UFC to Pursue Fedor in 2007!!

Brawl Sports

Ultimate fighting and more with Steve Sievert

« GSP injury drops title fight from UFC 67 | Main

January 05, 2007

UFC to strengthen stable of fighters in 2007

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying the Ultimate Fighting Championship is taking over the world. He's only half joking.

White and his partners at Zuffa have been the masterminds behind the transformation of an underground, cult sport with a notorious reputation into a mainstream sports juggernaut.

To be fair, most of the rules changes that convinced U.S. athletic commissions to get back into the mixed martial arts business were already in place before Zuffa bought the brand in 2001 (no perpetuating the "Zuffa Myth" here). However, it's been under the Zuffa banner that the UFC has flourished and the organization closed out a blockbuster 2006 with a record-setting UFC 66.

With the UFC now firmly entrenched in America, White and Co. are taking the next steps to strengthen the action inside its trademark octagon. First up on the to-do list was signing one of the best heavyweights in world - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic - to a major-league two-year, six-fight contract that instantly gives the promotion a champion-in-waiting.

Audio: Listen to White's comments on signing Cro Cop.

The signing of Cro Cop shows that Zuffa is willing to reach for the checkbook to attract elite talent. The UFC boss wouldn't tip his hand, but hinted that other major signings are imminent and that could include Fedor Emalinenko, whose current short-term relationships with Pride and BodogFIGHT pretty much make him a free agent.

Let's hope Zuffa's willingness to show Cro Cop the money - the deal's valued at more than $1 million - trickles down to those fighters already in the promotion. Zuffa has a well-earned reputation for being less than generous when it comes to sharing the wealth with its hired hands. However, White says no one's complaining to him.

Audio: Listen to White discuss fighter salaries.

At this point, the UFC is basically printing money. UFC 66 alone will gross north of $40 million. With that kind of cash flow, shouldn't guys like Keith Jardine and Jason MacDonald be banking more than $14,000 and $10,000 (reported pursues at 66), respectively, for putting their lives on the line in the octagon?

ttt

USA always wins...........ALWAYS!!

nope his pride nuthugging won't let him.

Fedor won't ever leave Pride unless he absolutely has to.

and u would know this how?

"and u would know this how?"

You should visit his website and forum and listen to the people there that know him.

ttt

"Fedor won't ever leave Pride unless he absolutely has to."

Why because it would make you cry? Grow up kid, Fedor does not suckle from Pride's teet like a nuthugger. He's a grown man and world class fighter. He's a business man and a family man.

I'm sure Fedor would go wherever he had the best paycheck for work performed.

Interesting stuff, although this is a bit ridiculous:

"... shouldn't guys like Keith Jardine and Jason MacDonald be banking more than $14,000 and $10,000 (reported pursues at 66), respectively, for putting their lives on the line in the octagon?"

Come on, "putting their lives on the line"? Like they're fighting with knives and nunchucks?

Sounds like speculation, but the prospect of more "big signings" is very exciting.

I'm sure Fedor's name was brought up in the Cro Cop negotiations since that was one of the reasons Cro Cop wanted to stay with Pride. Perhaps the UFC promised to make a concerted effort to sign Fedor so that Cro Cop could get his rematch.

I could have sworn we heard something about Fedor re-signing with Pride, but perhaps not.

Pretty sure Fedor does one fight deals.

attjack is correct, Fedor has said that he only wants to sign one fight deals at this point (which might put him at odds with UFC policy). On the other hand, he might not be too happy that lesser fighters in Pride are paid more than him (and in Fedor's case, EVERYONE is a lesser fighter).

As for Mirko, over one million for six fights doesn't seem all that incredible, and if that is so much more than Pride could offer him, I wonder how much he made there...

"Pretty sure Fedor does one fight deals."

I think your right, but are you telling me he wouldn't sign a multi-fight contract for the right money?  I have a feeling Fedor will be in the UFC by the end of the year...possibly Gomi as well...god i love Free agency now a days.

As for Mirko, over one million for six fights doesn't seem all that incredible, and if that is so much more than Pride could offer him, I wonder how much he made there...

well we'll see what he's making after UFC 67...gotta figure he gets a % of ppv too.

TTMFT

I'm sure Crocop will make more with sponsors and who's to say he won't negotiate PPV % later on?

The only thing that mentions Fedor is some "UFCjunkie.com" shit.

Well, ok it's there but most of it just off the cuff stuff. They don't need to "blow their wad" at once either. CroCop KOs Tim, maybe he fights AA, and then they figure out what's next.