UFC should start a 165lbs & 195lbs weight class…

9 divisions. Straight, and uncomplicated.

130 - BW
140 - FW
150 - LW
160 - WW
170 - SWW
180 - MW
190 - LHW
200 - CW
+200 - HW

2 Likes

Every 10 lbs until you get to 200, then there is a 65 lb span. Seems weird to me.

1 Like

They need to get wmma off of ppv cards. Period

5 Likes

Youre still diluting 2 divisions across 3 now no matter how you slice it. Heavyweight which already encompasses a small percentage of the population and is proportional to flyweight in roster size would now be about as interesting as womens featherweight.

2 Likes

I’ve said it forever, 165 and 175 are dumb ideas, because it would just be an extra belt, and would do nothing to help with weight cutting. Covington could go to 165 easily, and so could basically everyone in the top 10. As for 175, I’d guess half the 185 pound top 10 could cut to 175 as well. All it would do is water down the divisions. It would help a few guys like Kevin Lee who struggle to make 155, but that’s about it.

5 Likes

Maybe. I look at it as 3 divisions covering 60 lbs. 205 to 265.I feel like there are a lot of fighters at 225 that would be quick and powerful but don’t necessarily want to give up 35 to 40lbs to an opponent.

Right? Screw 125 for men, it’s just too small. I feel bad for Figureido every time I see him at weigh ins.

1 Like

If a guy weighs 215, he could get down to CW. If he is 220, oh well, it is the prestige division, so you have to fight all comers in that class. He can put on 10 lbs also.

Terrible suggestion, there is a massive difference in the bodyweight % increase at the lower weights compared to the higher weights. You sought to bring balance and did the exact opposite. That’s why the weight jumps get bigger as you go higher in the weight classes…

4 Likes

I take your point, but disagree. I think standardization would be beneficial, up and down the weights.

For example, there are guys too small for 185, but too big for 170. Guys like Gastelum. This structure would help them.

With this system no one would be undersized. No one would have to kill themselves to make weight.

And it’s only one more weight class than we have now. 9 vs 8 that we have now.

Totally bro. I know tons of guys who are 240 pounds in shape and dreamed of an MMA career, but gave it all up when they realized they were too small.

We need fewer weight classes. Not more. Weight cutting is already out of control. Why give guys incentive to tr to cut 5 to 10 more lbs by adding in between weights?

1 Like

No the sport is watered down enough. If anything they should get rid of divisions

1 Like

Disagree. They add divisions to get title fights and they are on their way to way too many like boxing and then titles have less meaning.
We already have guys jumping up & down 155 to 170 and doing equally good in both so no need for 165

2 Likes

Sure, but Augusto Sakai is in the top 10 at HWT currently. What would it look like if there was a 225 division?

Directive #1

I get what you’re saying, but are we going to ignore the fact that Gastelum had love handles at 170? There are VERY few guys in the UFC who fall into this middle ground you’re talking about, and the ones who are stuck in the middle aren’t doing what they need to in order to make weight. Gastelum is “small” for 185, but has come in heavy there too, needing extra time to get to 186…and for the Till fight put his elbow on a coach to make it at the last second.

I’m a huge Kelvin fan, but he seems to struggle to make weight every time, regardless of the weight class.

1 Like

Less divisions.

1 Like

If you’re being sarcastic, why would you change what I said to make your point? Strawman arguement. You know that there is a difference in 225 and 240,right? Walking around at 230 and getting down to 225 is a lot different than walking around at 230 and cutting to 205 or bulking up to 260. You made my statemebt less viable by changing the numbers. You’re totally disingenuous in your attempt to make a point.

More divisions where there is more talent and less divisions where there is less talent. 195 or 225 is stupid.

Open weight

One wmma weight class, I guess 125 is where most of them could meet

1 Like