UFC suing Nebraska bar owner for 260k

32m - While I agree that it is stealing from the UFC, $260K is very excessive. I don't know how much businesses are charged to show UFC fights, but something tells me it's excessive.

What the Plantiff is "seeking" is rarely how much they are awarded....It is how Law Suits work. Start high, send the message, settle out of court.

FullPint - A couple points:

1) The UFC essentially has to charge enough to disincentivize the majority of bar owners from purchasing the PPV, which prompts more viewers to purchase it from home. Essentially, only the bar owners who can afford the heavy price by filling out their establishment with well-paying customers will air the event. The UFC generates more PPV revenues this way.

2) The UFC is not just being assholes by suing this bar owner $260K. The fact that it is a relatively obscure bar in Nebraska even accentuates the signal they are trying to send to the market: If you violate the rules, you will have to pay a hefty price - even if you are some hole in the wall in Podunk, Nebraska. Now that this is public news and many bar owners are aware of it, they will carefully consider the wisdom of circumventing the rules. Again, the UFC generates more PPV revenues by doing this.
I'm assuming 250k of the 260k lawsuit is the fine that you are warned about at the start of every ppv.

spliff - how did they get caught

Random "shoppers."

Cindy

judoanswersall - I can almost guarantee it involved a pissed off employee! Don't piss off the help!

Perhaps.

But this is a strip club operating on the edge of Grand Island, and by all appearances has had a series of law enforcement issues (do a search on the Nebraska liquor license site: http://www.lcc.ne.gov/license_search/licsearch.cgi )

It's not like this is just a quiet neighborhood bar.

So let me get this straight.......the federal gvnt couldnt stop someone from illegally accessing there documents. The movie & music industry hasnt come close to stopping it but Zuffa is going too??

If high level federal documents can be put onto the internet & the US gvnt cant stop them then why in fuck sake does Dana & his merry men think they can stop people from illegally obtaining there product??

Was the guy wrong, yes......but for every one you take down 3 more pop up. There are probably 5 places in North Dallas alone doing this & have been since '07.....that & no one at my gym has paid for a UFC since UFC 60. $55 ten times a yr to watch MMA seeing as the UFC is now a monopoly..........oh wait, according to Dana there not...........is a bit much to ask regardless of what financial class you belong to.

$736  for good seats to the Strikeforce event in Dallas.......are you kidding me??   Hardcore fans are being priced out of their favorite sport & dipshit Dana cant understand why people continue to do this kind of thing.

It's not just about the UFC. What about the bar's competitors that did shell out the licensing fee? Phone Post

FedorWand -  So let me get this straight.......the federal gvnt couldnt stop someone from illegally accessing there documents. The movie & music industry hasnt come close to stopping it but Zuffa is going too??

If high level federal documents can be put onto the internet & the US gvnt cant stop them then why in fuck sake does Dana & his merry men think they can stop people from illegally obtaining there product??

Was the guy wrong, yes......but for every one you take down 3 more pop up. There are probably 5 places in North Dallas alone doing this & have been since '07.....that & no one at my gym has paid for a UFC since UFC 60. $55 ten times a yr to watch MMA seeing as the UFC is now a monopoly..........oh wait, according to Dana there not...........is a bit much to ask regardless of what financial class you belong to.

$736  for good seats to the Strikeforce event in Dallas.......are you kidding me??   Hardcore fans are being priced out of their favorite sport & dipshit Dana cant understand why people continue to do this kind of thing.

Don't even know where to start.

You can't beat them all, so don't even try?

Guy was stealing, but don't worry because there are other people stealing also?

Your gym full of "hardcore fans" don't feel the need to support the sport they're so hardcore about? You can't get together and chip in for one PPV to watch?

Wow.

It would be nice if the punishment fit the crime

fatguynalittlecoat - Wow I can't believe the way this thread is trending. The unemployed losers who will bash the UFC for protecting their investment must still be in bed.

all day every day ! it's the Underground !

For the record - I bet that the owner ordered the event on his home Box then brought the box to the bar to circumvent the charge. 99% of the bars that steal events do it in this way. I know of several places that do this exact thing. Now I can blackmail them into giving me some free beer!

likatiga - 
FedorWand -  So let me get this straight.......the federal gvnt couldnt stop someone from illegally accessing there documents. The movie & music industry hasnt come close to stopping it but Zuffa is going too??

Your gym full of "hardcore fans" don't feel the need to support the sport they're so hardcore about? You can't get together and chip in for one PPV to watch?

Wow.

No, our gym doesnt feel the need to support one company who pays the vast majority of their fights shit wages (after food, equipment, & paying trainers most make almost nothing)

When the UFC stops worrying about sucking as much money out of the pockets of people for their own interest & start sharing the fruits of the fighters labor with said fighters then maybe we'll pay for the product.

And paying almost a thousand dollars for 2 seats is pricing out hardcore fans.

Like I said the guy was wrong but the way ZUFFA treats its customers & seeing how there are getting fewer & fewer outlets outside of local shows its hard to feel sorry for people who have more homes than most people have rooms IN there homes.

Start paying fighters more & i might shed a tear.......

I've been supporting the UFC by purchasing seats to live events,purchasing ppv's, and buying shit from the UFC store since this all started, so I think this makes me a long time fan of the UFC brand. I've come to see the UFC for what it really is, and that is a mega money hungry monopoly that stops at nothing to earn $$$. This has meant skyrocketing prices for seats as well as ppv's and clothing apparel. The UFC are pricing out many of their long term hard core fans with these now ridiculous prices for their products and I've come to the point where I don't buy their ppv's or seats anymore. DW and the Fertitta's need to take a long look at their seat and ppv pricing and rethink that strategy and possibly make some pricing adjustments then watch the sport grow even more. This could very well bring former fans back as well as welcome new ones who could now financially enjoy this sport. I believe the UFC are pricing themselves out of their biggest fan base with the current pricing.

KevinMcAllister - 

"$55 ten times a yr to watch MMA seeing as the UFC is now a monopoly"

LOL, thats a reason for you not towatch? because the feds recently decided to investigate zuffa for monopolistic practices, thats the bottom line for u?

fuck, this place lowers my already tumbling IQ with every log in.
My post has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge, inability to get into the MENSA group, or your lack of reading comprehension.......i said i stopped paying for them in May of '06 long before said federal inquiry into Zuffa

Dana has become everything he said he wouldnt back when the first TUF started gaining ground. He is the new Don King and bottle necking the competition striaght into the UFC...........and considering their have been prob 10 or so threads in the past 3 months alone concerning the drop in quality of said UFC product while the price for the product has maintained or even increased. 

And the UFC is so arrogant to think that they, THE MIGHTY ZUFFA CLAN, can stop something the music, movie & the federal fucking gvnt couldnt stop is laughable at best. Look what happened to the music industry when they tried the same thing & still refused to put out a better product........it caused a backlash of epic proportions that they still havent recovered from nor probably will. Zuffa is gonna be met with the same fate when all the tready people have moved on & us real fans are left and still refuse to pay for a shit product that they themselves felt no need to upgrade or change in any capacity

Yes, stop trying to stop it bc its a waste of money......it causes people to want to do it more just to prove they can & it causes resentment when it appears the big meany company is picking on the little guy. Whether thats reality is besides the point.......perception is reality & there is absolutely nothing ZUFFA can do to stop it. Once again, the most powerful gvnt on the face of the planet cant stop stuff from being posted online.......why in the blue fuck would one company be able to?????

FedorWand - i stopped paying for them in May of '06 long before said federal inquiry into Zuffa

Yet, im sure you watch every event though?

Chimonos Revenge - 
FedorWand - i stopped paying for them in May of '06 long before said federal inquiry into Zuffa

Yet, im sure you watch every event though?

Not even close.......i read on here what fights were interesting & watch those

I find the local Naga events far more entertaining as well as the ADCC events

zuffa is just setting an example, they know they lose a tremendous amount of potential revenue through bars and streaming, and you cant stop streaming (even though they sure try) - so they probably have a legal team that looks at who is and isn't broadcasting at bars via satellite tracking

idiot should have just streamed it.

likatiga - 

Wow.

I agree likatiga, wow.

the bar owner is really being punished for stupidity not theft, he just didnt realise that he could have held a better event with the patrons of his establishment in a cage than what he borrowed from fudd

Labrador - 
likatiga - 

Wow.

I agree likatiga, wow.
Wow, I know.......fucking shocking Labradoodle

No, our gym doesnt feel the need to support one company who pays the vast majority of their fights shit wages (after food, equipment, & paying trainers most make almost nothing)

When the UFC stops worrying about sucking as much money out of the pockets of people for their own interest & start sharing the fruits of the fighters labor with said fighters then maybe we'll pay for the product.

And paying almost a thousand dollars for 2 seats is pricing out hardcore fans.

Like I said the guy was wrong but the way ZUFFA treats its customers & seeing how there are getting fewer & fewer outlets outside of local shows its hard to feel sorry for people who have more homes than most people have rooms IN there homes.

Start paying fighters more & i might shed a tear.......

^^FedorWand,

UFC fighters make more than boxers, and much more than any other MMA org.

The fighter bonuses (bonuses based on "the fruits of their labor" are increased with the increase of ticket sales and PPV buys. So, you and your friends are directly taking away from the people who go out there and put it on the line. Way to stick it to the man...

"Hardcore fans" which you keep throwing around like you know what it means, are very happy to sit in cheaper seats.

Look, if you want to justify your stealing by standing on some plastic soap box, go ahead. Just don't expect anyone with even the slightest sense of dignity or an understanding of the fight game, copyright laws, and business in general to give you any gratification.

You are stealing from the fighters pockets, nice one Mr. Hardcore.