USB Hard drive CRC errors

Any tricks to getting data off a drive with CRC errors?

The drive isn't totally shot, I have been able to copy some data off it.

I have poked around and it seems like there are utilities that can slow the speed of the drive down that can help get the data off it?

How do you know there are CRC errors?

Best thing to do would be to take it out of the USB enclosure and read it directly.

90% of the time, reading the drive backward and in PIO mode is your best bet to get the most data off successfully.

Anarkis2 - Did you run a chkdsk on it?

I recommend against running chkdsk unless the bad drive has been imaged to a known-good drive first. chkdsk pretty much assumes that it can trust the lower layers (firmware/physical) on a drive. If there are firmware issues or physical layer problems, running chkdsk can cause irreparable data loss. It'll just keep churning up the data, thinking it's correcting it.

I've had drives where I can read the same block 20 times and it will return a different result every single time. This wreaks havoc on programs like chkdsk.

"How do you know there are CRC errors?"

When I try to copy data off it on some files it fails with a CRC error.

I can crack open the enclosure and try to read the drive directly. Will try that next, thanks for the advice.

Anarkis2 - 
Ho Kogan - 
Anarkis2 - Did you run a chkdsk on it?

I recommend against running chkdsk unless the bad drive has been imaged to a known-good drive first. chkdsk pretty much assumes that it can trust the lower layers (firmware/physical) on a drive. If there are firmware issues or physical layer problems, running chkdsk can cause irreparable data loss. It'll just keep churning up the data, thinking it's correcting it.

I've had drives where I can read the same block 20 times and it will return a different result every single time. This wreaks havoc on programs like chkdsk.

I can't disagree more with you on everything you just said.

I've done over 1400 data recoveries in the last 4 years. How many have you done?