Uncharted 2: 1 hour in, not so great

Ok so I've been playing the game for over an hour now and I keep waiting for the "wow" factor. It is about as exciting as playing Super Mario Brothers or something. Climb and shift around on ledges and find large boxes with lights to turn off the security on locked doors. Yawn.

So what is so fucking great about this game? Cool graphics I guess, but man this game is pretty lame.

I finished Demon's Souls last month and that game is a lot better than Uncharted 2. I don't understand the earthshattering reviews for this game.

Does the game pick up or is always like this (jumping around ledges, hiding and gay hand to hand combat, etc)?

There's a lot of annoying platform stuff throughout the game, but it gets much better after the initial phase. There's lots of killing.

Edit: "Much better" when looking at it purely from a gameplay point of view, that is. Obviously in story terms the 'slow' early stuff in the museum works well.

From reading the GAF thread, the visuals at least get more and more spectacular as the game goes on.

jman -

I finished Demon's Souls last month and that game is a lot better than Uncharted 2. I don't understand the earthshattering reviews for this game.

Because business-wise, this NEEDS to be one of the PS3's earthshattering games.  It's supposed to be one of their definitive releases, so no matter how good or bad it is, it's going to get high reviews.

Like GTA IV getting perfect 10.0 reviews when everybody knows damn well it didn't deserve it.

OK I "forced" myself to play it this weekend and got to the begining of chapter 3. Borneo.

So if I'm into the start of Chapter 3, is it going to get better, the same or what?

I'm not really motivated to play more of this game.

give it to me then! i will give you 20$

"So if I'm into the start of Chapter 3, is it going to get better, the same or what?"

Everything I've read says it just keeps getting better and better with every chapter. Aren't there like 25 chapters or something?

WaltJ - 
 Because business-wise, this NEEDS to be one of the PS3's earthshattering games.  It's supposed to be one of their definitive releases, so no matter how good or bad it is, it's going to get high reviews.

Like GTA IV getting perfect 10.0 reviews when everybody knows damn well it didn't deserve it.

So the reviewers are paid off by Sony?

how on earth can you compare uncharted 2 with demons souls?

demons souls is an awesome game. i platinumed it.

however if you keep in your mind demons souls as you standard game. how on earth will you like uncharted 2, when the game is completely different experience then demons souls?

demons souls is a hardcore RPG game. while uncharted 2 starts for casual people. when you unlock crushing mode. you will get the same type of experience as demons souls. because you will get killed very fast.

also co op on crushing is amazing. that is what i am doing at the moment. trying to beat co op on crushing but it is very hard at the moment. still we get further and further because we develop better tactics. it is awesome fun.

kipling200 - 
WaltJ - 

So the reviewers are paid off by Sony?

Who knows.  Could be.

If not paid, at least "influenced" in one way or another.

This isn't just for Sony or Uncharted, either.....I'm sure it's every bit as possible to happen for the 360 and Wii as well. 

lol.  If you say so.

Like I said, I'm sure it's a terrific game.  I was just pointing out that there's no way certain games aren't going to get perfect (or nearly perfect) reviews when they come out.

A week from now when Modern Warfare II comes out, do you think it'll get near-perfect reviews, even if it is in fact not as good as its predecessor, MW I?  I fully believe that it would.

Ummm, Super Mario Brothers was AWESOME!

i did not enjoy gta 4 at all and think the 10/10 reviews were ridiculous. however, uncharted 2 is most certainly deserving of 10/10.

i'm just at chapter 16 and it continues to amaze me. i wish i could just sit back and watch the game, it's better than most movies. some funny moments too.

the parts on the train were great, especially taking down the helicopter.

the most cinematic and impressive game i've played and it really sucks me in. completely enthralling so far.

i've just woken up in a strange village and the visuals are better than any game i've ever seen. the animation is so smooth and lifelike - even the washing on the line and chickens running about look incredible!

A friend of mine is one of the Lead Programmers on this (and the first one)