UFC Welterweight Title Picture

Welterweight has been of my two or three favorite divisions for a long time now. I’m going to bite off BJ Penn Forever’s thread about the LW division in the ufc and all of MMA. It’s a great thread for the 155lbs. division and I thought we should have one for 170lbs. too

The WW division is pretty exciting right now. Kamaru Usman, like or hate him, was building quite the legacy for himself. 15 fight win streak in the UFC, and 5 title defenses. He was starting to scratch the surface of being on GSP’s level all time

But we saw how that came crashing down. It just a split second Leon Edwards threw one picture perfect head kick and ended Usman’s win streak and title reign

6 Likes

The current top 15 ranking of UFC Welterweights:

(C) Leon Edwards

1. Kamaru Usman
  2. Colby Covington
  3. Khamzat Chimaev
  4. Belal Muhammad
  5. Gilbert Burns
  6. Geoff Neal
  7. Stephen Thompson
  8. Sean Brady
  9. Vicente Luque
  10. Shavkat Rakhmov
  11. Jorge Masvidal
  12. Michael Chiesa
  13. Neil Manny
  14. Daniel Rodriguez
  15. Michel Pereira
4 Likes

Last week DFW said the plan is for the Edwards Usman trilogy fight to be in London, with Khamzat on the co-main

But there’s also been rumors of Khamzat v. Colby as a 5 round main event fight. I personally would rather have it be a 3 round comain event on the same card. That would be so epic

1 Like

Colby vs Khamzat winner fights the winner of Leon and Usman

Pretty simple

5 Likes

We all like to make fun of belal Muhammad… but no one can deny he looked great against Sean Brady and even got a finish victory

5 Likes

Does Burns have a fight…him vs Belal would be a good fight night main event

1 Like

I was confident Kevin Holland would return and his retirement did in fact only last a day. Now he’s headlining a Fight Night against Stephen Thompson

1 Like

There were a ton of rumors of Gilbert Burns fighting Jorge Masvidal on the Brazil card in January. But nothing is official

1 Like

Burns v. Belal would be a great fight and a test for both of them. Belal really did look great in his last fight

2 Likes

There’s not a name on this list that Jorge could beat

2 Likes

Belal should have already had a title shot but Ali does the UFC’a bidding and is willing to sacrifice his less favorited fighters to make his personal favorites shine (Kamaru and Islam)

Geoff Neal v. Shavkat Rakmonov is in January and meany believe SR has what it takes to be better than Khamzat. This’ll be the biggest fight of both of their careers currently and the winner of this fight could
Jump to the next title shot, after the winner of Colby v. Khamzat assuming that happens

3 Likes

Mixed Martial Arts Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

Kevin holland is a fighter who caught my attention a couple years ago and I’ve been a fan of his. I much prefer him at 170lbs. opposed to 185

Technically he’s 2-0 at 170, the Khamzat fight was a catchweight of 180lbs. But even if you say he’s 2-1 at 170, losing to Khamzat on 1 days notice is no big deal

I fully expect him to dismantle old man Wonderboy and put himself into the mix

2 Likes

Gilbert Burns was the only top ranked fighter to step up and fight Khamzat. He deserves a big fight as a reward. He was calling for Nate & Jorge, and Nate is gone now

Would love to see Burns v. Masvidal

Sport Mma GIF by UFC

1 Like

Going by Fight Matrix, of their top 25 WW’s in the world, the non UFC fighters are as followed:

1. Jason Jackson (Bellator)
  2. Sadibou Sy (PFL)
  3. Ray Cooper (PFL)
  4. Christian Lee (ONE)
  5. Logan Storley (Bellator)
1 Like

Great start, Vegito. Commenting to give props and subscribe to the thread. Another great division. Excited to see what Rakhmonov can do vs Neal and always amped for Wonderboy, Burns, and Holland fights. Hope Holland stays at 170 as well…and that he continues to train heavily in wrestling/grappling defence

2 Likes

Shavkat Rakmonov has been pretty exciting so far. 4-0 in the ufc with 4 finishes

The comparisons to Khamzat are warranted

3 Likes

Not very deep.

Khamzat and Shavkat are bringing much needed new blood.

1 Like

Tonight’s fight night card only has one WW matchup

(30) Max Griffin v. (35) Tim Means

Next weeks card has another

(16) Neil Magny v. (20) Daniel Rodriguez

Id like to see Burns vs Belal maybe? I guess Colby is tied up for now but i think Burns and Khamzat are the toughest styles for Colby. Maybe Shavkat too? I did think Colby would avoid Khamzat though…