Understanding Nick Diaz

Inner-city America is often stereotyped as a place of random violence; in fact, violence in the inner city is regulated through an informal but well-known code of the street. How you dress, talk, and behave can have life-or-death consequences, with young people particularly at risk.

The culture of the street thrives and often defeats decency because it controls public spaces, so that individuals with higher, better aspirations are often entangled in the code and its self-destructive behaviors.

The code is a response to the lack of jobs that pay a living wage, to the stigma of race, to rampant drug use, to alienation and lack of hope. An individual's safety and sense of worth are determined by the respect he commands in public, a deference frequently based on an implied threat of violence. Unfortunately, even those with higher aspirations can often become entangled in the code's self-destructive behaviors.

At the heart of the code is the issue of respect, loosely defined as being treated 'right' or being granted one's 'props' (or proper due) or the deference one deserves.

It may be hard for some to understand that have never experienced inner-city life.

Basically it is all about respect

The culture of the street is irrational ghetto dog shit.  They always demand it but NEVER give it back.  Idiot hypoctrites, fuck "the streets".  They can have their bullshit one way street ghetto code.  I live in the real world where respect is not only taken from others but given back as well, something entitled ghetto trash has a hard time understanding.

Nonlinear - 

The culture of the street is irrational ghetto dog shit.  They always demand it but NEVER give it back.  Idiot hypoctrites, fuck "the streets".  They can have their bullshit one way street ghetto code.  I live in the real world where respect is not only taken from others but given back as well, something entitled ghetto trash has a hard time understanding.

This

Nonlinear - 

Said the guy that cannot fathom another sub-culture or different socialization process beyond his own.

Because the ghetto (barrio, China-town, trailer park, wrong-side-of-the-tracks) is not part of the real world.  It's like Disneyland.

Irony.  Not understanding nor giving a fuck about "irrational ghetto dog shit" but expecting those exact same "entitled ghetto trash" to understand and respect your "real world."

Nick needs to take a lesson from Ice-T. Get it together and hit the gates, bro.

Ya gotta get out!
Ya gotta get out! Why?
Cause the fields are where you die!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XPvxXSjn0

Seriously, he has all the resources to get himself out of the self-fulfilling loop.

ShawnTheBadger - 
Nonlinear - 

Said the guy that cannot fathom another sub-culture or different socialization process beyond his own.

Because the ghetto (barrio, China-town, trailer park, wrong-side-of-the-tracks) is not part of the real world.  It's like Disneyland.

Irony.  Not understanding nor giving a fuck about "irrational ghetto dog shit" but expecting those exact same "entitled ghetto trash" to understand and respect your "real world."

I'm from St. Louis, dumbass.  Fuck off and take your Ghetto Code of Honor and Irrational Rules of Respect with you.

I've seen first hand countless times how this ghetto trash obsession with respect leads to people getting shot because they are too stupid and too proud to humble themselves or be gracious to another.

There are guys in MMA from WAR TORN MASSACRING CONSTANTLY CHANGIN FEUDAL DICTATORIAL REGIMES like the Congo and others.

The people that act like USA street life compares to the shit people have gone through in Africa, the Carribean and South America is typical 1st world obtuse ignorant garbage.

I hope he eventually fights a fighter from one of these countries and gets put in his place.

Nonlinear - 
ShawnTheBadger - 
Nonlinear - 

I'm from St. Louis, dumbass.  Fuck off and take your Ghetto Code of Honor and Irrational Rules of Respect with you.

Truth hurt much?

ShawnTheBadger - 
Nonlinear - 
ShawnTheBadger - 
Nonlinear - 

Truth hurt much?

I don't know?  You tell me.  You're the one who thinks being a disrespectful cunt to anyone and everyone then demanding they respect you and getting angry when they don't is a healthy and rational way for humans to behave and not childish thug life bullshit.

Johnny D - Inner-city America is often stereotyped as a place of random violence; in fact, violence in the inner city is regulated through an informal but well-known code of the street. How you dress, talk, and behave can have life-or-death consequences, with young people particularly at risk.

The culture of the street thrives and often defeats decency because it controls public spaces, so that individuals with higher, better aspirations are often entangled in the code and its self-destructive behaviors.

The code is a response to the lack of jobs that pay a living wage, to the stigma of race, to rampant drug use, to alienation and lack of hope. An individual's safety and sense of worth are determined by the respect he commands in public, a deference frequently based on an implied threat of violence. Unfortunately, even those with higher aspirations can often become entangled in the code's self-destructive behaviors.

At the heart of the code is the issue of respect, loosely defined as being treated 'right' or being granted one's 'props' (or proper due) or the deference one deserves.

It may be hard for some to understand that have never experienced inner-city life.

Umm dood nick never lived in the inner city....he lived in morada...I you don't know what that is. It's NOT a bad neighborhood. Just the rest of Stockton is ghetto as fuck. I grew up 4 miles from the guy. Yes some of our friends have been shot and stabbed but shit man that kind of stuff happens around here. Unless your in Lodi, then there is almost no crime lol Phone Post

Shit I live in Richmond, VA and we don't stab, we shoot Phone Post

nickgjj -
Johnny D - Inner-city America is often stereotyped as a place of random violence; in fact, violence in the inner city is regulated through an informal but well-known code of the street. How you dress, talk, and behave can have life-or-death consequences, with young people particularly at risk.

Umm dood nick never lived in the inner city....he lived in morada...I you don't know what that is. It's NOT a bad neighborhood. Just the rest of Stockton is ghetto as fuck. I grew up 4 miles from the guy. Yes some of our friends have been shot and stabbed but shit man that kind of stuff happens around here. Unless your in Lodi, then there is almost no crime lol Phone Post

I wasn't implying that nick ever lived in the inner city, my point was the "culture" that has influenced Nick over the years.

One does not need to live in the inner city to experience inner city culture, although the majority of those who do experience this culture live in major cities. Phone Post

Lol it's still wrong man. This is mostly farming country out here. Phone Post

Your making assumptions off of clips that you have seen of him. He just isn't a good public speaker. He isn't really ghetto if you meet him in public. The way he is portrayed and the way in which he really is are two totally different things Phone Post

I grew up in south Africa. I have always found the western world ghetto posturing to be quite humorous. Those cunts don't know good they have it but they lack any substance in their lives or self respect so invent drama around this bullshit ideal of respect.

In real ghettos in places like south Africa hoodlums are killing each other over life or death situations like access to food or clean water or a roof over their heads.

Blowing someone away over their gang colours in a developed country is not tough it's retarded. Phone Post

nicks a tad easier to understand than tito

nickgjj - Your making assumptions off of clips that you have seen of him. He just isn't a good public speaker. He isn't really ghetto if you meet him in public. The way he is portrayed and the way in which he really is are two totally different things Phone Post

Then he's a faker, I'm not wrong at all.

Go back and watch the press conference, And compare it to what I posted. How he talks dresses and behaves fits the bill perfectly.

He has higher aspirations,

He speaks of the difficult, hard early life.

He says he deserves respect, And implied the threat of violence.

I've seen this a million times growing up on the streets of Detroit, So if what you're saying is true, then Nick is a faker wannabe.

I really don't think that's the case, I know Nick is a good guy, but the influence of the street culture is undeniable.

I'm just trying to point out that it's not always important to understand what he says as much as it is to understand the culture that influences it.

To me, in that light, Nick makes a little more sense. Phone Post

ghetto respect isn't cultured it is assinine.  It's jungle law caveman shit there is no intellectual or moral underpinning to ghetto trash demanding respect while showing none.