UFC Targets San Jose For UFC on Fox 7 (4/20)

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/ufc-targets-hp-pavilion-in-san-jose-for-april-20-ufc-on-fox-7-card

A UFC on FOX event planned for April 20 now has a city and venue.

Multiple sources close to the event on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., is targeted to host the event, which is expected to be UFC on FOX 7.

As of yet, no matchups are confirmed for the fight card.

The UFC's most recent trip to San Jose came this past July with UFC on FUEL TV 4, which featured a middleweight headliner between Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman. The event drew a reported 4,250 fans for a live gate of $163,485 and drew a peak of 291,000 viewers on FUEL TV.

San Jose also is the longtime home of soon-to-expire Strikeforce, which held 15 MMA events at the venue.

Several of Strikeforce's breakout stars, including lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, middleweight champ Luke Rockhold, heavyweight grand prix champ Daniel Cormier and ex-lightweight champ Josh Thomson, all reside in the Bay Area. All are expected to migrate to the UFC following the promotion's final event, which takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Center in Oklahoma City.

In November, the UFC announced its 2013 FOX event schedule, which begins with UFC on FOX 6 on Jan. 26 in Chicago. Along with the April 20 date for UFC on FOX 7, July 27 is the targeted date for UFC on FOX 8 and Dec. 14 is planned for UFC on FOX 9.

Bendo vs Gilbert maybe?

Chris27 - Bendo vs Gilbert maybe?

Thats what im thinking too. They will probably throw Cung Le on it too. Phone Post

Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, Matt Riddle, Dave Herman all need to be on the 4/20 card Phone Post

I'll be going to this one if true!

Likely that we'll see a Strikeforce alum card here.

A Diaz, Cung Le, and Gil should all be on this card.

Just enough time for Nate to come back against perhaps J Lau.

Bendo vs Gil is a must for this card.

I have high hopes, as the Fox cards are generally stacked to the gills!

I just dont know if they will put Bendo and the LW title on Fox again.

not that its a bad thing cause it would be a great fight but I dont knwo if they will put title fights on every Fox card like that. I dont see them doing that.

I can't imagine them missing the opportunity to cash in on the Gil vs Bendo fight in San Jose, right after he beat Nate.

It's an angle they can't afford to miss out on.

Otherwise, will we get Gil vs Miller? I only see Gil getting the title shot right now. Miller will likely have to face Cerrone vs Pettis winner for the next crack. Just the way I see it.

However, I see your point. Maybe not a title fight each time, but this card will greatly benefit from it.

Champ coming into your town after just beating your boy....it's a perfect angle and a perfect venue and perfect timing.

How could this not be put in motion...

Phuck Phace - 

I can't imagine them missing the opportunity to cash in on the Gil vs Bendo fight in San Jose, right after he beat Nate.

Otherwise, will we get Gil vs Miller? I only see Gil getting the title shot right now. Miller will likely have to face Cerrone vs Pettis winner for the next crack. Just the way I see it.

However, I see your point. Maybe not a title fight each time, but this card will greatly benefit from it.

Champ coming into your town after just beating your boy....it's a perfect angle and a perfect venue and perfect timing.

It will be interesting to see what they do. I tend to think since the last FOx card and the next one have title fights the April one wont.

Its also a timing thing, right now it seems they are set with 157 158 and Jones/Sonnen I assume will be 159. the question is do they put another PPV between 158 in March and the end of April with Jones/Sonnen.

If they do Bendo/Gil would be the main event, if they dont then its a question of do you put that fight on Fox in San Jose or do you maybe co main event Jones/Sonnen with that fight for a big card the following week?

I think it does make sense to put it on Fox like you said, plus they've promoted Bendo already on Fox so they cna make him more of a name but that would be 3 title fights in a row on Fox.

We'll see. Would be an awesome fight for Fox, LW title, champ vs champ, beating Diaz, coming into Gils home turf, lots of angles to promote it.

Man it's gonna cap off a great week for me on that night. Fucking 4/20 show! |-) Phone Post

Thats whats up cant wait to go

I went to to Munoz fight there.

Definitely in for this one. Phone Post

Chris27 - Bendo vs Gilbert maybe?

sounds like it.

Chris27 - 
Phuck Phace - 

It will be interesting to see what they do. I tend to think since the last FOx card and the next one have title fights the April one wont.

Its also a timing thing, right now it seems they are set with 157 158 and Jones/Sonnen I assume will be 159. the question is do they put another PPV between 158 in March and the end of April with Jones/Sonnen.

If they do Bendo/Gil would be the main event, if they dont then its a question of do you put that fight on Fox in San Jose or do you maybe co main event Jones/Sonnen with that fight for a big card the following week?

I think it does make sense to put it on Fox like you said, plus they've promoted Bendo already on Fox so they cna make him more of a name but that would be 3 title fights in a row on Fox.

We'll see. Would be an awesome fight for Fox, LW title, champ vs champ, beating Diaz, coming into Gils home turf, lots of angles to promote it.

I see that the Fox cards have this oversaturation of title fights, but you know what.... I like it! I feel as if they are watering down the PPV's in order to stack these Fox/FX cards. Besides, with 8 weight classes now, there will be plenty of title fights to make.

Hard to say what will happen with Jones/Sonnen. My initial thought will be just have them fight on the TUF finale, but history has shown that doesn't always happen. Both are deserving of PPV money, but like you said, there's gonna have to be another event between 158 and Jones/Sonnen. Possibly another FX card? Don't really know at this point. Seems too close to the Fox card. Curious to see how this all pans out.

Bendo/Gil has to be the main. I see no other way. Co-main would only work if there was a Superfight as the main. GSP is too big of a PPV draw to put him against Silva on Fox, plus it's not enough time for him to bulk up...according to what he infers about adding mass correctly.

Bendo on Fox is perfect. He's good to showcase to the non-followers of MMA, as his demeaner and tact will help sway any "barbaric" feelings about the sport for the newbs. Again, back to the multiple title fights on Fox, I think it's no coincedence.

Love those angles! Diaz bros in the corner against Bendo....hometown crowd rooting for the challenging champ...should be a night of great fights if they stack this card accordingly!

As said earlier, the Bay has been the home of some of the greatest fights/cards/championship fights in the sports history. Although, Strikeforce's home base was the Pavillion, the San Jose crowd is a bit uneducated. Lots of boos amd calls for stand ups while fighters are in side control for example.

--------

UG Meet and Greet?

OP VTFU for the link and theories.

Attending Phone Post

I actually dont think Gil/Bendo will headline this card, you know who I think headlines it?

DC vs Mir.

DC and Mir are gonna fight and I believe one of them were talking about fighting in April.

DC, AKA, San Jose, Fox, Mir, yeah, book it.

Bendo/Gilbert will slide in under Jones/Sonnen imo the following week.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/daniel-cormier-inks-new-contract-eyes-frank-mir-and-dual-division-run-in-ufc

If Cormier is successful, which is widely expected to be the case, he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he'd like to fight Frank Mir inside the UFC octagon in April.

So thats DC talking about wanting to fight Mir in April, seems like San Jose on Fox makes sense, dont you think?

I already had tickets to see DC vs Mir at Strikeforce in San Jose.

That whole switcharoo was swept under the rug. Phone Post