create great leverage for fighters but I think it would create great leverage for the promotion too.

Start using the other promotions as feeder promotions and let them develop talent, then scoop them.

Captain Canuck -
derekhart3 -

WMMA is terrible in the UFC.

There are a handful that are worth watching.

The rest are not.

The UFC should let them all fight it out over in ivicta and only have the top 5 fight for title belts and contention in the UFC.

There a ton of fighters that should be cut but the reality is...

...go let them fight anywhere.

That would deal with a lot of things and create an amazing landscape for fighters and the promotions.

It would create great leverage for fighters but I think it would create great leverage for the promotion too.

Start using the other promotions as feeder promotions and let them develop talent, then scoop them.

Honestly I find the majority of female fights boring but I like that women are able to compete and actually make decent money. On paper, I’d rather just scrap every women’s division aside from strawweight. If you can’t make strawweight, fight in Invicta. The problem is it’s going to take many years for talent to develop in the other divisions, and the very fact that the UFC exists and has female divisions is motivating for females that want to fight. If the UFC got rid of WMMA, it would never truly develop.Â