Upgrading (adding) RAM on my PC

I have an 8-year-old HP Pavilion desktop with all original components:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 GHz
6 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce graphics card
1 TB HDD

I've recently clean-installed Windows 10 (replacing Vista).

I'd like to upgrade the computer by adding more RAM, assuming it will speed up the computer.

A friend has the same computer which he no longer uses. Can I remove the 6 GB RAM from his PC and install it in mine? Is it that simple? Or is that original RAM "built-in" and not removable?

Is this even recommended?

Thanks

Oh, and to be clear, I'm assuming adding the 6 GB to my PC brings up the total RAM power to 12 GB.

I use a Mac so I cannot speak to the mechanical repair aspect of your machine, but I added RAM years ago and it was a huge performance booster. Right now, my 2011 MacBook Pro is running 16gb RAM and has a 2TB SSD drive with an additional internal 500GB SSD. It is almost 6 years old and runs better, faster, and more reliably than the day I brought it home.

Just pop it in the WFA slot.

Simples.

Upgrade the WFA 

Get a ssd and the ram he has may not be the same type as yours. Lets say he has ddr4 2666 ram, and your system takes ddr 3 1833 ram. Cant do it. But you can put higher speed ddr3 ram in there and it will just act like 1833. Hope that makes sense. More ram and a ssd will give you a major performance boost. 

Having 16Gb of RAM in windows 10 is good. 8Gb is passable. Anything less is not going to go well.

Adding an SSD as a OS and program drive will massively improve performance.

Make sure the new RAM is compatible with your mainboard.

Read the WFA manual - it has all the answers.

Try putting OS/2 on that dinosaur.

Ryann Von Doom -

Get a ssd and the ram he has may not be the same type as yours. Lets say he has ddr4 2666 ram, and your system takes ddr 3 1833 ram. Cant do it. But you can put higher speed ddr3 ram in there and it will just act like 1833. Hope that makes sense. More ram and a ssd will give you a major performance boost. 

This right here.  An SSD will do way more to speed your system up than ram will.  Particularly on an older system the extra ram isn't going to help you that much and in some cases can increase stress on your system if you're increasing the number of channels being used on your motherboard.  Wait for a sale on a samsung evo 250 or 500 and reinstall windows on it.  It'll feel like you got a new computer.

GuttyProfessor - 

I use a Mac so I cannot speak to the mechanical repair aspect of your machine, but I added RAM years ago and it was a huge performance booster. Right now, my 2011 MacBook Pro is running 16gb RAM and has a 2TB SSD drive with an additional internal 500GB SSD. It is almost 6 years old and runs better, faster, and more reliably than the day I brought it home.

That's awesome to hear and I'd love to experience a similar thing.

Ryann Von Doom - 

Hmm... I'll see what type of RAM his is.
Yes, I've considered an SSD, but moving the OS to the SSD seems complicated.

Thanks.

Calavaro - Having 16Gb of RAM in windows 10 is good. 8Gb is passable. Anything less is not going to go well.

Adding an SSD as a OS and program drive will massively improve performance.

Make sure the new RAM is compatible with your mainboard.

Anything less than 8 GB RAM won't go well?

But Microsoft indicates the minimum requirements for Windows 10 is 1 GB for 32-bit and 2 GB for 34-bit systems. So I'd assume my original 6 GB was comfortably enough.

time traveling 12er - 
Ryann Von Doom -

This right here.  An SSD will do way more to speed your system up than ram will.  Particularly on an older system the extra ram isn't going to help you that much and in some cases can increase stress on your system if you're increasing the number of channels being used on your motherboard.  Wait for a sale on a samsung evo 250 or 500 and reinstall windows on it.  It'll feel like you got a new computer.

How big of an SSD should I get?

Besides storing and running the Windows OS, it should also store and run all the apps, right?

And my docs, pics, music and videos on the HDD ok?

6 gb is enough, SSD will give you a boost, maybe you can the cpu xeon mod?

cpu is kinda old

Depends also on the motherboard. My mother's computer is super slow so I was going to get her more RAM, SSD. I looked on crucial.Com and it turns out her motherboard only supports a maximum of 4g RAM. Go on crucial.com and run to crucial system scanner to find out what you have and what you can upgrade to.

tenchu - 
time traveling 12er - 
Ryann Von Doom -

Besides storing and running the Windows OS, it should also store and run all the apps, right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H5KW8VG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

There is a 120gb version of that SSD for $56. I have one, it's highly rated on Toms hardware and a good price.

crucial.com can tell u what ram u need

tenchu -
time traveling 12er - 
Ryann Von Doom -

120gb SSD for win 10 only and swap file, us the hdd for storing data