USA Judo's money.

"So what's wrong with joining AAU if you also join USA Judo? A lot of people belong to multiple orgs already. "

Joining AAU just to get sports accident insurance doesn't make any sense, Punk. Also, the clubs would have to join AAU. More money overall for everybody to have to spend.

Ben

PD,

For the AAU insurance to cover an athlete, the event would have to be AAU sanctioned. It's just not practical. It's not like buying private health insurance you can carry around with your whereever you go and whatever you do.

AAU and USJI are legally separate entities as per the Ted Stevens etc etc sports act. They simply cannot get together in any way because of that...it was an act of congress.

Ben

What's the cost for a club to get an AAU membership? How about an AAU sanction for a tournament? What's the fee for a USA Judo sanction? $20?

It just seems that you could sanction all tournaments with the AAU, use their insurance for the athletes/officials and just use the USA Judo membership for ranking/certifications/promoting the sport.

If the JI could keep more money from the membership fee, the loss of event sanctions wouldn't matter. I really don't think it would cost much, if any more. Maybe the club has to join USA Judo and AAU but that can't be that much either. We are talking about less than $50 in a year and the insurance is much better. At least it used to be. I haven't looked at it in many years now.

Is there no requirement from the IOC for governing bodies to maintain insurance? It seems like there would be and that would explain the bullshit insurance we are forced to pay for.

i do believe that the USOC has insurance requirements--in fact i am sure of it.

We are never giving that good of an insurance to our folks- totally
horrible coverage for our folks. However, I believe there is better way to
hold our athletes and participants in good affairs. I think we can do better
but I have no idea how.

David

I am with the mighty Punk Dobbs on his premise in this regard.

Punk, do what I did. Contact the AAU and ask them about your idea. Contact USA Judo and ask as well.

This idea has been floated over the years, Mark Tripp was big on it as I recall. I actually looked into it, it was a no go.

Not to discourage you, though, give it a shot and let us know what you find out.

REgards,

Ben

This insurance the JI gives is "EXCESS" for injury to a participant of a member association. This does not mean you don't have to buy your own insurance for your dojo. It doesn't cover injuries to persons who are not JI members and only kicks in after a very large deductible.

I don't even think that this is insurance..... haha. You have to jack yourself up pretty bad for this policy to even start helping you.

Why not just eliminate the insurance and make all the members get their own.

the JI would not deal with insurance if the USOC did not mandate it. thats the bottom line.

I thought the insurance was mostly to protect the organization from liability, and the $2500 deductible supplemental insurance was just a sidenote?

Ben,

I'll take your word for it. I'm too busy building fences and stalls at the horse ranch I just bought. The fact that the IOC likely requires each org to maintain their own coverage makes it a moot point anyway.

The insurance for the athletes still sucks though. I know from firsthand experience that the insurance WILL protect you if someone gets injured in your class even if the injured party isn't a member. This is the policy you get from being a registered club, however, and is different from the policy under discussion.

interesting thx

Stalls, and fences - yea okay that is why i live in a city. Yea the insurance
sucks but if you make a world, or olympic team the insurance for that
period is pretty good. especially if you are in what was called an operation
gold year and qualify in those events.

I only ever got it for a year, but I think Jimmy got it for quite a while

David

PD... now you bought a horse ranch? damn. must be nice living in iowa. can you get me a job?

actually, Josh, weren't you going to move to the mid-west and become an english teacher with a judo dojo on the side?...

house prices on the west coast are insane, even up here in cheap Canada...

although I couldn't afford a horse ranch and a private dojo in any part of the world anyway, so I'm just using the west coast as my excuse ;o)

Bring a scoop shovel with you Josh and I'll put you to work! I'll give you a tour of the Punk Dobbs ranch when you get here.

Hey Punk, I'm busy here too on the farm/ranch. Thus the lack of activity online for a while. After it thaws out here we spend as much time outside as possible.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

Send me an email at dmjudo@yahoo.com and I'll send you some pics of the "ranch".