UFC Unaired NHB Prelims

Hell of a find!

Thanks so much for sharing op

Sub

Ttt

AWESOME

Vrill - 
ons ear - Why was Jack Dowdy in the ufc?!? Seriously, that was at ufc 5 and Diwdly was an older, slow karate dojo chump. No way he thought he could win in the UFC

Geza Khalman was a tank but even though he did well in his alternate fights, he never got a spot in the main tournament…why was that? He was a stocky aggressive guy with good wrestling and decent punches. Out of Severns camp

You could ask that question about dozens of early UFC fighters. Guys with no records or major athletic achievements but had martial arts backgrounds and were game enough to get in there and have a no holds barred cage match when that sounded absolutely insane to most people. In a way, that’s what made the early UFC’s so great. You never knew what you were going to see in there. Personally, I miss the dojo tough guys like Howard, Hackney, Worsham, Hall, Jennum, etc. I related to each one of those dudes in some way. I felt like they were the kind of guys you would find teaching at any traditional martial arts school in any American town. These were the kinds of guys I looked up to as a kid. 

EXACTLY

99% of martial artists stayed in their pond and safety zone

you think a TKD instructor with 300 students making good money would take that offer to be in the UFC?

the ones who did really believed in their art

regardless of their personal outcome they contributed tremendously to the improvement of martial arts as a whole rather than just keeping things status quo

3 Likes

In

Nice

I sat in the first row of UFC IX. Nelmark vs Bowden wa the first fight of the night (IIRC?).

One of the best nights of my life.

$350 for the ticket plus $15 for Ticketmaster charges.

HELWIG -
Vrill - 
ons ear - Why was Jack Dowdy in the ufc?!? Seriously, that was at ufc 5 and Diwdly was an older, slow karate dojo chump. No way he thought he could win in the UFC

Geza Khalman was a tank but even though he did well in his alternate fights, he never got a spot in the main tournament…why was that? He was a stocky aggressive guy with good wrestling and decent punches. Out of Severns camp

You could ask that question about dozens of early UFC fighters. Guys with no records or major athletic achievements but had martial arts backgrounds and were game enough to get in there and have a no holds barred cage match when that sounded absolutely insane to most people. In a way, that’s what made the early UFC’s so great. You never knew what you were going to see in there. Personally, I miss the dojo tough guys like Howard, Hackney, Worsham, Hall, Jennum, etc. I related to each one of those dudes in some way. I felt like they were the kind of guys you would find teaching at any traditional martial arts school in any American town. These were the kinds of guys I looked up to as a kid. 

EXACTLY

99% of martial artists stayed in their pond and safety zone

you think a TKD instructor with 300 students making good money would take that offer to be in the UFC?

the ones who did really believed in their art

regardless of their personal outcome they contributed tremendously to the improvement of martial arts as a whole rather than just keeping things status quo

Awesome post. 

Vrill - 

There’s a big difference though between guys like Hackney, Jennum, Howard compared to guys like Dowdy…Jennum, Howatd and Hackney were both very strong, relatively athletic tough guys and were solid strikers …these guys all had good hands and kicks whereas Dowdy looked like he didn’t even know how to throw a punch or how to move.

True, the old school vibe of early UFC and Mma was great… I have went back and rematches ufc 1-10 more times than I can count.

Jennum was actually one of the first well rounded fighters in Mma

Great post op

I'm pretty sure guy vs Jason was aired. 

There were a lot of talented fighters on the under card and those fights are unlikely to ever be seen, which is a real shame.  As mentioned above, the choice of who to include in the main card/tournament was often bizarre.  Guy Mezger, Anthony Macias, Joe Charles, Geza Kalman, all had success on the prelims but did not always feature.

Who knew that Guy fought Trevor.

nrallen -

There were a lot of talented fighters on the under card and those fights are unlikely to ever be seen, which is a real shame.  As mentioned above, the choice of who to include in the main card/tournament was often bizarre.  Guy Mezger, Anthony Macias, Joe Charles, Geza Kalman, all had success on the prelims but did not always feature.

They fed Macias to Severn which wasn't fair. Severn suplexed the hell out of Macias a couple of times. Could've killed him. I loved the old Ufc. I got the first one on PPV. I am glad there aren't groin shots and fence grabbing now. No one is getting out from under a trained fighter if he can hold the fence for balance. Too big of an advantage. 

ons ear - 
Vrill - 

There’s a big difference though between guys like Hackney, Jennum, Howard compared to guys like Dowdy…Jennum, Howatd and Hackney were both very strong, relatively athletic tough guys and were solid strikers …these guys all had good hands and kicks whereas Dowdy looked like he didn’t even know how to throw a punch or how to move.

True, the old school vibe of early UFC and Mma was great… I have went back and rematches ufc 1-10 more times than I can count.

Jennum was actually one of the first well rounded fighters in Mma

https://youtu.be/R1-pS4E2LaY

BTW, for those interested, all the UFC 2 prelims are on UFC Fight Pass.

If only the UFC would release those UFC 2 first round fights edited together in order, with the eighth fight (Royce) included, so we can watch them all the way through, no audio synch issues or anything, like God intended.

nrallen reminds me of pro ice.

Anyone who remembers pro ice, knows this is a compliment.

pro ice was the man