UG insight/opinions on catch wrestling?

Just wondering if anyone had something beyond what a person could get from a wiki on the subject as far as the style of fighting goes. I only heard the term when Sakuraba came on the scene and never connected the dots with the 'Catch as Catch Can' I had heard in passing in my short time wrestling in HS. It seems like it is anchored to Josh Barnett with other fans these days, but Jeremy Horn also supposedly cited it as one of his prime submission bases from what I understand?

Basically, just an open ended topic because I feel like I am pretty uneducated on what the subtle differences in style are there between BJJ and Greco-Roman wrestling with this style. It's seems like the most notable fighters are/were crazy durable...

Anyhow, topic for a n00b, but hopefully a decent one to discuss.

ProteinPower - Sup Aaron Henry, i think so.

?

Confused.

He means its better than kung-fu.

Okay, maybe I was a little too vague. It seems like the style has a legit pedigree in the semi recent history of combat sports, but it also seems like many of the people who practice it are just insanely tough to put away anyhow so they would probably have excelled under other styles in theory. In terms of training, would it be a good discipline still to look into compared to say BJJ or Sambo?

Em, also not asking as someone looking to train, Just from a fan perspective on what to make of the style...

catch WRESTLING=good for wrestlers who want to add vicious subs

contact bart vale, nick starks, will robinson, & JKD blokes like erik paulson. they seem to be open to it. gene lebelle too even tho he's known as judo gene, in the seventies and eighties he was doin mad subs and great holddowns, not just gi throws and gi chokes.

Nowadays grappling is grappling. Catch wrestling is the same as no-gi BJJ. They both have the same submissions. Catch guys like to say they have a different philosophy than BJJ guys but IMO it's the same, clinch, takedown, achieve top position, crush with tremendous pressure, submit. I think catch guys emphasize leglocks and neck cranks more though.

Fast Pitch - Nowadays grappling is grappling. Catch wrestling is the same as no-gi BJJ. They both have the same submissions. 
LOL.

If you have no experience...as you hint at when you say "IMO" and "I think catch guys emphasize...." then why try to come across like you are some authority? It's not the same as BJJ no-Gi, grappling is not grappling, and they have some similar submissions...some done a bit differently, some set up differently and plenty of submissions you will only find in one, but not in the other.

ausgepicht - 
Fast Pitch - Nowadays grappling is grappling. Catch wrestling is the same as no-gi BJJ. They both have the same submissions. 
LOL.

If you have no experience...as you hint at when you say "IMO" and "I think catch guys emphasize...." then why try to come across like you are some authority? It's not the same as BJJ no-Gi, grappling is not grappling, and they have some similar submissions...some done a bit differently, some set up differently and plenty of submissions you will only find in one, but not in the other.

Not trying to stoke the BJJ vs. catch fires, and I'm not trying to come across as an authority. Should have just stayed out of this one, as these threads always degenerate into some kind of battle. I have some experience (8 years of BJJ and a year of training with guys who trained in catch-influenced grappling). I said IMO because Barnett claims to be "pure" Catch yet he trains under a BJJ black belt, IS a BJJ black belt, and when I watch him grapple it looks to me like, well, BJJ mixed with some wrestling. OK you win, catch is different, and grappling is not grappling.

McLovin369 - Whats catch wrestling? LIke a mixture of wrestling and baseball?

yes exactly...

end of thread

Thank god someone finally addressed this fresh topic on the UG Phone Post

Fast Pitch - 
ausgepicht - 
LOL.

Not trying to stoke the BJJ vs. catch fires, and I'm not trying to come across as an authority. Should have just stayed out of this one, as these threads always degenerate into some kind of battle. I have some experience (8 years of BJJ and a year of training with guys who trained in catch-influenced grappling). I said IMO because Barnett claims to be "pure" Catch yet he trains under a BJJ black belt, IS a BJJ black belt, and when I watch him grapple it looks to me like, well, BJJ mixed with some wrestling. OK you win, catch is different, and grappling is not grappling.
NO ONE....NO ONE does anything pure when it comes to MMA these days. Josh is a Catch wrestler. It's what he identifies himself with, it's how his style is, it's what he spends most of his time training, and it's what he uses 90% of the time.

I could never understand the bias about Josh. When a BJJer takes up any Judo or wrestling, he never gets accused of not being a pure BJJer. He's called a BJJer. Why? Because it what he identifies himself with, it's what his style is, it's what he spends most of his time training, and it's what he uses 90% of the time. I think it's time to drop the double standard.

The only people saying he claims to be pure is his detractors who are putting words in his mouth or the people who don't have bad intentions, like yourself, but are repeating something they heard. Fair enough.

As I said...there are quite the number of similarities. You are seeing a lot of what is common ground and may very well be seeing Josh do something that is "pure" BJJ, but it doesn't mean he's not a Catch Wrestler. FWIW, Josh himself has said he's never trained in it (though surrounded by it, he is no doubt influenced) and the BJJ black belt he has is "honorary" based on his competitions (like Judo) and knowledge of it.

catchwrestler frank the legend glamcock went undefeated in ufc-brand besting sambo, wrestling, mma, and bjj practitioners.

bruce lee's catch against sammo in enter the dragon was very reminiscent of vernon tiger whites catch

LOL...bhealthy you're on a roll. Don't stop.

Fast Pitch - Nowadays grappling is grappling. Catch wrestling is the same as no-gi BJJ. They both have the same submissions. Catch guys like to say they have a different philosophy than BJJ guys but IMO it's the same, clinch, takedown, achieve top position, crush with tremendous pressure, submit. I think catch guys emphasize leglocks and neck cranks more though.
The mechanics and the base are not the same.

Fast Pitch - Nowadays grappling is grappling. Catch wrestling is the same as no-gi BJJ. They both have the same submissions. Catch guys like to say they have a different philosophy than BJJ guys but IMO it's the same, clinch, takedown, achieve top position, crush with tremendous pressure, submit. I think catch guys emphasize leglocks and neck cranks more though.

unless u rolled or trained with someone in catch ... this is far from the truth..i have seen ALOT of differences between the 2

bhealthy - contact bart vale, nick starks, will robinson, & JKD blokes like erik paulson. they seem to be open to it. gene lebelle too even tho he's known as judo gene, in the seventies and eighties he was doin mad subs and great holddowns, not just gi throws and gi chokes.

You're uninformed if you feel that Judo is only gi throws and gi takedowns

old school judo actually had strikes as well