USFL documentary on ESPN tonight...

Was just watching the '30 on 30' documentary series on ESPN. Tonight's episode was about the rise of the USFL and its attempt to challenge the monopoly of the NFL. Anybody else watched?

I see lots of similarities between this story and EliteXC, Affliction, and now Strikeforce's attempt to challenge the UFC's market dominance. Some of the USFL's ownership wanted the league to grow slowly, building a brand over 5-7 years. But ego-maniac Donald Trump and his crew wanted the start-up league to immediately challenge the established NFL. The 'experts' claim that Trump's strategy ultimately helped to kill the league, which had previously experienced conservative success via managed growth and controlled spending.

The competition USFL brought did a lot for the entire sport of football, most importantly increasing player pay. The league was inconsistent, but it scored some huge TV ratings, helped build future NFL stars, and brought a lot of excitement to pro football, which was stale at that time. It also introduced a number of rules now used in the NFL, like the 2-point play and instant replay challenges.

Not sure if the average UGer is even old enough to remember the USFL (I was a huge Oakland Invaders fan). But its a good study for looking at the current competing organizations in MMA.

PatrickFreitas - Not sure if the average UGer is even old enough to remember the USFL (I was a huge Oakland Invaders fan). But its a good study for looking at the current competing organizations in MMA.

I DVR'd this, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I actually grew up across the street from Dave Tipton of the Michigan Panthers and Oklahoma Outlaws.

I missed it, but hoping to catch a re-run.

I'm old ....  but in UG noob fashion, I expected this 2 be a Hershal Walker MMA thread....  :)

my two friends matt mcdonald and dave S are producers/editers on this project.  My buddy dave works for mike tolin who directed it.  His boss loves sports and has done friday night lights, radio, coach carter, varsity blues and so on.

hope everyone likes it they put about 8 months into this