UFC Should Do More for Charity (At Least Publicly)

I've just turned on the the Redskins/Eagles game (the first NFL footage I've today) and I'm overwhelmed by the NFL's efforts in support of breast cancer awareness. For starters, pink ribbons are painted onto the field and the bases of the goalposts are pink. Every single player wears pink in the form of pink chinstraps, pink shoes, pink gloves, pink towels, pink wristbands, pink bottoms of cleats, etc. The coaches wear team hats with added pink as well as pink pins and the cheerleaders wave pink pom poms. Even the football has a pink ribbon on it. In addition, anyone who follows NFL also realizes they work very closely with The United Way and other charities.

I realize that UFC has recently raised money for the Fallen Heroes Fund (and have done so in the past), but UFC really should do more. Not only would it actually serve to better the world -- the most valid reason to do so -- but partnering with major charities would also offset much of the negative criticism towards MMA. For all the brutality at hand in the NFL, their charitable efforts sure make the league and the business it generates appear more conscious and worthwhile. Who knows, MMA might even be legal in all 50 states had this been a priority since day one.

So I'm not saying you're not doing it now Dana, but Dana make it happen more.

Thanks and fuck the UG

Maybe the fighters should wear pink UFC gloves for one event. Phone Post

I agree with thread starter.  UFC: Pink gear for up coming pay per views.  

So maybe they should put on an entire show for the troops or something, maybe auction off a car.

grafzep - So maybe they should put on an entire show for the troops or something, maybe auction off a car.

Maybe they should try to put on a show in Afghanistan or something while they're at it. 

ooh thats a good idea.

Maybe a show for all the soldiers who get head injuries too.

Do you know how much the UFC has done charity wise for the armed forces?? And it's all been public. wow...somepeople.

nyhcloyalty - 
grafzep - So maybe they should put on an entire show for the troops or something, maybe auction off a car.

Maybe they should try to put on a show in Afghanistan or something while they're at it. 

They never did that Afghanistan show did they?

WTF I clearly acknowledged UFC's contributions to the Fallen Heroes Fund, please see the first sentence of my post's second paragraph.

Perhaps UFC's first new charitable effort can go towards improvements in literacy so hopefully some of you assholes can learn how to read.

Brian Rule - I've just turned on the the Redskins/Eagles game (the first NFL footage I've today) and I'm overwhelmed by the NFL's efforts in support of breast cancer awareness.

Comparing Zuffa's public charitable efforts to the NFL's is a bit disingenous IMO.  Zuffa pulls in around $125-$150 million per year from their primary revenue source (after the PPV providers takes their cut).  The NFL has contracts in place for $20 BILLION in revenue from their primary revenue source (broadcast TV contract).  Hell, forget about the NFL as a whole, Zuffa is dwarfed in size by all but the smallest of NFL franchises. 

I'd say that proportionally, Zuffa does just fine in the area of charity work. 

Ha!

SolidStryker - Breast cancer awareness is fucking stupid btw. It's the most overrated cancer there is.
ps: did you know that September is prostate cancer awareness month? well now you do!

The only charity that I am aware that the ufc did was for the troops show for soldiers with brain injuries. After that the second charity they had was for the fighters that were injured at the show. i.e. corey hill

That is pretty much it.

how can a type of cancer be overrated?

Maybe they shouldve worn brown gear for septembers prostate cancer awareness Phone Post

Brian Rule - I've just turned on the the Redskins/Eagles game (the first NFL footage I've today) and I'm overwhelmed by the NFL's efforts in support of breast cancer awareness. For starters, pink ribbons are painted onto the field and the bases of the goalposts are pink. Every single player wears pink in the form of pink chinstraps, pink shoes, pink gloves, pink towels, pink wristbands, pink bottoms of cleats, etc. The coaches wear team hats with added pink as well as pink pins and the cheerleaders wave pink pom poms. Even the football has a pink ribbon on it. In addition, anyone who follows NFL also realizes they work very closely with The United Way and other charities.

I realize that UFC has recently raised money for the Fallen Heroes Fund (and have done so in the past), but UFC really should do more. Not only would it actually serve to better the world -- the most valid reason to do so -- but partnering with major charities would also offset much of the negative criticism towards MMA. For all the brutality at hand in the NFL, their charitable efforts sure make the league and the business it generates appear more conscious and worthwhile. Who knows, MMA might even be legal in all 50 states had this been a priority since day one.

So I'm not saying you're not doing it now Dana, but Dana make it happen more.

Thanks and fuck the UG

I don't agree.  Fighters should be public with charitable work--not an organization. 

As well, "charitable" efforts in public are frequently far from the most efficient applications of funds.  This too, should change. 

I think that if the op wants to wear pink, he should just go ahead and do it, you don't need to justify yourself to the rest of society.

SolidStryker - Breast cancer awareness is fucking stupid btw. It's the most overrated cancer there is.
ps: did you know that September is prostate cancer awareness month? well now you do!

The only charity that I am aware that the ufc did was for the troops show for soldiers with brain injuries. After that the second charity they had was for the fighters that were injured at the show. i.e. corey hill

That is pretty much it.

so much hate on the ug

now hating on breast cancer.

wow

Cockblock - 
Macedawgg -

I don't agree.  Fighters should be public with charitable work--not an organization. 

Not when the organization in question acts like it owns them lock stock and barrel.

Mace could you explain examples of more effective efforts? Either way I feel that the UFC make more of an overall effort, both publicly and through these 'more effective' efforts you explain.

And individually UFC fighters should make more of an effort themselves of course, but as Clockblock notes they will have more incentive if the suggestion come from their employers. Perhaps UFC could set up a program that guides fighters towards working with a charity of their own choosing(?)

SolidStyker my mom is having a mastectomy tomorrow morning. If it would make you feel better I'll tell her on the way to the hospital that breast cancer is overrated.

no worries man. i know that all the pink stuff seems a bit paltry but yesterday i saw firsthand that it does make a difference improving the spirit of those affected. a little difference is more than none i guess.

awesome stuff UFC, and thanks for the solid card