ultimate guard 1 question

Bolo, I’ve seen your guard passing tape & really liked how you did a thorough covering of posture & positioning. Do you have the same conceptual focus on your ultimate guard 1 dvd?

In class, I am shown all these cool looking submissions and sweeps from guard but I am never able to execute them on a resisting opponent. I have problems maintaining guard & doing the right things in guard so I could have a chance to do a submission or sweep. My instructor never covers the piece between ‘willing’ and ‘resisting’ opponent.

Is ultimate guard 1 a dvd on guard fundamentals as opposed to a dvd of submissions on a willing participant?

Every technique must be demonstrated on a willing opponent. No one can teach a specific technique when their partner knows what technique it is and tries to prevent that single technique from happening. Even on some instructional videos when the instructor asks the partner to give some resistance, it is "fake" resistance.

What you also need to define is what you mean by "resistance". Resistance by a skilled opponent is different than resistance by an unskilled opponent. Someone can attempt to counter your technique with pure strength while others can counter it with technique. Similarly, resistance by someone below your skill level is different than resistance by someone of the same skill level which may also be different from resistance from someone of a much higher skill level.

The problem you are having may be that your instructor is teaching techniques that are way beyond your skill level. To draw an analogy, he is teaching you to do back flips when you can barely walk. For example, before you learn "cool looking submissions", you need to learn how to put basic techniques in combination. You will have extreme difficulty handling resistance if you don't know how to do combinations as combinations teach you how to move around resistance.

I think you should look into getting my Ultimate Guard 1 and Guard 2. That should provide a pretty solid foundation in which you can add other things onto.

Closed Guard 1 teaches basic techniques from the closed guard, about a dozen or so bread-and-butter high percentage moves, step by step, with good details on the mechanics.

Closed Guard 2 teaches several 'reference points' (sit up/cross overhook, high-guard, underhook, overhook/whizzer, etc.), high percentage sweeps and submissions from each reference point, and most importantly, how to flow between the moves within the same point depending on resistance, and how to flow from one point to another to constantly pressure and attack. It's my current favorite guard tape (Modeiras is good too, but the 'reference point' strategy forms a better foundation, IMHO, which stuff like Modeiras can then be added to).

Thanks for you feedback. My guard game is so bad that I prefer the opponent pass my guard so I can reverse him on side control and then get on top. It sounds strange, but its either that or keep my legs locked & hold them and get nowhere. As soon as I unlock my legs, say to go for the 3 step armbar, it seems to be over. The armbar works great great in practice, but I never get past placing the foot on the hip and controling the arm, even with other newbies in class when rolling. They're always able to free their arm.

I can't control them from guard and I watch in awe as they start to pass. It seems to go in slow motion when it is happening. Sometimes I post off them and go back to my knees to avoid the pass, but most of the time I hope to reverse them when they get side control.

I don't have short legs either.

I have to learn how to think guard, your reference point strategy sounds like something I need.

There is a progression to the way I teach. From what you described, make sure you do not skip to UG2 and look past UG1. You also seem to need to learn basic open guard which UG1 addresses.

Ultimate Guard 1: Basics Preview Video