US military begins testing Hummer replacement

DALLAS, Aug. 14, 2013 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] celebrated the delivery of 22 Joint Light Tactical Vehicles to the U.S. Army and Marine Corps under the JLTV program's Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) contract.

JLTV team members marked the milestone during a ceremony at the Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control facility in Dallas. The vehicles will be transferred to the Army's Yuma Test Center in Arizona and to Aberdeen Test Center in Maryland, where Lockheed Martin will support a 14-month period of government evaluation and testing.

"Our team has produced a highly capable, reliable and affordable JLTV for our customers," said Scott Greene, vice president of ground vehicles for Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. "These vehicles will meet the toughest demands of our Soldiers and Marines. They deserve our best, and that's precisely what we delivered."

After rolling up more than 160,000 combined test miles in the program's Technology Development phase, the Lockheed Martin JLTV was selected for continued development through a $65 million EMD contract from the Army and Marine Corps in August 2012. Lockheed Martin designed its JLTV specifically to meet stated customer requirements for the program, rather than trying to adapt an existing vehicle. The result is a lighter, more blast-resistant and more agile vehicle.

The Lockheed Martin JLTV is designed to be a total solution -- engineered from the ground up to balance the "iron triangle" of protection, performance and payload while maintaining affordability. The vehicle provides greatly improved crew protection and mobility, lower logistical support costs, superior fuel efficiency, exportable power-generation with substantial margin for future growth, and state-of-the-art connectivity with other platforms and systems. A Meritor Pro-TecTM air suspension system contributes to outstanding off-road performance while minimizing crew fatigue.

BAE Systems is responsible for the JLTV's geometrically enhanced protection system, a design that enables levels of blast protection never before achieved in this vehicle class, and for vehicle final assembly.

JLTVs are designed to replace or supplement the existing HMMWV fleet.

Looks like a 84' Chevy pickup. Phone Post

FABombDropper - LOL at "hummer" replacement. I've never heard a single person use that term in the military. Phone Post 3.0
This. Humvee bro Phone Post 3.0

Military Industrial Complex keeps getting richer. Phone Post 3.0

Does it have a key? Phone Post 3.0

To big and bulky. Phone Post

I'd really like to see the numbers when they state things like "affordably priced" and "superior gas efficiency"

The thing looks expensive and too large to drive on civilian roads. How are insecure men supposed to buy it to compensate for all their shortcomings

DarkhorseRising - Does it have a key? Phone Post 3.0

Well let the boots figure that out. Phone Post

the civilian version should be nice...

Can't wait to see Ahnold driving that down the 405 in a month

whitejoe - Looks like a 84' Chevy pickup. Phone Post
Ha ha! Yes! Vtfu Phone Post 3.0

Is this a version of the MRAP?

To render it useless I would toss some gas on the rubber tires and light it up.

Perhaps a Molotov cocktail thrown unto one of the tires?

Really all one has to do is immobilize one of the tires and it's going nowhere.

Edit fail.

Honey Badger - 
FABombDropper - LOL at "hummer" replacement. I've never heard a single person use that term in the military. Phone Post 3.0
This. Humvee bro Phone Post 3.0

Werd.

People trying to market to yuppies came up with hummer.

ReneH - To render it useless I would toss some gas on the rubber tires and light it up.

Perhaps a Molotov cocktail thrown unto one of the tires?

Really all one has to do is immobilize one of the tires and it's going nowhere.

You've figured it out!  damn, why didn't the military think of that?

They're going to be totally screwed...good  thing they don't have thousands of wheeled vehicles in Iraq and Afganistan...

Assuming you did hit it with a moltov, and there was only one vehicle with no support, and no one got out of the vehilcle to shoot you...how long do you think it would take for the fire to burn through the run-flats?  I would just keep driving...

It looks like a hummer on horsemeat Phone Post

It looks huge, how is it going to fit on some tiny mountain road in Afghanistan or wherever is getting invaded next? Phone Post 3.0

Funny how vehicles like this have been around for ages in South Africa Phone Post 3.0