Undergound roll call. What's your current work-out routine/diet/suppliment routine?

I’m fifty years old. Last year (13 months ago) I had open heart surgery for an aortic valve replacement. I had to start back over, from a fitness standpoint from the bottom. My current work out is as follows:

Every morning I get up, drink a tall glass of water and do 30 minutes of stretching, push-ups and core work. I’ve worked back up to sets of 50 push-ups, do my Russian twists, crunches, laterals, leg raises etc.

Mon/Fri: Power lifting. Dead lift and squat focus, Bulgarian split squats, single legs etc.

Tues-Thurs: Kettle bell functional movements 30 mins/ treadmill 30 mins

Sat Sunday: active recovery. Walk on treadmill, bike ride etc.

I do 2-3 weeks of hypertrophy, 2-3 weeks strength, 2-3 weeks power and take a full week off of literally nothing after a cycle.

Currently I’m back down to 17.5 percent body fat, I’m hoping to get that closer to 10-13% this winter. After the surgery I was just trying to walk from my bed to the front door of my house and back again a few times after the first week back from the hospital. It took 6ish weeks before I could do one push-up from my knees and it hurt like a MF’er.

The doctors have me on 1/2 cc of test a week, DHEA (50mg) and pregnenolone (50mg) daily and Arimidex (estrogen blokcer 1mg) twice a week. My morning breakfast is grilled chicken broccoli and scrambled eggs, lunch is a turkey burger and fresh fruit, dinner is salmon/shrimp with fresh vegitable. I’ll have some skinny pop popcorn to munch on at night and I keep 100 calorie packs of chocolate pudding in the fridge if I wake up late at night and feel like something sweet and cold.

2 Likes

Wake up at 5:30am

Drink water. Piss. Get dressed. Hit the gym

Sunday - triceps & shouders
Monday - Biceps
Tuesday - Lower body (legs & core)
Wednesday - Chest
Thursday - Back
Friday - Lower body (legs & core)
Saturday - rest day

Before each workout I mix preworkout and CGP creatine and drink that shit. I hit the treadmill for 30 minutes as I wait for it to kick in

As soon as I get home I drink a protein shake. Make breakfast. 5 eggs and a peanut butter bagel. Extra crunchy Jif peanut butter cause I’m a man of culture

Then 4 or 5 days a week right after breakfast I take my bike out for about an hour and a half. I love that shit

1 Like

Oh and this is the creatine I take daily with preworkout. I switch preworkouts every time I hit the store

And this is the protein shake I drink. 51g of protein and only 240 calories. Hard to beat that

1 Like

Damn

where do you get that protein shake?

I believe you can buy them in bulk off the MET-RX website but I buy them at the local Meijer. $3.50 a can I think. A little pricey but it tastes great and it’s loaded with protein

You are indeed a man of culture!

1 Like

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

1 Like

same as OP. was in the best shape of my life at 40. kinda slipped off until 42 when i had broke some ribs and just stopped exercising. at the same time, work got bad and i got pretty out of shape. at 46 now and on my way back though.

started back with SL5x5 and alternate between an hour of cardio on days i don’t lift and 30 minutes on days i do. currently at about a 1500 to 2000 deficit. gonna get back to TST by ski season.

no supps yet other than caffeine, fish oil and a multi. plan to add creatine and whey once i’m back at my fighting weight.

1 Like

I do something similar. Less focus on weights/strength, more focus on running/cardio lately for some career things. Usually heavy lifting and/or kettlbels once a week and a couple intense cardio sessions a week.

1 Like

Supplements that I recommend for improve strength/endurance recovery: -protein, creatine, beta alanine, fish oil, multi. If we want to talk general health or something like immune health which ive been focusing on lately than thats a different discussion.

tumeric supplements and glucosamine have helped a lot as well. lions mane is one of my fav supps but that’s more for cognition.

OP sorry to hear about your surgery and I hope everything is well with you. My exercise regimen doesn’t quite hold up to you guys, I’m nursing a couple of injuries. Right now I’m doing rehab on my re-injured MCL that I tore several years ago and didn’t properly recover from. I’m also doing some rehab on a shoulder impingement that happened doing bench press. Altogether I do 4 days a week of home physical therapy for those.

Aside from that I do yoga twice a week, walking twice a week, and core work three times a week. Right now I’m basically doing everything that I can do while not using my shoulder or knee, I can’t really even shadow box right now.

Edit: I don’t take any supplements. I don’t “diet” but I eat home cooked meals 7 days a week and just avoid bad foods for the most part. I’ve been incorporating more anti-inflammatory foods into my meals.

2 Likes

the best i’ve ever felt was when i was running about 6 miles or biking 20 miles a day with longer outings on the weekends. felt awesome. resting heart rate was 52 at altitude and would drop too 44 usually at sea level. i looked like a faggot though. cardio makes me feel better, lifting makes me look better.

3 Likes

Best to do both IMO.

yep, but i lean towards the cardio. hard to heavy lifting and heavy running at 46.

1 Like

Dude I know what you mean. Having great endurance feels fantastic, it drastically increases my energy levels daily. It also keeps me motivated to eat cleaner. It can be difficult to do that much cardio and lift as much as you want to.

Edit: I just remembered that my shoulder injury occurred when I started incorporating more weight lifting into my routine while I was still doing 1 hour of cardio 4x per week.

1 Like

L8er

TTT

TRT and no sugar

Did you have to get past a sugar addiction, or never cared for it?