UFC Winners Always Skip Next Show!

Why doesn't the UFC ever have the fighters participate in consecutive shows? They are trying to build fighters up and make them known to the fans, yet after a win the fighters usually skip one or two shows before fighting again. Seeing someone for a couple minutes every 4-5 months isn't going to make them a fan favorite.

Terrell is a great example. He beat Lindland and now he's getting tons of attention on the forum (and thus likely amongst the whole MMA community), yet I'll bet we don't get to see him in the next show. We got ONLY 25 seconds of Dave, then we'll be forced to wait months to see him again. Its one thing if a fighter is still injured from his last fight or something, but this is almost never the reason they don't come back immediately. Bad marketing IMO.

Most of the shows are done way ahead of time... the UFC 50 show was announced prior to the UFC 49 event... it has to be done like this to get posters, commercials and such done.

There have been back-to-backs before, but not often.

Thanks for the insight. I thought this was the case but I figured they'd leave a bit of flexibility. For example, aligning the potential winners of two fights to meet in the next UFC. As you say, its happened, but not often and I think it makes it hard for the casual fan to follow individual fighters.

Just Chuck he is getting all the bread!!!!!!!!!

When BJ Penn first broke onto the scene, in a 5 UFC span, he fought in 4. And he became a pretty big fan favorite during that time. Edit: I also realized that Tito first became a star during a similar stretch (4 appearances in 5 UFC span).

Most of the shows are done way ahead of time... the UFC 50 show was announced prior to the UFC 49 event... it has to be done like this to get posters, commercials and such done.

OK, so maybe Zuffa could sign 5 or 6 fights beforehand. But why not leave 2 or 3 fight slots open for potential big winners in the upcoming UFC (for example, Terrell in UFC 49)? Terrell is fit to fight, but now there is no room for him on the UFC 50 card. If Zuffa kept a couple slots open, they could've put him back on PPV within 2 months. Now it's going to be about 6 months (maybe more?) between PPV fights for Terrell. Hardly an effective method of building a star.

Would something like this be possible? It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do, but I don't know all the specifics of how a card is put together. But something needs to be done to keep the up and comers in the public eye, or new stars will be incredibly difficult to develop.