Unexpected Results

I've been focusing exclusively on on bodyweight exercises for the last 4-5 months.  I usually do pushups, squats, pullups & crunches 5 days a week (Mon-Fri) and do a lower number of just pushups and squats on the weekends.

I lifted weights today and was stronger than I've been in years.  The most I've ever bench pressed was 225 for 1 rep about 10 years ago (I've never had a great bench).  Today I did 215 for a single and just missed a rep with 225.

I figured I would be considerably weaker after not lifting for a few months but that definitely was not the case.  Anyone else experienced this from bodyweight exercises?

I am going to keep lifting once a week and keep doing the bodyweight exercises daily as well and see how things progress over the next few months.

how old are you

I will be 35 this year.

Old man strength is starting to kick in.

I noticed a similar change after doing circuits involving press-ups for a 3 months period. Took my bench up 11 pounds.

It basically involved 20 seconds of flat out max press ups 10 times over a 30 minute period. Worth thinking about.

I had a similar experience everytime I've done anything 5-6x per week; I've noticed it with kettlebells, bodyweight exercises, sledgehammer training, and carrying sandbags for distance (exercises where I typically had a fixed resistance that I would use in a similar fashion almost daily for months at a time). Anytime I've been able to make something a daily thing (or almost daily) my body responded to it more dramatically then I would expect. Going from 3x a week to 6x a week seems to more than double (in many instances) the benefit I got from whatever the thing was.

BY benefit, I mean that whatever quality I was trying to improve with the activity seemed to improve more quickly. I really enjoy this type to training, as well, and I find I get a lot more out training in a way I really enjoy (even if it is sub-optimal for my goal).

It's of course not going to build max strength as quickly as a programmed, progressive lifting routine will, but I don't compete in strength sports and lost interest in ME lifting several years ago.

Seul - I had a similar experience everytime I've done anything 5-6x per week; I've noticed it with kettlebells, bodyweight exercises, sledgehammer training, and carrying sandbags for distance (exercises where I typically had a fixed resistance that I would use in a similar fashion almost daily for months at a time). Anytime I've been able to make something a daily thing (or almost daily) my body responded to it more dramatically then I would expect. Going from 3x a week to 6x a week seems to more than double (in many instances) the benefit I got from whatever the thing was.

BY benefit, I mean that whatever quality I was trying to improve with the activity seemed to improve more quickly. I really enjoy this type to training, as well, and I find I get a lot more out training in a way I really enjoy (even if it is sub-optimal for my goal).

It's of course not going to build max strength as quickly as a programmed, progressive lifting routine will, but I don't compete in strength sports and lost interest in ME lifting several years ago.
This might be it - I have worked bodyweight exercises in the past but typically only 3-4 days a week and never had results like this.  Maybe it is the daily workouts that are the difference.  Or the beginning of old man strength like LittleJoeMama said haha.

Whatever it is I'm going to keep it up as long as it continues working.  It will be interesting to see if my strength keeps improving from lifting once a week and daily bodyweight exercises.

11 years ago to get ready for my wedding my best man and I did a navy seal workout for 16 weeks to get in better shape. My bench went down about 15-20lbs but his went up. He went from struggling with 225 for 4-5 reps to hitting it for a dozen. When we finished I was over all much stronger than I was before but I was weaker with weights, my friend on the other hand had all his workout numbers go up without touching a weight for 4 months.

supercompensation

I switched over to Paleo about 3-4 weeks ago and feel great.  Diet is pretty simple:

Breakfast: 8 ounces of lean meat, large mixed vegetable salad, water and vitamins, coffee (black)

Lunch: Same as breakfast except no vitamins or coffee

Dinner: Omlette with 2 whole eggs, a cup of egg whites & frozen vegetables, large vegetable salad like the other 2 meals

Snacks (2-3 times a day): 2 pieces of fruit and 1 oz of almonds or walnuts

I drink quite a bit of water, probably somewhere between 96 and 128 ounces a day.  I also have 2 cheat meals a week (Wednesday dinner and Sunday dinner) where I have any foods I've been craving (soda, chips, starchy carbs, candy bar, etc.)