University

I can do a physio course at la trobe which consists of 2 years in bundoora and then 2 years in bendigo. It requires a slightly lower enter score so i should be able to get in. Would anyone be able to give me a rough % chance of me transferring from that course into just normal physio at la trobe?

Don't know about LaTrobe physio but it wouldn't be easy to transfer into MelbUni physio. I know even less about transfering physio to physio.

Every year there are generally a lot more students than there are places. It comes down to how good your marks are. If you consistently score 80% or above, then you have a chance (remember there are heaps of other high-achieving students out there trying to transfer in too), if you consistently score around the 75% mark, then you'd be right to sweat a bit about your transfer application. Anything below 75% scores you can forget about it. Go join the circus instead.

Would the fact that i am transferring into the 3rd year of the course give me any more chance than people coming from other courses such as biomedical science etc who i asume would be transferring into the first year of the course?

Also i have been told that if i go down to La Trobe and speak with the people there i will have more chance of getting in on a fringe enter because they may recognise my name and that i am keen. However i assume it would be difficult to do this or else there would be lots of people who would be doing it.

I don't know how it would go here in Aus for a specific university, but in general, it never hurts to give people a chance to put a name with a face. Someone who has gone to Latrobe or another local Unie would be better at telling you how much influence individuals in a department have on accepting people.

Kyle

"Would the fact that i am transferring into the 3rd year of the
course"

You would have to check to see if this is possible at all. Some
courses do not allow you to transfer that far into the course while
retaining all subject exemptions from your previous course.

In medicine for example, if you're transfering from any other
course into medicine, you have to start from the beginning. There
are very very rare occasions when they may give you an
exemption for the first year but that's it. Even if you were to
transfer from a med course to another med course, it is very hard
to gain exemptions for all the previous work you have done. The
med people prefer an assurance that you've learnt as much of the
curriculum they've set out, to produce doctors at the standard
they intend.

Even in law no matter how much of a law course I'd done
previously, I could ever only gain 50% exemption max, regardless
if I'd already completed 60% of another law course somewhere
else.

Damn that sucks.

These courses are both at La Trobe Uni Bundoora, but for the Bendigo one it is continued for the last 2 years in Bendigo. The course would be exactly the same for the first 2 years and im assuming that we would be also in the sme classes as the people doing Physio just at La Trobe. Considering that the work would be exactly the same would that same principle still apply where i would have to repeat the first year?

i dunno man, that's why i said to go check it out at latrobe. if it's
all the same maybe it won't be a problem?

hey lach, from your ENTER score I assume you're not a stranger to
the books. If you are able to maintain your study habits and your
grades at uni then you shouldn't have too much of a problem
getting into a course that you want. Keep in mind that out of
every high achieving student at uni there are probably 10 beer
drinking pot smoking student who's there to have fun. A
disclaimer though: the course you're in will affect that 1-in-10
statistic. ie, there are very very few slackers in medicine since it
takes insanely focused students to get into a course like that to
begin with.

My advice to you is to stay focused, never lose that initial
enthusiasm and optimism that most uni students have in the
beginning of their courses. Again, the most important thing is to
find out what really makes you happy (be it medicine,
physiotherapy, garden landscaping, whatever). Once you do,
you're going to want to fight for it. Things will hopefully take a life
on its own and nothing will stop you from getting there.

Thanks for the advice Gakami, chances are i will get into physiotherapy at Bendigo and therefore i will have alot of motivation to work hard for the first 2 years so i can try to transfer and not have to travel all the way to Bendigo each week. Although my best chance for transferring would be after the 1st year.

Any suggestions/advice on being able to apply/attend a master's program at a Uni in sydney? Either U of Sydney or UNSW preferably?

I have research alot of the stuff regarding overseas loans and other things here in the U.S. and was just wondering if anyone has any sort of experiences with people going down such a path?

Thanks.

What kind of masters degree are you thinking of doing?

What "path" are you referring to here, the undertaking of a student loan, or a masters degree in sydney, or difference between sydney uni and unsw?

The "path" i was referring to was that of U.S. citizens attending Australian Unis for postgraduate work.

Just wondering if anyone had any friends with experiences, or are actually U.S. citizens doing so right now.

I've already looked through the general information that the Unis provide, as well as what the U.S. government provides for students seeking loans to study overseas, so I'm set with that. Basically just inquiring about anyone's personal experiences.

I've known a number of US and Canadian overseas students coming to Australia to study. They generally come here as an exchange student from their home university back in the US/Canada, gaining credits for their studies here. They're usually only here for a semester or two.

I haven't really known many from the US/Canada region who have come here specifically to complete whole courses. The few of them who do are postgrad students (masters/PhD) that I've known. I'm not implying that is a good or bad thing but I personally think it's because the US has many great universities as it is, so it is not like they will gain any edge or prestige completing their undergrad at an Australian university. That's not to say that a number of Australian universities don't have good international reputations. Most international students in Australia come from countries where the college/universities are lacking, or where a western degree provides an advantage in the workforce back home.

But anyway everyone of the US/Canadians have had a great time while here. And they usually take the opportunity to travel around Australia bit before they go back.

An undergrad degree in anything is a huge help. I have a friend who started out doing a degree in Applied Science - microbiology. He realised after two years that he does not want to work in that field and dropped out.

He had problems finding work, and could only get low paying work. I convinced him to finish his degree because then he had the choice of starting another without competing against the school leavers, and his chances of getting a decent job in a completely different field are greatly improved. It shows your prospective employee that you can apply yourself. And what you really get out of Uni is technique! The technique of learning.

Oh and he's got a great job in IT now, he recently got promoted to being the manager in his department.