Ultimate Warrior

I've been watching wrassling for a loooooonnggg time. My fav used to be Ultimate Warrior.

I've read on here that he was some kind of nutcase, or didnt work well with others like a Golberg.

Can someone link me to or tell me the behind the scene stuff about the guy?

Thanx

I liked him too, until I understood the value of a good workrate.

If u want proof of how big a nut job the guy is, read one of his commentaries on his web site. They make _NO_ sense! Any guy who legally changes his name to "Ultimate Warrior" definately needs professional help.

UW was in actuality a very smart man who had a well developed plan, used the business to his advantage & came out FAR ahead from where he started.

Jim Hellwig (Warrior) was a licensed Chiropractor who saw the creative direction and massive amounts of money being made in pro wrestling. He realized that their was a demand for muscular guys & someone with a superior build that could find a way to capture the crowds imagination would stand out on any roster and be a success.

Hellwig never invested in learning how to 'work', instead he relied on his very impressive look & a unique style of physical charisma. To his credit, he had an uncanny ability to convey 'intensity'to the crowd that I've rarely seen before or since.

Did it work? The answer was a resounding yes! Despite the fact that he was virtually clueless in the ring, by using a routine of running full force from the dressing room down the aisle, wildly shaking the ropes & making weird gestures and mannerisms that interacted with the crowd, the Ultimate Warrior hit the top spot in the best performing wrestling company in the world. Most impressive of all was the fact that he achieved this in a remarkably short period of time.

The WWF roster was FILLED with guys who were better in ring performers, had proven track records as draws, who could cut better promos, were better all around performers, etc.

Yet what made Jim successful & allowed him to outperform them all was his simple but wildly effective formula of connecting with the audience in a way that made them invest in him emotionally. His merch sold, houses with him on the card went up, and in the end that's all that really mattered.

When the Ultimate Warrior beat Hulk Hogan, it was to be the beginning of a new era. That match did a huge gate at the Skydome, and it wasn't only Hogan who deserves the credit for that. Vince saw UW as the new torch bearer, the man who was to carry the company into the future.

Once on top, Vince expected more from Jim, and unfortunately he failed to deliver. Box office started to slide with him as Champ, and having poor matches and no willingness to improve as a performer didn't help.

The same drive & ambition that lead to his meteoric rise to the top, translated into a self destructive arrogance & stubbornness that limited his growth. The fall out was ugly as a depressed Hellwig went into seclusion after Vince took the belt off him and knocked him out of the money spot.

Since then, Hellwig has been somewhat of an enigma in pro wrestling. He's made occasional yet very short returns to both WWF & WCW, where inevitably due to his ego, his "problems with management" have lead to a swift parting of the ways.

Hellwig saved his money and is well off today. He has miraculously translated his name value into of all things a career as a political speaker! He uses a mixture of the philosophy of Ayn Rand, free market economics & social conservatism as his base for speaking gigs. Believe it or not, various organizations do pay him to appear.

Say what you want about the man now legally known as Warrior, but he made his money, saved it & unlike most came out a winner.

You can check him out at his official website:

http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/

OMG, he looks like the leader of a cult.

He was one my favorites when he was feuding with Rick Rude in WCCW as the Dingo Warrior. WWF turned his character into too much of a cartoon.

Thanx. Back then, it never corssed my mind he was a poor in ring performer. But then again, there was no RAW or big weekly televised shows. It was a star vs a nobody on TV back then.

"by using a routine of running full force from the dressing room down the aisle, wildly shaking the ropes & making weird gestures and mannerisms that interacted with the crowd, the Ultimate Warrior hit the top spot in the best performing wrestling company in the world"

That's the thing! His mic skill werent shabby either IMO. He came up with a great "Conan"-like persona.

is that a real picture or is it photoshopped?

"and having poor matches and no willingness to improve as a performer didn't help."

"UW was in actuality a very smart man who had a well developed plan, used the business to his advantage & came out FAR ahead from where he started. "

"To his credit, he had an uncanny ability to convey 'intensity'to the crowd"

"Despite the fact that he was virtually clueless in the ring"

Remind you of anyone guys?!?!?!

Chris.

The similarities between UW & Goldberg are striking. The main difference between them was that Hellwig created his own plan while Goldberg was coddled & diapered from day one.

Jim had no connections in the business and made his own way. Bill was brought in as a 'friend of Luger & Sting' and given immediate preferential treatment. Both had no appreciation or the fact that the hard work of OTHERS made them what they were. Yet at least UW didn't have a long history of seriously injuring people left & right, starting fights back stage or ending a co-workers career.

The formula of pushing a physically impressive guy through a winning streak in very short squash matches will always work to some extent...short term! The Road Warriors, Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar & Goldberg are all a product of this.

Yet the reality is, once a talent is over to the point that he is positioned as the REASON people should be buying a program (and not just a foil) in order to draw money he must become someone who can do more than just generic squash matches (or boring drawn out versions of it).

This is one of the reasons (among others) why Vince didn't repeat the 'job out my roster in squash matches' routine with Goldberg as he did with UW. He learned from past experience that it can only go so far before you get a negative return of the time & money invested.

The negative return is a result of a limited talented given too much too soon with no comprehension of 'why' they are where they are, and 'what' they need to become to be successful at an advanced level.

In other words, the formula can take someone to the top, but leaves them without the tools or ambition to survive there. If a promoter can tell in advance that the person wouldn't know how (or want to learn how) to use & cultivate those tools, then it really doesn't make sense to bring them up to that level. This is why both UW & Goldberg failed in the end.

By the time Goldberg left, he was so poor a performer that WWE had to ask him to even stop using the Jackhammer. Even such a simple move as that he couldn't perform without injuring people. As usual, you'll find no remorse from him for the back injury he caused Rodney Mack. At every turn Goldberg will cry "they misused me" as much like the village idiot, it all goes over his head.

Thanks for the insightful data, McCandyass.
I appreciate that you take the time to share this kind of information on this board.

"I'm glad you weren't there, you wouldn't even of recognized him."

Did your dad mention what was so different looking about him?

what happened to Rodney Mack?

Pops said he looks like a guy that was never an athlete before.

He said he looked like an average, kinda fat older dude.

He also said Bret was having a little trouble moving and talking.

God Damn!

"He also said Bret was having a little trouble moving and talking."

Man, that sucks!
Not trying to be cute, but that sounds like a description of Stu Hart...only he was in his 70's!

That is really sad.

uw said he quit wrestling cause he wanted to further his education - he had a third grade reading level, and said that arn anderson had to read him the menu at restaurants and shit

"uw said he quit wrestling cause he wanted to further his education - he had a third grade reading level, and said that arn anderson had to read him the menu at restaurants and shit "

How did he manage to become a licensed chiropractor with a third grade reading level? Guess there's no written test to get your license!

"By the time Goldberg left, he was so poor a performer that WWE had to ask him to even stop using the Jackhammer. Even such a simple move as that he couldn't perform without injuring people. As usual, you'll find no remorse from him for the back injury he caused Rodney Mack."-

WHOA! I didn't know about this. But he did use the Jackhammer repeatedly in WCW, and I never heard about people getting injured from it there.

Yet another reason I'm glad Jericho made him look stupid backstage.

hmmm

Mccandyass mentions Road Warriors as a one hit type thing similar to UW or Goldberg, but I really don't think of them that way. They were CONSTANTLY on top from 85-94 everywhere they went. A solid decade of dominance. Not anywhere NEAR UW/Gberg level of patheticness.

They weren't great workers though, but more than capable.