USA vs Honduras - 9pm

USA vs Honduras 9pm Pacific time
June 18, 2013
World Cup Qualifier
ESPN

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

http://www.ussoccer.com/media-library/videos/us-men/2013/06/130618_mntvhon/studio-90--mnt-getting-ready-for-honduras.aspx

Demarcus Beasley is out because of Yellow Card accumulation.

For some reason Tim Howard isn't out (although it seemed he got his second yellow accumulated the last game).

Jermaine Jones is still unknown but possible after his nasty concussion in the Jamaica game.

Probable starting line ups from http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/06/usmnt-honduras-ahead.html#more-40621

We got this shit on lockdown. 7 straight world cups. Phone Post

PS: I would go to war with Clint Dempsey Phone Post

"Jermaine Jones is still unknown but possible after his nasty concussion in the Jamaica game."

they announced yesterday that jones finished his concussion protocol and is available for the game.

The team has been in good form lately, but I still think Klinsmann makes very odd roster moves. Besler and Evans don't really seem special enough to be playing for the national team.

Gonzalez and Zusi are also guys I'm not 100% sold on. Gonzalez has been caught sleeping several times and while Zusi can put in a quality cross he also isn't a guy who can keep the ball and beat defenders.

You know one of the reasons I looked forward to having Klinsmann managing things was because I assumed he wouldn't be impressed by players who are considered quality in MLS but are mediocre when it comes to the world stage. So far he's been a bit of a disappointment in that regard.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of options in those positions lol. Evans is really only in there because cherundolo asked for time off. As for center backs, we are really shit there, so Gonzalez and Besler are basically our top guys. Our only other option is to bring back boca and onyewu. Im not convinced that would be any better. In that case I would rather go with youth.

I think klinnsman has been playing a lot with the lineup, but I think now he has found his "team". The line up has been consistent, save for needed changes due to yellows or injury, for a few matches now. He's not dumb, he knows that if we want to compete in the world cup we need a solid lineup that plays together game in and game out. It is(or was) just a matter of time until he solidified his A squad.

The team we have had on the field is basically our WC squad IMO. Dolo comes back in at right back, and then the only IF, is if Donovan makes his way back in the team and relgates zusi to the bench. Which I hope happens. There is no comparison between the two. Donovan is better in every way.

I think Cameron or Chandler should be our first-choice RB. They both play most of the minutes at RB for their clubs, both of which are in top leagues. Chandler is injured right now but I think it's foolish to ignore that he's our best long-term option at the position. Cherundolo will be 35 by the time the WC rolls around.

You're right we have dick-all for choices at CB, although I am somewhat curious to see what Gooch could do. He got relatively few minutes for Malaga this season, it would probably be better if he got more minutes for a smaller club. I also thought Edu looked decent when filling in at CB.

I would also like to see a bit more of Brek Shea at LW, and actually Chandler could be an interesting option at RW.

Of course here's hoping that Holden can come back strong with Bolton this season. If so, our central midfield will have some nice depth with Bradley, Jones, and Holden.

rufus - 

PS: I would go to war with Clint Dempsey Phone Post

I wish Dempsey wasn't such a flopper. He's an otherwise very likeable guy and has great skills.

Zusi has been stepping it up since getting into the US Squad. Would definitely like to see Osvaldo Alonzo from Seattle in the US Squad in the near future over Kyle Beckerman, but I think his Cuban national team caps is still in question.

Cannot wait! Phone Post

Loadin76 - Cannot wait! Phone Post
Yes Phone Post 3.0

I went to high school with Cameron. It's cool to see all of his sucess. Phone Post 3.0

Im psyched! 3 pts here and its on to Brazil! But gotta work tonight. Phone Post 3.0

I have been really liking the play of Zusi lately. He helps pusg the pace and gives an outside threat to free up the middle.

Also it great to see Jozy back in form. What a complete difference it makes having him back, the whole team plays looser and pressures more up front. Just gotta keep the momentum going. Phone Post

Starting now:

The USMNT lineup is out early, and here it is:

-------------------------Altidore----------------------

E. Johnson---------Dempsey---------------Zusi

--------------------Jones----Bradley---------------

F. Johnson--Besler-------Gonzalez---Evans

-------------------------Howard-----------------------

In Phone Post

Its hard to watch Espinoza play against the US, as an SKC fan. Phone Post

Besler coughs it up and then Gonzalez completely fails to close down Najar until the last possible second. WTF was that?