UFC unannounced show with full card on hold - Hmmm

BUFFGEO - Dana is an idiot... counter programing stopped working like 20 years ago

everyone has a Tivo, DVR.. or at least an old VHS!

everyone is just going to watch both anyway...

All of this is true, but it does take away some of the recognition that Strikeforce would get from word of mouth and media outlets like ESPN.

If the Super Bowl and BCS NCAA Championship Game were on the same night you would probably end up watching both at some point, but the next day everyone would be talking about the Super Bowl and not the BCS Championship Game.

32Hunter - 
ChokeEmOut -  LMAO!

I am not missing Fedor's Strikeforce fight for anything.

I don't think you guys are the concern. The concern is the casual eyes, and there are like 10-20 times more casual eyes than hardcore eyes.

SinCityHustler - 
madmav - strikeforce is soo fucked.. the only thing that is gonna keep them in the game is cbs.

Well if CBS is going to keep them in the game, how is it that they are soo fucked? 

maybe the 20 odd sumthing shows (if they can pull it off) basically strikeforce is fucked

BUFFGEO - Dana is an idiot... counter programing stopped working like 20 years ago

I think it works way to well for MMA

It doesn't distract the few thousand hardcore fans on here, but it distracts the millions of casual TUF fans, and it distracts the lay press

It will have a huge effect on their ratings and buzz, it's worked damn well so far when they've done

Dana may very well be the single most brilliant man that you are even aware of. 

Doesn't seem they can counterprogram this one, with it only 5 weeks away and being on the same night as WEC.

Although it would be pretty crazy to have three major MMA events in one night, and all on non-PPV at that.

NarlyPersianDude - LMFAO at the fucking idiots who want the promotion with the best fighter in world to fail. Shame on you. War Fedor.
Who the promotion has as fighters doesn't have squat to do with it. If they are a good promoter, and put on good shows, they should be supported. If they are weasels, they should join the Gary Shaw boneyard, especially if they have the best fighter in the world.

Strikefarce falls into the former category. We should support them because they put on good shows and are not scumbags, not because they have Fedor or Gina or even Jorge Gurgel.

xcouturefan - 

CBS is not going to keep them in the game. CBS had a chance to help out Elite XC and they didn't.

Strikeforce is not EliteXC ROFL. whole different ballgame. like comparing mcdonalds to a lemonade stand

xcouturefan -
CBS doesn't even pay all that much to have the shows on their channel.

Really? So how much do they pay? You must know since you made this statement.

xcouturefan -
That's why for the UFC to be on CBS would actually be a step down.

Probably the dumbest statement you've said here. And that's saying a LOT

SinCityHustler - 

LOL... um... no!

I dont know how sheltered you may be, but dana white doesnt even crack my top 1000!

ChokeEmOut -  LMAO!

They aren't trying to stop hardcore fans like us from watching. They are targeting the casual fans who might tune in to Strikeforce for the first time and become new fans of Fedor and it will likely work. It's hilarious how people think because 10-20 people on the UG swear that they are watching Strikeforce that counter programming will be a failure.

BUFFGEO - 
SinCityHustler - 

LOL... um... no!

I dont know how sheltered you may be, but dana white doesnt even crack my top 1000!

Come on brother, you can't even name 1000

orcus -  Doesn't seem they can counterprogram this one, with it only 5 weeks away and being on the same night as WEC.

Although it would be pretty crazy to have three major MMA events in one night, and all on non-PPV at that.

ZUFFA will not cannabalize in my opinion.

They should promote the hell out of their WEC card, the entire purpose of the WEC purchase was to block another company from piggybacking on the success of the UFC brand and sit at a comfortable #2 organization's spot, they put their own product in that spot, which Strikeforce is now threatening to claim.

IF (very big if IMO) the rumored Strikeforce date comes to pass, it will be interesting to see how the WEC does in the ratings in comparison. I'm not sure they can advertise VS programming on Spike, but if so they should push the rescheduled WEC show on UFN if Spike allows this, even though it is a bit soon, every commercial break during TUF, and I am sure they will at least do the quick interviews in the crowd at UFC 103 on ppv. 

I may start a new thread on this...

My guess is that Showtime is aloof to the Oct. 10th rescheduled WEC date, I had forgotten it until it was mentioned on mmajunkieradio today.

ChokeEmOut -  LMAO!

Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that Strikeforce is setting UFC to do this?

If the event is in NJ, they can sell it out in 2 weeks easy. And UFC will likely have to announce the full card 4 weeks in advance in order to suck every dime out if it they can.

Then what? Depending on how big the UFC card might be to go up against a possible Strikeforce card, Showtime pulls the live event and instead shows artsy movie about gay french foreign exchange students.

UFC has burned the roster and ended up counter programming themselves w/ WEC already on the same night.

It's genius.

J A Yount - Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that Strikeforce is setting UFC to do this?

If the event is in NJ, they can sell it out in 2 weeks easy. And UFC will likely have to announce the full card 4 weeks in advance in order to suck every dime out if it they can.

Then what? Depending on how big the UFC card might be to go up against a possible Strikeforce card, Showtime pulls the live event and instead shows artsy movie about gay french foreign exchange students.

UFC has burned the roster and ended up counter programming themselves w/ WEC already on the same night.

It's genius.

It's brilliant!  Strike Force forces the UFC to show one more event, while they themselves show nothing.  Pure genius!