Uploaded six books to Kindle, AMA

Six-book comedy series... AMA about the process (formatting, writing, marketing strategy) I'll answer the best I can.

I'm calling the series the illegitimate love child of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Blue Mountain State

First book: Dojo Storm - The guys storm Kung Fu Tech. It ends horribly so they put on a seminar complete with a party ball, cotton candy and a “pony”. It goes equally as bad.

Would love to have some OG'ers check it out. 99 cents now but I'll probably make the first one free in four or five days.

Here's a link if a blue would hook me up: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSWM3UQ/

What does it cost to put on amazon? And what percentage do you make per book? Phone Post 3.0

Mihow - I was confused until I realized you wrote it

now i'm confused why you didn't just make one book seeing as the first one is 40 pages?

i'm really confused about why i'm going to read this, but it's probably the jackass and the donkey

Haha, should have been more clear. Yeah I wrote it and each one is about 40 to 50 pages I think. They are independent of each other kind of like episodes of a TV show. That's why I'm calling them 'book-shows'.

3rdAnd3 - What does it cost to put on amazon? And what percentage do you make per book? Phone Post 3.0

Doesn't cost anything. My only expense was hiring a guy at Fiverr to do the covers. For books under $2.99 I get 35%. For books $2.99 and over it's 70%.

Hunter Thompson's .45 - What have you written before this? How did you go about getting them on Kindle? Phone Post 3.0

I've done a fictionalized account about a family from Eritrea, Africa under a pen name. It is a full 300 page book with two shorter books about family members accompanying it.

It's actually really easy to get them on Kindle. Once you are set up through Amazon with a Kindle Direct Publishing account and have your book formatted (and I just use word) you can follow Amazon's simplified formatting guide to do the last few steps. It takes maybe 20 minutes. Then you just upload the book and Amazon reviews it. After maybe a day it is available and they send a link.

kanotoa - Great job op. I have a Kindle and I'll download your book and leave you a funny 5 star review. Phone Post 3.0

Awesome, and I'd really appreciate a funny 5 star review. Getting good reviews is really important! Thanks

Have you considered doing a compilation? If you are only making 35% of the $.99 why not also have an option to buy them as a bundle. All six for $5.00 would make you more than selling each one individually. Plus if someone decides to buy the bundle after reading the first book you'll make that commision twice. Phone Post 3.0

QuinTheEskimo - Have you considered doing a compilation? If you are only making 35% of the $.99 why not also have an option to buy them as a bundle. All six for $5.00 would make you more than selling each one individually. Plus if someone decides to buy the bundle after reading the first book you'll make that commision twice. Phone Post 3.0
This man gets it. Didn't know commerce was so intricate in the frozen wastes of canada. Phone Post 3.0

Hunter Thompson's .45 - 
Blade T -
Hunter Thompson's .45 - What have you written before this? How did you go about getting them on Kindle? Phone Post 3.0

I've done a fictionalized account about a family from Eritrea, Africa under a pen name. It is a full 300 page book with two shorter books about family members accompanying it.

It's actually really easy to get them on Kindle. Once you are set up through Amazon with a Kindle Direct Publishing account and have your book formatted (and I just use word) you can follow Amazon's simplified formatting guide to do the last few steps. It takes maybe 20 minutes. Then you just upload the book and Amazon reviews it. After maybe a day it is available and they send a link.
Vu for the info. I'm gonna do this.

Check out the thread "OG writers check in here." There are lots of talented folks on the OG. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, I thought of that thread when making this one. Definitely a lot of talented people and it's not hard to get books on Kindle.

BadRobot321 - 
QuinTheEskimo - Have you considered doing a compilation? If you are only making 35% of the $.99 why not also have an option to buy them as a bundle. All six for $5.00 would make you more than selling each one individually. Plus if someone decides to buy the bundle after reading the first book you'll make that commision twice. Phone Post 3.0
This man gets it. Didn't know commerce was so intricate in the frozen wastes of canada. Phone Post 3.0

I actually have a compilation available (and I added stupid interviews with the main characters). All six for $2.99. Hopefully most people will buy that because of the 70% royalty. Thanks for looking out for me!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTKTPJ4

Hunter Thompson's .45 - 
Blade T -
Hunter Thompson's .45 - 
Blade T -

Vu for the info. I'm gonna do this.

Check out the thread "OG writers check in here." There are lots of talented folks on the OG. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, I thought of that thread when making this one. Definitely a lot of talented people and it's not hard to get books on Kindle.
You should post there. I use it mostly as an exercise in writing, but I have put some finished stuff on there as well. Phone Post 3.0

I'll try to do that. I'm working on 'season 2' of the Cageheads series now so it might be good to post there for guidance/feedback.

Interesting. In. Phone Post 3.0

I have a kindle and it will let me read it for free, will you still get paid the same?

3rdAnd3 - I have a kindle and it will let me read it for free, will you still get paid the same?

I think if you are a prime member you can read it for free. Not sure though. I don't think I get paid for those, but it's all good. Thanks for checking it out.

My wife put 2 books on "Truly, Madly, Deeply" Fifty Shades type book and "The Branded" both by L. S. Scott but she doesn't really know anything marketing. Any help would be appreciated. Phone Post 3.0

In. I'm working on a few different books. Phone Post 3.0

Blade T - 
3rdAnd3 - I have a kindle and it will let me read it for free, will you still get paid the same?

I think if you are a prime member you can read it for free. Not sure though. I don't think I get paid for those, but it's all good. Thanks for checking it out.

yeah I,m a prime member i'll check it out hopefully they pay you.

larry4236 - My wife put 2 books on "Truly, Madly, Deeply" Fifty Shades type book and "The Branded" both by L. S. Scott but she doesn't really know anything marketing. Any help would be appreciated. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not exactly great at marketing either. My plan with these is to offer one or two of them for free from time to time and place FB ads to the free books targeting Louis CK fans, Tucker Max fans, etc. Hopefully people will read and then download the others.

I've also used sites like Booksends or Bookbub before. You have to discount the book and spend money to use them. Sometimes it's hard to get accepted, but they send the book out to their email lists.

I'm still searching for that marketing sweet spot.

bruddahoodaman - In. I'm working on a few different books. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck, I'll give any tips I can.

Blade T - 
larry4236 - My wife put 2 books on "Truly, Madly, Deeply" Fifty Shades type book and "The Branded" both by L. S. Scott but she doesn't really know anything marketing. Any help would be appreciated. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not exactly great at marketing either. My plan with these is to offer one or two of them for free from time to time and place FB ads to the free books targeting Louis CK fans, Tucker Max fans, etc. Hopefully people will read and then download the others.

I've also used sites like Booksends or Bookbub before. You have to discount the book and spend money to use them. Sometimes it's hard to get accepted, but they send the book out to their email lists.

I'm still searching for that marketing sweet spot.

Another idea for marketing is trying to make the first book in a series perma-free by making it free elsewhere and then having people tell Amazon. That way it might bring readers into the other book(s).