Uh Mighty Mouse....you forgot to mention

combat sport vs team sport makes no difference, its still sport. i understand that it isnt the top guy necessarily making the #1 money but theres usually tiers to it at least. IE lebron might not be #1 but he is in the highest tier in addition to his marketing deserves the pay. Tiger woods may not be the best anymore but is probably still the biggest name and money maker in golf because he IS in the top tier AND marketing.

MM probably deserves a raise, but he shouldnt be paid as well as fighters who market themselves like mcgregor, no matter how much im not really a fan of that style.

but please, assholes, stop with the, "this is a different sport, potential is calculated by bur rates, not technical skill or success at the highest level of the sport" rhetoric. it makes you look like a spoiled shitbag with no logical stance on the subject. The UFC hedges the bet on there own success by gaming the just about everything about the sport, from the schedule to fighter pay, no other sport has the luxury of being able to cancel games due to their star being a pratt.

NBKfanforlife -

Who said that he is the best?  He is the best flyweight period.  It ends there. He is so small that EVERY other champion in every weight class would beat the shit out of him. The only chance he has is Cody and that is slim. He's tiny and only great against tiny people . That doesn't make him the best athlete in the sport. 

MM got dominated by dom in all areas. i see no advantage he has over cody, who is ridiculously hard to take down and packs more power than anyone MM has ever faced period

Ragingshaneistheanswer - Annoying? Only thing annoying, is you fucking shills. I guarantee in mm spot, you guys would not be happy either. Yeah, but keep being mad about someone wanted to be treated fairly.

The fighter is providing a service to the company; that service is entertainment to promote sales. The 'fair' assessment of his worth to the company is how well he fulfills his service. From the perspective of achieving sales he performs his service poorly - accordingly the 'fair' compensation for this is lower than other athletes who perform their service to the company better and achieve more sales. 

Size -

His claim also supposes an equality of weight divisions, which is a matter of opinion, but one that hardly anyone would agree with him on.

Further, on top of his division being the smallest guys, the percentage of the population that could or would fight in his weight division is likely among the least, if not the very least. So he's a big fish in a small pond...or a small fish in a tiny pond.

The percentage of those who would fight heavyweight may be small too, but such champions would ostensibly beat up all the others while MM probably can't beat any.

But he wants to be (more) subsidized by the fighters that have stiffer competition and inspire people to buy shows, and buying his argument is the only way one could be snowed into ignoring such facts. If he could only fight on profitable shows exclusively featuring his weight class, he'd probably need a day job imo.

So are saying that Stipe would win in a fight with MM? YOU ARE A RACIST.  Don't come at people here in fantasy land with facts. It simply isn't fair.

How many true draws does the UFC have? Is there even 4? Headline a PPV with Paige VanZant, who would fall in line with the "marketable" conversation being had here, and see how many it sells. They have nearly nobody who can actuallly sell PPVs on their name.

Pay the Mouse. Crazy how often the UG complains about poor treatment of fighters but bashes guys for wanting to be compensated. The guy's been around for a while and he's at 10 defenses. He's received very minimal promotion from the UFC. Since nobody but Conor really sells PPVs, merit should be at least kind of in the discussion.

Andrewsimar Palhardass -

How many true draws does the UFC have? Is there even 4? Headline a PPV with Paige VanZant, who would fall in line with the "marketable" conversation being had here, and see how many it sells. They have nearly nobody who can actuallly sell PPVs on their name.

Pay the Mouse. Crazy how often the UG complains about poor treatment of fighters but bashes guys for wanting to be compensated. The guy's been around for a while and he's at 10 defenses. He's received very minimal promotion from the UFC. Since nobody but Conor really sells PPVs, merit should be at least kind of in the discussion.

He is getting paid. He's getting paid way more than PVZ, that's for sure. Should they pay him several million dollars each time he fights?

Most investors would get the hell out of the UFC is that were to happen.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -

He is getting paid. He's getting paid way more than PVZ, that's for sure. Should they pay him several million dollars each time he fights?

There's a reason you had to say "several million" to make it sound unreasonable. He made $350,000.00 in his last fight. Huge gap between that and several million. $350,000.00 is not a small amount of money, I'll give you that, but there's something to be said for the UFC to pay a guy like Mighty Mouse enough money to where he doesn't have to work when he retires. It's a brutal sport, and he's been on the top of it for years. It's not a good look on the promotion when their legends have money issues after their fighting careers. He doesn't need "several million dollars each time he fights". A couple of hefty paydays are definitely deserved though, and the UFC can absolutely afford it. I get the business aspect, but the UFC loves that the fans back them up on this because it justifies their pay structure. Pay the damn Mouse. He deserves it.

Jason -
Ragingshaneistheanswer - Annoying? Only thing annoying, is you fucking shills. I guarantee in mm spot, you guys would not be happy either. Yeah, but keep being mad about someone wanted to be treated fairly.

But that is the point. He is more than treated fairly. You could very well argue that he is over compensated

You make your own luck

Andrewsimar Palhardass -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -

There's a reason you had to say "several million" to make it sound unreasonable. He made $350,000.00 in his last fight. Huge gap between that and several million. $350,000.00 is not a small amount of money, I'll give you that, but there's something to be said for the UFC to pay a guy like Mighty Mouse enough money to where he doesn't have to work when he retires. It's a brutal sport, and he's been on the top of it for years. It's not a good look on the promotion when their legends have money issues after their fighting careers. He doesn't need "several million dollars each time he fights". A couple of hefty paydays are definitely deserved though, and the UFC can absolutely afford it. I get the business aspect, but the UFC loves that the fans back them up on this because it justifies their pay structure. Pay the damn Mouse. He deserves it.

If he would be a PPV draw, he would have been on a PPV card, and earned more. That $350k you quote is a product of him not being a draw.

I guess my question to you would be this:

Would the UFC take a noticeable hit to their income if MM would not be on their roster? 

I think a lot of people have jobs that are underpaid and deserve more. However in capitalism it's about what you contribute to the bottom line. If shareholders think it's in their best interest to pay you more they will.

The bottom line, from a purely financial perspective, it makes absolutely no logical sense to pay him more.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -

If he would be a PPV draw, he would have been on a PPV card, and earned more. That $350k you quote is a product of him not being a draw.

Would the UFC take a noticeable hit to their income if MM would not be on their roster? 

I think a lot of people have jobs that are underpaid and deserve more. However in capitalism it's about what you contribute to the bottom line. If shareholders think it's in their best interest to pay you more they will.

The bottom line, from a purely financial perspective, it makes absolutely no logical sense to pay him more.

They'd take a credibility hit, and in the long run that matters when it comes to the bottom line. I think that viewing things in terms of an immediate, tangible bottom line is a shallow way to run a business. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Also, as I asked before, how many PPV draws do they really have? After Conor, there's a huge drop off before you even get to the number 2 guy. I get that DJ isn't the number 2 guy, but a guy who defends his belt 10 times or more and becomes arguably one of the best fighters your promotion's ever had should be set up for life when he leaves. He doesn't have to make Conor money ever, much less every fight, but he deserves a million dollar payday in my eyes.

Yeah sit down and shut up, you arguably the pfp fighter best of all time. How dare you question and ask for more especially after performing time after time with little or no complaint. And how dare you question the UFC's compensation levels cause that's already unquestionably where it should be. Really folks? This is what we're thinking now? SMH at many of outraged posts on this thread.

The money in prize fighting is directly proportionate to how many fans want to see it. Sadly it has way less to do with how good they are.

Sack up and challenge the winner of Dillasnake and Garbrandt and more people will tune in, more media coverage will ensue, more money will follow.

Found it odd that he would mention how he cried after his losses, but then tells a chick to just "get over it" Shit, you were sobbing like a baby over a loss most people don't even remember, but a woman who falls from the absolute top of the pedestal should just shake it off? C'mon.

Andrewsimar Palhardass - 

Minimal promotion? Every talking head in the UFC is calling him the imaginary best fighter in the sport.

On top of that he's headlined numerous FOX cards, people just don't give a shit about the weakest male division in the sport. Im sure he has PPV points like all other champions, it is just when he's on PPV, they bomb.

Andrewsimar Palhardass -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Andrewsimar Palhardass -

They'd take a credibility hit, and in the long run that matters when it comes to the bottom line. I think that viewing things in terms of an immediate, tangible bottom line is a shallow way to run a business. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Also, as I asked before, how many PPV draws do they really have? After Conor, there's a huge drop off before you even get to the number 2 guy. I get that DJ isn't the number 2 guy, but a guy who defends his belt 10 times or more and becomes arguably one of the best fighters your promotion's ever had should be set up for life when he leaves. He doesn't have to make Conor money ever, much less every fight, but he deserves a million dollar payday in my eyes.

You have somewhat of a point regarding the long term, viewpoint but with MM, I don't think there would be groundswell of resentment from fans if he doesn't get increased pay.

You ask who besides Conor is a draw in the UFC. Well, Conor is the extreme, pulling over 1 million UFC buys. MM is on the other end of the extreme. There are a number of champs and non-champs like Andy that are bigger draws than MM.

I think MM is underpaid and it is the fault of the UFC. The UFC IS the promotion and is responsible for all promoting. They put together the marketing campaigns and decide who to do promotionals on. They find the stories and angles that resonate with fans and the UFC CAN make stars. They also sign the paychecks.

MM is a fighter. It is bullshit to expect him to play pro-wrestler so he can get paid more. 

With his division cleaned out, if he's so "p4p best", let alone "ever", he should be fighting middling bantamweights and steamrolling them Anderson Silva 205-style, maybe wreck a former champ a la Forrest Griffin. That would help, but he even ducks Dillashaw within his own weight class so he can run up a streak on scrubs and/or guys he's already beaten. Sad! 

He wants to keep styling on the tiny proportion of MMA fighters who can both make 125 and don't want the stiffer comp. of 135. If Mighty Mouse were proportionally larger to the point he pretty much had to fight in say 145 or 155, he would not be some world beater. He'd be a Frankie Edgar at best.

And Dana's already tried to shame people as "not real fans" if they don't enjoy watching MM buzz around dominating other little rat men in a low-risk manner, but he's not stupid enough to throw a bunch of money down the toilet trying to trying to make such a spectacle and the personality-deficient star of it more popular.

Might be annoying but dude has Valid claims

no one in the history of mma has been as dominant a champ as he has and not gotten the machine behind him at some point

if UFC wanted they could push him to the moon with his resume

they dont

mm shows up and fights and wins everytime

Kimo Lives - 

Might be annoying but dude has Valid claims

no one in the history of mma has been as dominant a champ as he has and not gotten the machine behind him at some point

if UFC wanted they could push him to the moon with his resume

they dont

mm shows up and fights and wins everytime

Thats a lot of spaces between sentences my man. But yes hes great, but look at the circumstances. He is great in a division in which the average non-jockey athlete can never make.

Hes fighting at a weight thats literally the 3rd percentile for boys aged 20 according to the CDC. Its like being the best basketball player in a league thats only men under 5'1". No one cares if you are the best when we know that a fraction of the population even exists in your division.

Hes a great fighter. But he doesnt have to worry about 1-punch kos because the power they generate is minimal and the talent pool is so shallow because something like 2-3% of the adult male population even weighs 125.

A huge proportion of the world averages 5'5" or less. Look it up. I realize the UFC is U.S. centric and has abandoned a significant part of their global effort but thought it's worth pointing out that most of world is short and small. There are other huge markets besides our meathead America but I suppose that doesn't necessarily matter given the changed goals of the UFC.