USA vs Canada trade deficit

Doesn’t it make sense that the US would have a trade deficit with Canada? 

There are only 30 million customers here, and 300 million potential customers there 

why would we be a dollar for dollar equal trade partner? 

I believe it’s the difference between exports/imports between 2 countries 

The us imported 12 billion more from canada than they exported to us. 

But there are 300 million Americans @ 30 million Canadians.. do the $ per person favours the us for sure 

I love Canadia sending us oil,  wood and other good resources for pieces of paper we print out of thin air,  China too.  I think Trump should be quiet and keep kicking the can down the road before they wise up

Ttt for the day shift peeps

why would a 30 mil country have even trade dollars with a 300 mil country 

That works both ways: You have 300 million sellers and we only have 30 million sellers. You should be flooding us with goods and outselling us easily.

The trade numbers are contested, btw. Canada claims that the US is counting flow through goods (e.g., something brought in from China via Canada) as a Canadian export, even though it is also counted as a Chinese export. Using a different set of numbers, Canada is the one with a trade deficit. Who knows what the truth really is.

Fan of Fanboys -

I took a basic economics class in HS 16 years ago 

I don't know what a trade deficit means or the implications

Love to get high level overview of it 

In case you didn’t pick it up from the previous responses: in simplest terms say, the US buys $300 million worth of goods from Canada - meanwhile Canada buys $50 million worth of goods from the US. There is a trade deficit of $250 million for the US with Canada.

I get that... but Canada only has a market of 30mil...While the USA is 10x that.

shouldnt Canada be able to export 10x as much as it buys? 

Lets say Canada exports maple syrup 

there are 300 million customers in the us 

and the us exports cheese from Wisconsin. 

There are only 30 million buyers 

so the USA should have a trade deficit 

I wish I had a printing press where I could print money and othwr people would give me tangible things

androb - 

I get that... but Canada only has a market of 30mil...While the USA is 10x that.

shouldnt Canada be able to export 10x as much as it buys? 

Lets say Canada exports maple syrup 

there are 300 million customers in the us 

and the us exports cheese from Wisconsin. 

There are only 30 million buyers 

so the USA should have a trade deficit 

USA market is 10x the size and therefore has more variations and interesting things. We want your interesting stuff.

obviously none of you idiots know what a trade surplus/deficit means..

Here, Trudeau will explain it you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oedaSfUU0vc