UK cannot produce viable MMA prospects. Why?

I thought the sport was big in the uK now.

same reason they have messed up teeth....

inferior gene pool

Give them time. They are just getting started. They need some wrestling programs in schools and shit.

No wrestling.

Seriously, how can you say we can't produce 'prospects'? Surely, if anything, it should be 'UFC champions', because we've got plenty of prospects.

Etim is the very definition of a good 'prospect'; so it John Hathaway. Shit, even Hardy, Daley et al are 'prospects'.

GaymidaGaydan - No wrestling.

GladiatorGannon - 
Hathaway?

OshKos B'Josh All American Blanket -  I thought the sport was big in the uK now.

It's not big at all.

Dominicf - 
OshKos B'Josh All American Blanket -  I thought the sport was big in the uK now.

It's not big at all.

Well, most 'ordinary' people don't know what MMA is, but on the other hand, most younger people do, and the UFC can still sell out a 20,000 seat arena with ease.

BanTheUKmmaNoobs - 
GladiatorGannon - 
Hathaway?

With both being 3-0 in the UFC Hathaway vs. Hendricks would be a great fight.

Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

It's not that big in the U.S. either.  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.  Hell even NASCAR, and even boxing are all still bigger than MMA.

LOL ! Growing up in most places in the UK you have to be able to fight but people would have considered grappling to be a very gay way of fighting. Boxing has a long history in the UK but wrestling just doesn't feature. MMA is a real minority sport (although that's changing) and you won't get many really rounded athletes for another 5-10 years.

btw.. I'm just kidding.. it's obviously their lack in wrasslin skills....

bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

It's not that big in the U.S. either.  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.  Hell even NASCAR, and even boxing are all still bigger than MMA.

Exfuckingactly. All those sports are WAY bigger than MMA. NFL, MLB & NBA arent even in the same stratosphere.

I actually think MMA is now bigger than Boxing though. Golf is WAY bigger than MMA here, too.

I know you UK folks think MMA is huge here but its not, its very small still. Its probably relative to the UK.

Also, CRE's post is correct.

thebasher - LOL ! Growing up in most places in the UK you have to be able to fight but people would have considered grappling to be a very gay way of fighting. Boxing has a long history in the UK but wrestling just doesn't feature. MMA is a real minority sport (although that's changing) and you won't get many really rounded athletes for another 5-10 years.

Yeah, here in America when we get in street fights its usually a real grapple fest. Pull your head out of your ass.

Has the UK produced better Boxers than the US? Again, pull your head out of your ass.

Gay4Gayhard - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

Exfuckingactly. All those sports are WAY bigger than MMA. NFL, MLB & NBA arent even in the same stratosphere.
I actually think MMA is now bigger than Boxing though. Golf is WAY bigger than MMA here, too.

I know you UK folks think MMA is huge here but its not, its very small still. Its probably relative to the UK.

I would agree that the Majors of boxing is falling off big, and maybe MMA has passed it, but I think the smaller local shows, and gyms in boxing have more participants, and events for now. Good call on golf, Ever since Tiger about 12 years ago, that has exploded, especially getting a higher number of minorities than it did before him.

^^^ Yep

Gay4Gayhard - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

Well if you're insisting MMA isn't very big in the USA yet either I'll just have to take your word for it.

I'd be interested if someone here could tell us the number of MMA specific gyms there are in the USA compared to how many in the UK.

That would reveal a lot about the respective popularity/participation rates.

Tell you what, MMA is def. bigger here in the US than it is in the UK, thats obvious, we basically invented it.

I'm sure we have many more MMA gyms than you BUT in the big scheme of things its not that much bigger.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Hockey, Nascar, Poker, Soccer (unfortunately) are all much bigger.

Highschool Football is so much bigger than Pro MMA here in the US that its kind of funny. To put things in perspective.

BTW, I dont consider Nascar or Poker sports but thats the category you have to put them in and theyre both way bigger.