Understanding Baseball

Soon March Madness, and the NBA finals will come to pass. And this time of year most feel is the lull for sports except for true Baseball fans.

Don't get me wrong, I think Baseball is fun to play. I played some little-league, till 13 years old, and I'm always down for some beer-league Softball...

It's this time of the year when I'm already looking forward to Football! I might watch the World Series, but for the most part watching Baseball is boring as fuck.

Doesn't have the action of Football, Basketball, or Hockey! Can the true Baseball fans chime in and educate me? What the big deal about Baseball?

It would take me too long to explain to you why Baseball is the purest, greatest game ever put together. Plus, since you don't like it to start, it would be a huge waste of my time.

MLB athletes make the most money without the risks contact sports have. They have their player problems as well. They poorly handled the steriod issue, and the Yankees will pay for the pennant.

Simply explain why it's pure?

Nice play on words there coach. They make the most money because it is the hardest sport to become a pro in and it has the most games in a season. Being big and strong or being a seven footer doesn't guarantee you shit in baseball. The Yankees can buy all the "pennants" they want, but they haven't won a world series in quite some time now, and with the pitching staff they have right now, I would be surprised if they even make the playoffs. Not saying that baseball doesn't have its problems. All sports do.

Don't try to understand why its not boring. It is boring. I do like baseball a lot, but its no football. Not even close.

"Being big and strong or being a seven footer doesn't guarantee you shit in baseball."

or football, and basketball...

"Its boring"

Go back to playing video games, or needing broadcasters entertain you. I notice a lot about people who like/dislike baseball.

Baseball purists are usally smart and normal. Baseball haters, especially those that compare it to other sports, are idiots.

Don't get me wrong, I love some football. And I really like basketball, especially March Madness. And I enjoy the NBA once the playoffs start. Other sports too.

But no sport builds drama like baseball does.

And not everyone gets it, and I understand that, I don't have the patience for a lot of other things that other people get. Nascar? Get the fuck out of here. Different things for different people, I guess. But baseball is just beautiful to me. A huge part of our nation's history too. Name a sport with more quality movies about it than baseball, g'head. Who broke the color barrier in football? Basketball? Now, baseball?. Even the dumbest asshole here knows about Jackie Robinson, and there's a point there. That's how much baseball has mattered over the years.

And I realize it's about as exciting as watching paint dry to most people in our generation, but I for one will always love baseball. Shit, even the venues are special. The line from Bull Durham - "the ballparks are like cathedrals" says it all...

Even though baseball has been passed by football and even basketball in the last twenty years or so, it's still worth noting that baseball has been around in this country since about the time that slavery ended. It's a huge part of Americana, and rightly so...

They make the most money because it is the hardest sport to become a pro in and it has the most games in a season.

Highly incorrect statement.

I am a huge baseball fan.
I can watch any baseball game. College, littleague, MLB.

I just think its a great game and the precision needed to hit those corners on the plate on a regular basis or smack a breaking ball to the opposite field is incredible.

"They make the most money because it is the hardest sport to become a pro in and it has the most games in a season."

"Highly incorrect statement."

Would you care to enlighten as to why that statement is deemed highly incorrect? Anyone who follows sports knows that the hardest thing to do is to hit a baseball.

Man, I think baseball players make the most money because there's no salary cap.

I always say I'm a Padres fan but not a baseball fan. Take note that this doesn't mean I "hate" baseball. It just means I don't find it as interesting as basketball, football, soccer or MMA.

And if you think that people that liking baseball makes you smarter or more sophisticated than people who don't, come off it, seriously.

"Anyone who follows sports knows that the hardest thing to do is to hit a baseball."

I don't know that - I know that list came out, which I think said the hardest thing to do was hit a fastball (not just a baseball), but most people agreed that list was kind of dumb and arbitrary. Not that hitting a baseball is easy, obviously, but I don't see how you could say it's the hardest thing to do in ALL of sports.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. "

-Taken from the greatest baseball movie of all time.

Yougottawanna, my opinion on hitting a baseball being the hardest thing to do does not come from some list. Have you ever played baseball? Just curious.

Think of it like this, the best of the best, the Hall of Fame of the sport, strive to hit .300 over their careers. That means they fail 7 out of 10 times. Where would you be in football if you were a QB with a 30% completion percentage (besides starting for the Bears), or where would you be if you shot 30% from the field in hoops? You wouldn't be playing, even in your rec league. But in baseball, to get any kind of hit 30% of the time over a sustained career, you are one of the best to ever play.

Hell, if you wanted a game where men in funny outfits hit a damn ball around until someone outperforms the other, then baseball cannot hold the wicket of cricket. Those fuckers take days! Days, I tell ya!

Tex is right.

"Yougottawanna, my opinion on hitting a baseball being the hardest thing to do does not come from some list. Have you ever played baseball? Just curious."

I played little league, if you think that counts.

But declaring hitting a baseball to be the hardest thing in sports makes no sense. You could just as easily say the hardest thing in sports is to run the 100 meter dash in 9.77 seconds, which is so hard only one person has ever done it (without juicing). Or to score 100 points in an NBA game, same thing.

different strokes for different folks....

for mine, motor sport is the most boring and, pointless shit ever but, for some, it rocks...

any US invented sport sucks to me but, they seem to like it over there no matter how silly it seems to others.

unless you have a vested interest... most sport is boring as fuck..... ever watch a horse race when you haven't bet? pretty fkn dull.. but if you have $50 each way on one it becomes exciting.....

US wouldn't get into cricket in a million years... unless they made it to a world cup final and then it would excite them.

I'll stick with MMA.. it rocks.... for me.

I love baseball. It's intricate and takes intelligence and skill to excel at. It's a lot like MMA in many regards. There's a lot more to the sport than once you learn to appreciate it. And its true baseball fans generally tend to be smarter individuals.

Plus baseball builds upon its history like no other sport can. Statistics are just more meaningful in baseball compared to other sports.