UK cannot produce viable MMA prospects. Why?

if there ever a time for Catch Wrestling to make a come back.

If you showed a Wrestling DVD to a load of English teenage schoolboys I can guarantee the mass response would be, "Thats gay as fuck".

Wrestling is literally non-existant over here whereas Kickboxing and Boxing are huge, as is been shown in our current MMA prospects.

bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 
OshKos B'Josh All American Blanket -  I thought the sport was big in the uK now.

It's not big at all.
It's not that big in the U.S. either.  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.  Hell even NASCAR, and even boxing are all still bigger than MMA.

relax buddy MMA is bigger than the NHL. Right now in the US id say its on par with boxing, MMA has its own fanbase. Check the ratings, we consistently go plat on CBS.

All these other leagues have been around for at least 50+ years. If MMA grows and there are more strikers, in 50 years MMA will be bigger than the MLB/NBA.

Cretard - I think it's the school system and society, English in general tend to be more civilized, look at their crime rates.

I had to fight growing up as did many of my peers, most Americans have fought, most English have not, as we are the #1 fighting Nation in the history of the world. I believe our people proved that in 1776.
Is that when the french bailed you out of the shit??? 

yep nation of warriors :)

joemama - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 
OshKos B'Josh All American Blanket -  I thought the sport was big in the uK now.

It's not big at all.

It's not that big in the U.S. either.  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.  Hell even NASCAR, and even boxing are all still bigger than MMA.

relax buddy MMA is bigger than the NHL. Right now in the US id say its on par with boxing, MMA has its own fanbase. Check the ratings, we consistently go plat on CBS.

All these other leagues have been around for at least 50+ years. If MMA grows and there are more strikers, in 50 years MMA will be bigger than the MLB/NBA.

mma is microscopic as a sport on US TV. they're happy if they get 1 million viewers while sports like the NFL to 40 million and the superbowl did 156million which is unreal. nascar events sell out 200,000 seats they're also microscopic in revenue generated. the NFL did over 4 BILLION last year.

I mean let's get real. the UFC is BY FAR the biggest org right? well one team in the NFL is worth more than the entire UFC. The Dallas Cowboys are valued at 1.5 billion and there are 32 teams in the NFL

as for the NBA? please... 30 teams, and last year one was valued at 600m. that means 2 of the 30 NBA teams are worth more than the entire UFC. the NBA also averages 26.4 million viewers on Sunday night alone

it's bigger than the UK i guess, I don't know. but don't be silly and try to compare it to any mainstream US sport. it's like saying a 3 year old kid running down the street compares to olympic sprinters     

lol, its not a sport over here, there isnt even a commission, its small cheese.

I think the UK gives a good showing of itself personally, we have plenty of prospects in the UFC.

just like the yanks cant produce rugby players, cos they are fucking pussies.................simples

CaptainAhab87 - just like the yanks cant produce rugby players, cos they are fucking pussies.................simples

Why would americans be interested in producing something nobody here even remotely cares about?

HI KKM - America, kicking UK's ass since 1776
Well said Frenchie :)

humphrey sphinctermuscle - 
CaptainAhab87 - just like the yanks cant produce rugby players, cos they are fucking pussies.................simples

Why would americans be interested in producing something nobody here even remotely cares about?

well obv there are more rugby fans than mma fans around the world. just a simple statement, USA want to be the best and fail horridly, especially when they are ranked below teams like tonga and georgia ...................oh yeah and lets not forget canada.

some with our fighters they want to be the best but are failing..................horridly

no, nothing like the same thing. NOBODY here cares even a little about rugby.

you sound stupid.

Im not into the bashing between the us and uk here at all... ive lived in both countries... the US has better resources but the UK have done well with whats on offer..........

and while we are here..... this is a tale of another US cruiser getting put down by a little known UK battler making some waves :)

http://www.bobhenneman.info/belgrano.htm

Couldn't find much on rugby players, but according to what I did find, the highest paid rugby player is 1.5 million.

but also found this

They don't earn anywhere near as much as footballers. The average wage is between 150-300 k a year with the highest possibly going on to earn just short of a million a year.

Currently the highest paid player is Matt Giteau earning the above amount of around a 750k - a million.

Ely manning makes 16 million. CHRIST the league minimum is 325.000 ROFL . so the worst players in the NFL, the guys that wilL NEVER play, make twice the average rugby player. hahah

Any American worth his salt goes to play football over rugby, as that's where the $$ is.

Hell look @ Demracus Ware for the Dallas Cowboys. I'm fairly certain the dude could thrive in any sport (including rugby) given his athleticism.

But the man is getting paid 78mil over 6 years to play football... and he's a D-man!!

What do the blokes get paid to play rugby?? I'm fairly certain, whatever the pay, 90% or more of NFLers scorboard it...

This is very true..... and of course he goes where the $$$ are

The thing is A Football, baseball and basketball are just not that big on a global scale... yes millions of US fans tune in but on a global level no one out side of the country follows it... ok Baseball is big in Japan basketball is some countries but it seems large global sports are not big in the US and US sports are not big else where.

Its good to have the choice and to follow what you like but its strange isnt it

I like the fact that you can watch rounders played by men and you dont have to go to a gay picnik to witness it :)

joemama - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

Um, there are over 300 NHL players who get over a million a year to play hockey. There are over 20 cities that fill 10-20 thousand seats 40 times a year plus play-offs in the NHL. MMA might have 10 guys who make a million a year, and fill maybe 20 arena's a year in North America (which is about a week's worth of NHL). MMA is nowhere close to being as big as the NHL - every major city would have to fill 10-20 thousands seats for MMA 40 times a week to be the NHL's size. And the NHL is tiny compared to the NBA, MLB, or the NFL.

BeefSupreme - 

Any American worth his salt goes to play football over rugby, as that's where the $$ is.

Hell look @ Demracus Ware for the Dallas Cowboys. I'm fairly certain the dude could thrive in any sport (including rugby) given his athleticism.

But the man is getting paid 78mil over 6 years to play football... and he's a D-man!!

What do the blokes get paid to play rugby?? I'm fairly certain, whatever the pay, 90% or more of NFLers scorboard it...

of course they are gettin paid more, doesnt mean he'll be any good though? i mean i'd like to see the situation where an NFL star is put in a rugby game and vice versa

georgejonesjr - 
joemama - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

Um, there are over 300 NHL players who get over a million a year to play hockey. There are over 20 cities that fill 10-20 thousand seats 40 times a year plus play-offs in the NHL. MMA might have 10 guys who make a million a year, and fill maybe 20 arena's a year in North America (which is about a week's worth of NHL). MMA is nowhere close to being as big as the NHL - every major city would have to fill 10-20 thousands seats for MMA 40 times a week to be the NHL's size. And the NHL is tiny compared to the NBA, MLB, or the NFL.

Ice Hockey is more popular in europe then other American sports

Might have something to do with the cold tho

georgejonesjr - 
joemama - 
bismanfightclub - 
Dominicf - 

It's not big at all.

exactly.

christ this alone answers that question

NHL average salary

2007-08 $1,906,793[/quote

judging from the small sample of UK folks here, I would say it's mental defects that prevent UK MMA'ers from developing into top prospects.

The bjj is only decent, i cant recall a british sub victory in the ufc.