United Freakshow Combat

LOL at the people defending this signing

they called it a freakshow in PRIDE
they called it a freakshow in Strikeforce

but when it comes to the UFC its legitimate competition according to the UG.
A man who has never fought mma, who is "training the fundamentals" with Ibarra is in the big show.

I guess the UFC saw the ratings with Walker and wanted a piece.

No a guy who has serious boxing skills. The same as guy who has serious wrestling skills, serious muay thai skills. Just because he was famous before signing to the UFC does not make it a freakshow. Go cry in your corner.

Strikeforce signed a former professional boxing champion? When did this happen?

LOL @ this retarded thread.

Toney has SERIOUS boxing skills. Boxing = Major Component of MMA

PRIDE trotted out guys like DOS CARAS who has no skill relating to MMA at all. Strikeforce has a guy like Herchel Walker who, while an elite athlete, is not accomplished at anything that relates to MMA.

LMFAO @ not being able to see the difference.

^^^6
OH fuck serious boxing skills!!!!
i cant waint untill they sing Mike TYSON or RAY MERCER

FUCK
LMFAO AT THE DIFFERENCES!!!

HAHA maybe they can have him fight Kimbo just in case you missed that Mercer fight

James Toney>Giant Silva

^^^
im glad we got that straight.
Giant Silva and DOS CARAS are definitely the gatekeeper for freakshows, and it seems by consensus that James TONEY JUST BARELY CLEARED THAT HURDLE.

double post

word is KIMBO is a legimitate boxing champion

You are comparing a guy who is an accomplished boxer to people who had no previous experience in combat sports before they participated in mma.

Personally I think the first decent grappler he fights will completely destroy him. But it makes sense to bring him in and give him a chance.

Kimbo
Toney
Brock

Fletch F Fletch - LOL @ this retarded thread.

PRIDE trotted out guys like DOS CARAS who has no skill relating to MMA at all. Strikeforce has a guy like Herchel Walker who, while an elite athlete, is not accomplished at anything that relates to MMA.

Dos Caras was a serious greco-roman wrestler and had a medal at the pan ams. he was likely to compete for mexico in the olympics in 2000 but mexico did not send a team.

Dos Caras is legit and still competes. He was serious about MMA with the mask and he's still serious with out it!

Toney unlike others chased down Dana even becomming Danas first heckler!

He's only 41! and hasn't stopped being an active fighter!
The fact he hasn't stopped and is not doing this as some out of retirement need money thing shows no matter what he's threat level.

Does anyone know what weight class Toney will be fighting in? He wants Kimbo, so I'm guessing heavyweight. I think he's going to learn real quick that being a small heavyweight is much harder in MMA than boxing. Weight is a much bigger factor when it's on top of you than when its standing across from you. Kimbo's been training at ATT for nearly a year now. Laugh if you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo put a grappling clinic on Toney. One year of training doesn't make Kimbo a good grappler by any measure, but compared to Toney he might as well be Rickson.

I also think Juanito is a horrible coach for him. He's primarily a boxing trainer and hasn't worked with anyone of note in MMA other than Rampage. Under his tutelage 'Page did seem to improve his striking but to the neglect of his other skills. Toney's ability with his hands is not in question. His ability to grapple, clinch, and deal with kicks are. Rampage was already solid in those areas when he started working with Juanito.

I just read Toney's wikipedia page. I didn't know he's come up hot twice for steroids. Hope he realizes they do test in MMA, and as a 2 time loser, he'll almost certainly be "randomly" selected for a test. I'm not bashing him for it. There are plenty of mma guys I like that have been busted too. It's just another thing to keep in mind with him though.

Fletch F Fletch - LOL @ this retarded thread.

yup

Toney is a Top 10 ranked heavyweight in the World right now...in the 3 major orgs..WBC/IBF/WBO

and he didnt buy that ranking...he weighed 217 in his last bout.  Toney is legit and might be serious abt not getting embarrassed in MMA..

If he lands against anyone at heavyweight....he can puttem to sleep..

but time will tell...

Mar

UFC® signs James Toney

Ed Mulholland

He’s one of the premier boxers of the last 25 years, a future Hall of Famer who has won world titles in three weight classes while taking on a Who’s Who of the sport, including fellow champions Evander Holyfield, John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Roy Jones Jr., Mike McCallum, Iran Barkley, and Michael Nunn. But there is one more mountain left to climb for James “Lights Out” Toney, and that’s to show if he can defeat the mixed martial arts warriors of the UFC®.

So later this year, UFC President Dana White is prepared to give Toney his shot, signing the boxing superstar to a multi-fight contract this week to compete in the UFC.

“A lot of pro boxers have made a lot of noise about how they would do in mixed martial arts, but nobody on the level of a James Toney has been willing to back up his talk,” said White. “He’s a legend whose boxing record speaks for itself, and he’s a guy who I’ve got a lot of respect for. Now he’s got every intention of matching that success in MMA, and I think he’s got the right attitude – let’s see if he can do it.”

Owner of an amazing 72-6-3 (2 no contests) record that includes 44 wins by knockout, 41-year old James Toney is respected throughout the boxing world for his old-school approach to the fight game. For him, that means fighting anyone at anytime, and doing so by emphasizing all aspects of the sweet science.

31-2 as an amateur, Toney soon turned his sights to the pro game in 1988, and in 1991 he won his first world title at middleweight by knocking out unbeaten champion Michael Nunn in the 11th round. After six successful defenses, he moved up to 168 pounds and defeated Iran Barkley for the super middleweight championship in 1993, but he wasn’t done yet. After a stay at light heavyweight, Toney won the cruiserweight world title by defeating Vassiliy Jirov in 2003’s Fight of The Year, and his success continued at heavyweight, where he defeated Evander Holyfield, Dominick Guinn, and Fres Oquendo. In his most recent bout, on September 12, 2009, Toney – a two-time winner of the Boxing Writers Association of America’s Fighter of the Year award – halted Matthew Greer in two rounds.

Current UFC fighters Marcus Davis, Chris Lytle and Alessio Sakara have competed as professional boxers in the past, but with today’s announcement, Toney becomes the most accomplished boxing veteran to ever compete in the Octagon™.

An opponent and date for Toney’s UFC debut has not been determined, and will be announced at a later date.

Alias: Lights Out

Birth Name: James Nathaniel Toney

Born: 1968-08-24 (Age:41)

Birthplace: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

Nationality: US American

Hometown: Sherman Oaks, California, USA

Boxing Record: click

Stance: Orthodox

Height: 5′ 10″   /   178cm

Reach: 72″   /   183cm

Trainers: Freddie Roach (former), Shadeed Suluki

Managers: Jackie Kallen (former), Self

A multiple division champion and future Hall of Famer, James Toney is known for his legendary "old-school" style, consisting of his shoulder roll (used to avoid punches), his ability to fight off the ropes, his slick body movements, and his infighting.

On April 30, 2005, Toney defeated John Ruiz and, at that moment, was just the third World Middleweight Champion to capture a version of the World Heavyweight Championship, along with Roy Jones Jr. and Bob Fitzsimmons.

However, on May 11, 2005, Toney tested positive for a banned substance, and his victory over Ruiz was changed to a no-contest. He was also suspended for 90 days and fined $10,000. On May 17, 2005, Toney was stripped of the WBA title for his positive test, and the title was restored to Ruiz.

Amateur Career

Record: 35 fights, 33 wins (32 KO's), 2 losses

• Lost his first amateur bout

• Won 1983 and 1984 West Michigan Division Junior Title (156 LBS)

• Won 1987 Novice Golden Gloves in Manchester (156 LBS)

• Won 1987 Michigan Silver Gloves (156 LBS)

• Lost at the 1988 Detroit Golden Gloves (first fight) (156 LBS)

• Won 1988 Ohio State Fair (156 LBS) (invitational)

Awards & Recognition

say what u want about him.....but he will be the most accomplished and talented boxer to ever step foot in the cage ..or any MMA ring...