Up to what Age keep strength??

It is pretty established fact that we loose our speed by mid 30 or so . But, How long can we keep our strength up. Looking at guys like Dan Severn etc, I am guessing 50.

TrevorRice

"It is pretty established fact that we loose our speed by mid 30 or so . But, How long can we keep our strength up. Looking at guys like Dan Severn etc, I am guessing 50."

I think I've read that men can make strength gains indefinitely.

Mark

I read after 40 you keep strenght up, after decline but slowly if you continue with exrecises.

Depends on what kind of strength you're referring to. For one-rep max strength, some of the best powerlifters in the world are in their fourties and fifties. For grappling strength, I'm sure Severn is still a very strong guy today, but I doubt he's quite as strong as he was 10 or 20 years ago.

Think it depends on your training routine. You have to train smarter the older you get.

Cool topic...

When you hit 40, it's harder to create NEW muscle. You can, but it's harder. You have to work hard to maintain. If a younger guy worked out as hard, he'd show more results, but its not impossible for over 40's to build new muscle and be stronger than when they were 20. Diet will drag an older guy down quicker and harder than a younger guy. We store fat easier...that and having to work harder to create new muscle...well, you get the idea.

Strength gains can pretty much be made by anyone indefintely....but its harder and harder. Muscle breaks down easier as you get older. As JJD said, it depends on your routine. As you get older, too much cardio breaks it down faster. A good balance of cardio and weight trainer is needed.

Lets face it, our bodies start to deteriorate as we get older, BUT...IM NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!! LOL...