USA Senate rejects fast tracking Keystone XL

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Senate has rejected a proposal to fast-track the approval of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.

Pipeline supporters needed 60 votes to win approval for the bill, but it went down to defeat by a margin of 59-41.

Even if passed, the bill was not expected to pass muster with U.S. President Barack Obama, who had hinted strongly he would veto the bill, which is designed to short-circuit the White House’s own environmental review process.

Keystone XL, a political football almost since its inception six years ago, would transport bitumen from Alberta’s oilsands to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast. The question of its approval is now expected to resurface in the new year.

Phone Post 3.0

Fast track? Hasn't this been up for vote several times over the last several years?

This is one of those things the new congress will pass, the president will veto, and congress won't be able to do anything about it.

Yeah, more good paying jobs for Americans is a bad thing.

Thanks, liberals! Phone Post 3.0

that's a long ass pipeline cutting through like 20 states Phone Post 3.0

Jettfag would let Obama fuck his mom. He does no wrong Phone Post 3.0

jettdogg - 
BadDog - Yeah, more good paying jobs for Americans is a bad thing.

This is a nonsense argument. Get over it. The pipeline is a ridiculous idea. A foreign oil company running a pipeline through the heart of the country that will carry toxic oil. Retarded concept to begin with.

What's wrong with one more?

Jambo888 - 

I was very surprised. This is a pretty publicized issue here in Canada as Alberta would stand to profit from a pipeline for their bitumen down to the US refineries. The BC public (province beside Alberta) has balked at a pipeline or expanded capacity from Alberta across our province (to load tankers to China). Alberta figure south was the next best way to go.

From what I had heard, I though this was a sure thing?

It's a no brainier, but obama has made it a political football.

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

White347LX - 
jettdogg - 

This is a nonsense argument. Get over it. The pipeline is a ridiculous idea. A foreign oil company running a pipeline through the heart of the country that will carry toxic oil. Retarded concept to begin with.

What's wrong with one more?

never knew there were pipelines all around the country. seems obvous though. what is all this exactly?  is it just for crude oil?

jettdogg -

There aren't good paying jobs associated with this project? Phone Post 3.0

haven't read up on it but safety for the environment is a big concern.     the stuff they're gonna pump through those pipes sounds aweful. 

So if the U.S government decided it wanted to build internment camps for white male christians, you woud be ok with it becase the project means more jobs, amirite?

PTM2020 -

haven't read up on it but safety for the environment is a big concern.     the stuff they're gonna pump through those pipes sounds aweful. 

Honest question. When you say toxic shit, you mean oil correct? Or is there other product coming through? Phone Post 3.0

Canadian oil company had a huge spill in a Michigan river a few years ago. They still haven't cleaned it all up yet

Mark Phone Post 3.0

jettdogg - Good, fuck em. Guess how many pipeline spills there were in Alberta Canada in the month of October? 90. The West Coast Native News started keeping track because the CA media covers up all these toxic spills and never mentions them.
The nastiest toxic shit ever will be running through that pipeline and these Canadian companies are beyond incompetent. Lets let them destroy half a state. Great idea!

Buddy! Trust us!

jettdogg serious question: Do you honestly think the west coast native news is an unbiased source? do you honestly think it is actual journalism found there?

jettdogg - 

<br />
<span class="User-235539" id="userPost51501212">This is a nonsense argument. Get over it. The pipeline is a ridiculous idea. A foreign oil company running a pipeline through the heart of the country that will carry toxic oil. Retarded concept to begin with.</span></blockquote>

You remind me of a little kid that hears the truth but wants to keep his fingers in his ears.  You know damned well that Obama's own paid environmental study that took two years to complete showed that the environmental impact would be neglible.  That wasn't the answer Obama was looking for so he disregarded the study.  The reasons to stop the pipleline are purely political, not environmental.

I clearly pointed out on another thread that the administrations claims that it would not add jobs is an outright lie.  I sat in on an upper management meeting once at our refinery.  The subject was the Keystone Pipeline and the planned 300 million dollar expansions we were going to start if the pipleline got approved. 

There is a much wider margin between the cost of Keystone crude and the crude we are using now because of transportation costs.   Those profits were going to be used for expansions that would provde for PERMANENT jobs to both Repuplican and Democratic engineers, pipefitters, operators, electricians, instrument men, mechanics, boilermakers, and hundreds of independant contractors and vendors that supply the plants.

Again, the claim that it would not cause job creation is an outright LIE.  I learned that from our ONE plant alone.

LiveWire - 
PTM2020 -

Honest question. When you say toxic shit, you mean oil correct? Or is there other product coming through? Phone Post 3.0

Honest question, did I ever say 'toxic shit' like you are stating?

I'm not against running pipes cross country as long as it's deemed safe and a good safety record to support it. According to that graph there are already hundreds of pipes going through multiple states, probably been like that for years but this pipe for whatever reason has the environmentalists in code red.

Reading up on bitumen now.