UFC releases Roger Gracie

Damn, rolles and now roger? He should try for another comeback to fight at HW Phone Post 3.0

Disappointing :( Phone Post 3.0

Team Alpha Snail - Someone may have already said this but anyone else fancy Vinny vs Roger @205? One FC or WSOF get it done. Phone Post 3.0

I'd be down for that.  I def see Bellator and WSOF looking to sign them, WSOF def will look to sign Gracie since they have a few Gracies already.   I can see Bellator wanting Gracie over Vinny since Gracie has the name and when he loses its to guys like Mo or Kennedy where Vinny just like to the Hippo. 

Lol@this. The guy has had 7 fights and fought a former title contender and ultra experienced fighter. He's still a rookie and he's beat randleman, waterman and jardine, went the distance with Tim winning 1/3 rounds.

I know the non bjj guys are just waiting to hate, comments about gi and Gracies etc but they forget how good this kid has done for under 10 fights! Phone Post 3.0

LEMon - Lol@this. The guy has had 7 fights and fought a former title contender and ultra experienced fighter. He's still a rookie and he's beat randleman, waterman and jardine, went the distance with Tim winning 1/3 rounds.

I know the non bjj guys are just waiting to hate, comments about gi and Gracies etc but they forget how good this kid has done for under 10 fights! Phone Post 3.0

This.

Ironically, despite his loss to Kennedy (of which he won round 1 before his cardio failed him), Roger is testament to BJJ's efficacy.

He is a pure BJJ fighter. No striking, no exceptional TD ability. No cardio or athleticism either. He still beat monsters like Jardine, Prangley, Waterman and Randleman.

No other person from a "pure single art" background with relatively poor cardio/athleticism will do as well as him.

I don't understand. All you need is Zhoo Zhits. How could this have happened?

LEMon - Lol@this. The guy has had 7 fights and fought a former title contender and ultra experienced fighter. He's still a rookie and he's beat randleman, waterman and jardine, went the distance with Tim winning 1/3 rounds.

It took three pages for someone to finally state the truth...

If you want to speak records , he's 6-2.  Brock Lensar left MMA with a record of 5-3. 

He submitted a former UFC HW champion.  And yet some of these dumb fucks in this thread say "He's not cut out for MMA, go back to BJJ".    You people aren't cut out for watching MMA.   Tim Kennedy couldn't finish Roger, if Roger sucks so bad as those who say that in this thread - why aren't you bitching Kennedy should be cut too ?

In 8 fights, he's submitted a former UFC HW champion, a former King of Pancrase Champion - and of the six out of eight fights he's won, only ONE went the distance. Kennedy was a great opponent with 16-4, the four oppenents being big names he's lost to (Mayhem, Scott Smith, Jacare & Rockhold).  Kennedy was a legit fighter and he couldn't finish Roger and lost the first round.

Roger's ground game is so good, he would be a threat to anyone.  Who cares if a fighter is one dimensional, if he's the best in the world at that one dimension, there is always that chance he will catch his opponent in his game.

Who the fuck are these people claiming 'hes not ready for the UFC' when he has already has a better resume than most of the garbage the UFC puts in the main cards.  Dan Hardy beat a bunch of absolute nobodies and got a shot at GSP for the WW title.  The guy literally did NOTHING but beat cans - are you telling me Roger would lose to the cans in his division ?  Hell no, he'd submit a ton of them.   He got caught by King Mo and lost a decision because of bad cardio to Tim Kennedy.  If that means you're not ready for UFC - then you should probably cut 95% of the roster because they all suck if that is your standards.  Beating a former KOP champ and former UFC HW champ still means YOU'RE NOT READY FOR THE ULTIMATEEEE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP!!! JUST BLEED!!!  WINNING ULTIMATE KICKBOXING ON THE JUDGES SCORE CARDS MEANS YOU'RE READY FOR THE BIG LEAGUES!!!!!    Then again, these dumb asses don't remember shit from the past or the history of the sport so these kids probably don't even know Roger beat Randleman , Ron Waterman, Yuki Kondo because it wasn't in the UFC.

EatonBeever - 

If you want to speak records , he's 6-2.  Brock Lensar left MMA with a record of 5-3. 

He submitted a former UFC HW champion.  And yet some of these dumb fucks in this thread say "He's not cut out for MMA, go back to BJJ".    You people aren't cut out for watching MMA.   Tim Kennedy couldn't finish Roger, if Roger sucks so bad as those who say that in this thread - why aren't you bitching Kennedy should be cut too ?

In 8 fights, he's submitted a former UFC HW champion, a former King of Pancrase Champion - and of the six out of eight fights he's won, only ONE went the distance. Kennedy was a great opponent with 16-4, the four oppenents being big names he's lost to (Mayhem, Scott Smith, Jacare & Rockhold).  Kennedy was a legit fighter and he couldn't finish Roger and lost the first round.

Roger's ground game is so good, he would be a threat to anyone.  Who cares if a fighter is one dimensional, if he's the best in the world at that one dimension, there is always that chance he will catch his opponent in his game.

Who the fuck are these people claiming 'hes not ready for the UFC' when he has already has a better resume than most of the garbage the UFC puts in the main cards.  Dan Hardy beat a bunch of absolute nobodies and got a shot at GSP for the WW title.  The guy literally did NOTHING but beat cans - are you telling me Roger would lose to the cans in his division ?  Hell no, he'd submit a ton of them.   He got caught by King Mo and lost a decision because of bad cardio to Tim Kennedy.  If that means you're not ready for UFC - then you should probably cut 95% of the roster because they all suck if that is your standards.  Beating a former KOP champ and former UFC HW champ still means YOU'RE NOT READY FOR THE ULTIMATEEEE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP!!! JUST BLEED!!!  WINNING ULTIMATE KICKBOXING ON THE JUDGES SCORE CARDS MEANS YOU'RE READY FOR THE BIG LEAGUES!!!!!    Then again, these dumb asses don't remember shit from the past or the history of the sport so these kids probably don't even know Roger beat Randleman , Ron Waterman, Yuki Kondo because it wasn't in the UFC.

Daaaamn.

That is all.

EatonBeever -

Spot on! VU Phone Post 3.0

These guys shit on King Mo too because he got caught by Newton and say he wouldn't cut it in the UFC when he beat Mousasi to win the Strikeforce belt in just 7 pro fights.

Everyone of his wins has come by brutal stoppage except two... Over guys like Rodger, Larkin, etc and yet he sucks.

Bader is in the UFC top 10 for fuck sakes. You don't think Mo would roll through him, Shogun, even top 4 guys like Phil Davis?

Some of these cats on here just like to spew venum. Phone Post 3.0

Team Alpha Snail - Someone may have already said this but anyone else fancy Vinny vs Roger @205? One FC or WSOF get it done. Phone Post 3.0

My god

dat striking battle

How much was he paid?? Phone Post 3.0

NaughtiiDàwg - Damn, rolles and now roger? He should try for another comeback to fight at HW Phone Post 3.0

To be fair Rolles is awful.

Roger is pretty decent and a solid B-level fighter, despite his shortcomings. I wouldn't have minded seeing him in there again. Chris says his contract just ran out and they haven't resigned him, so we may see him in the UFC again in the future.

DontBeScaredGomi - How much was he paid?? Phone Post 3.0

$50k for his last fight.

EatonBeever -

Thank you. Voted up Phone Post 3.0

ausgepicht -

I don't understand. All you need is Zhoo Zhits. How could this have happened?

I know you're a wrestling zealot and anti bjj guy, but try to look at it this way.

If a weak, unathletic guy with poor cardio did pure wrestling, would he be able to destroy monsters like Randleman, Jardine, Prangley and Waterman? Phone Post 3.0

Chris27 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  He doesn't look comfortable in MMA. Wish him the best but I just don't think he's got what it takes for the UFC Phone Post

this.  Espeically fighting in the UFC against top guys.

he is better off in WSOF or Bellator if he wants to continue doing mma.  WSOF has a bunch of Gracies so that fits and Bellator is always looking for former UFC fighters so he could help their MW or LHW div by being a name.

Yeah. He just doesn't have that natural athleticism to learn striking or just but crazy pressure and steamroll a guy like Maia and Jacare do, in my opinion. Phone Post

voorhees - He will never have the striking or takedowns needed to be competitive at a high level.

Just like all the other Gracies.
Lark? Is that you? Phone Post 3.0

EatonBeever - 

Thank you.

Roger's problem is simple: he cuts too much weight too late, and gasses. It's not a lack of striking, or wrestling, or whatever else the anti-Gracie crew spouts. Roger has long arms and a decent lead jab. Besides King Mo, who else capitalized on his supposed "lack of striking?" Roger was NEVER going to be an ace striker . . . he stated in interviews that wasn't even his goal. His goal was to strike long enough to get to the clinch.

Same thing with take downs. He managed to get every fight he had to the ground, with the exception of King Mo who caught him before he could get the fight to the ground. Roger's wrestling got the job done, when he had the gas to keep pushing for the take down. IMO, if Roger had the gas tank, all three rounds with Kennedy would've looked like the first.

The bottom line was his gas tank needed work. I honestly think he just needs to move back to 205 to avoid such a drastic weight cut . . . and he'll be fine. Many fighters have lost their first UFC fight, and came back to do just fine. Roger was cut too soon. Bottom line.

I think this is a mistake by the UFC but im sure he will be back. Roger will either sink or swim now. I wouldnt be surprised if he went on a huge winning streak though.

If he gets his wrestling and striking up to par he's going to be a killer. Phone Post 3.0