Uhh, Sherk and GSP leaving the UFC???

MODS DELETE PLEASE

They haven't gone anywhere yet, but those would be huge losses. 

Especially if both of these guys won the titles and then left? I don't know how much of this I believe, maybe Trigg or someone elsse from TAGG could get on here and elaborate a bit but, this is definitely an interesting story, especially with Dave Meltzer saying the same thing.

GSP leaving would be the official down turn of the UFC...and you can take that to the bank

I find it hard to believe as well. Like I said, maybe Trigg could come on here and explain a little more but, I truly doubt either guy would get a title shot if this were the case.

GSpenn fan - GSP leaving would be the official down turn of the UFC...and you can take that to the bank

definitely the 170 division.... the 155ers would still be alive though.and really those are the divisions i like the best.

Brigham - 

Especially if both of these guys won the titles and then left? I don't know how much of this I believe, maybe Trigg or someone elsse from TAGG could get on here and elaborate a bit but, this is definitely an interesting story, especially with Dave Meltzer saying the same thing.

Don't forget, Zuffa's contracts indefinately extend fighters' contracts if they are title holders.  If they are champs and try to leave, they will be in the same boat that Handy is in.

I doubt GSP will leave. He's going to be champ in 8 days.

Ew, that'd be absolutely brutal for UFC.

I really don't see there being any chance especially with GSP.  He's always said how much he loves it there and I'm sure they'd have no problem compensating him.

As others have mentioned, the infamous "champion's clause" would automatically extend their contracts should GSP and Sherk win.

But maybe they can wait and see how the court rules in the ongoing HDNet v. Zuffa case (regarding when or if Randy's contract with the UFC will expire) on whether that "champion's clause" is enforceable.

Zuffa actually has a lot more to lose long-term than just Randy if the court rules that it isn't.

Maloverde - 
Brigham - 

Don't forget, Zuffa's contracts indefinately extend fighters' contracts if they are title holders.  If they are champs and try to leave, they will be in the same boat that Handy is in.

I have never heard of the champion clause. I would think that would be illegal. Randy is in the boat he is in because he still had 2 fights left on his contract, it had nothing to do with him being the champion. He was on a 4 fight deal and only fulfilled 2 of them.

"Uhh, Sherk and GSP leaving the UFC???"

Ouch....

It would be nice to get a little more info on the situation. I mean, if Meltzer is reporting it as well, there has to be atleast a little substance to the issue, don't you think?

For the record Dave Meltzer is NOT reporting this to be true.

I call BS.

"You made that up. They don't automatically extent if you win the title dude. Randy is in the boat he is in because he still had 2 fights left on his contract, it had nothing to do with him being the champion. He was on a 4 fight deal and only fulfilled 2 of them."

Yes - but they could just decide not to schedule him for a fight... meaning that until those fights are used up they can't fight for another organisation.

If it was a case of GSP winning the title - then having to fight two mandatory defences of that title and THEN leaving the contract would be "normal".

But the "indefinite" aspect is that after winning the title the UFC could begin negotiations to extend the contract, and until GSP signs that he's accepted the UFC terms they could simply not schedule him to fight... meaning they have him indefinitely and have removed all real bargaining power for the upcoming contract.

What.. you don't like it? Well... you either sign with us again or we don't schedule you to fight and you can't legally fight ever again!

"Okay, this is my last thread, I promise..."

TTT

Brigham - 
Maloverde - 
Brigham - 

I have never heard of the champion clause. I would think that would be illegal. Randy is in the boat he is in because he still had 2 fights left on his contract, it had nothing to do with him being the champion. He was on a 4 fight deal and only fulfilled 2 of them.

Look into it, there's only been a million threads about it.  Part of their contract states that title holders are continously extended until they are no longer champion, unless of course Zuffa drops them on their own.  

That's the reason why Randy tried to resign as champion.  So that clause wouldn't effect him.  It didn't work.

at least 1/2 of this is false